Ptolus: Midwood - "The Dark Waters of Moss Pond"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The group makes a careful and deliberate retreat through the northeast tunnel, following the map once more.

The next chamber in fact, is not the Lady Parts Room, as Tock has insisted on calling it: This huge area is at least 40 feet wide with a ceiling about 10 feet high. A 15-foot chasm bisects the room, running from the east to west walls. The only exit is on the far side.

A metal spike has been hammered into the floor on the near side. A rope has been knotted to the spike and runs across the chasm, where the rope is affixed to another spoke on the opposite side.

Renraw examines the rope and the knot attaching it to the spike. The rope has a few frayed strands from what appear to be small claws, but it appears strong enough. Without claws, though, the Delvers will have to be carefully as they cross, as the rope wobbles a little even under Renraw's inspection.

"Gentlemen, if I could for a moment," Renraw begins. "I might take young Katadid's turn here and suggest something more complicated than our obvious route: We cross two at a time, using Chaplin's rope tied securely around our torsos and thrown over the top as a safety. Should one of us fall, the other can keep the slack until they can climb back up and continue."

Katadid peers down into the ravine, his brow furrowed. The claw marks bother him for some reason, and he attempts to examine them more closely to see if he could guess from what they came from.

"Or climb down and climb up the other side," he mutters. He hands his desiccated rope to his cousin as Tock and Renraw start arguing. Kat reaches into his sack and hands Ragglus a torch hopefully.

Ragglus lights the torch and edges close to the chasm, trying to gauge its depth. The bottom is visible at the dimmest reaches of the torchlight: It's approximately 35 feet deep.

Renraw seems slightly put out by the decision not to test out his rope idea, but Kat's paranoia seems to win out. The Delvers begin to climb down the cavern walls.

They pick their way down the ravine, but as rough as it is, it becomes clear there are sections they can only pass one at a time, necessitating a few urgent discussions while clinging to the rock face.

As Ragglus descends, he finds his foot finally hanging over empty space: Below him is a cave completely hidden by the lip of the rock above it. He's about to call up that he's going to need a second to figure away around it when he hears something shift its weight in the unseen cavity below him.

He silently signals his fellow Delvers above him, pointing to the lip of the rock, and motioning as if to draw his sword.

"Crap, here we go again," Tock mutters to himself.

Katadid waves to Ragglus and points downward. Kat then points to his eyes. Rags shakes his head and taps his ear. Kat nods. Kat holds up his fistful of sand and then puts his hands together and tilts his head yawning as if sleepy. He points to Rags, taps his own ear and then holds his hands apart with a questioning look.

Once Rags has mimed the estimated distance of where the rustling sounds are below him, Kat takes several steps back and begins to mutter an incantation, ending by throwing the sand down the ravine at the hidden cave.

The spell goes off without a hitch, it seems, and there's the sound of something starting to snore. And then it snaps out of it. There's a hissing sound of something both surprised and scared and then the Delvers watch as a rubbery-limbed creature crawls out of the hidden alcove, glances up at the rope line of Delvers above it, and races down the wall.

About the size of a gnome, it is naked all over, and has a mottled, rock-colored hide. Its arms and legs are all extremely long and don't seem to have bones: Its limbs -- probably more properly described as tentacles -- all end in four digits, with the palm of each "hand" in turn covered in small points. The creature glances over its shoulder with panicked black eyes before racing down the ravine wall, its tentacles each shooting out up to 10 feet at a time.

From its alcove, it could have easily reached out and grabbed one of the Delvers as they crossed on the rope.

A moment later, the beast has vanished into the darkness.

"Good job with the 'make it run away' spell, cousin," Tock drawls.

Katadid watches the retreating figure nervously. Motioning for Renraw to hand down his precious staff, Kat climbs down a bit and peers inside the creature's lair, looking to see if anything of interest is inside.

The choker has apparently been making a meal of slow-moving rats crossing the rope above: There are rat carcasses, chewed harnesses and several bags. Some of the bags are still attached to their harnesses, while others have been ripped off and bitten open, only for the choker to discover there's nothing edible inside.

Katadid can see spilled coins, a snuffbox, a perfume bottle and more.

Renraw kicks Katadid gently in the head, urging him to get down and get into the cave. He's tired of hanging, and he, too, would like to see what the choker kept.

"Ow!" He turns to the Delvers. "Treasure."

He and Renraw enter the cave and begin stuffing the most intact harnesses full of the choker's booty.

"We should take everything here back to the top of the chasm and leave it there until we're ready to leave," Renraw says, shoving Katadid away when the younger man attempts to remove some of the huge coins from his bag. "You're out of your mind if you think we're leaving it."

In addition to a large number of half-eaten rats and a few well-gnawed lizards, the choker's lair contains 88 gold pieces, a crystal perfume bottle, an obsidian game piece, a mother of pearl snuffbox and four gems. The treasure goes easily into all the rats' sacks or into the Gentlemen Delver's other gear.

Below them, noises from the bottom of the chasm remind them that they are not alone, nor is the choker unaware of what they're doing.

"Should kill it," Ragglus growls. "Gonna eat us otherwise."

"I don't think so," Kat says, a fistful of sand in his hand once more, but this batch is dyed. He looks up with unusual lucidity. "Chokers, as they are affectionately called by layman, are efficient hunters, but not very bright. They attack from positions of safety and very rarely otherwise. We scared it enough that it wouldn't trust attacking until it's confident. Hence, I think even if we walk down the ravine and back up it will leave us alone. It isn't smart enough to figure out we were lucky in seeing it first.

"However, it may be bright enough to figure out we want the treasure for some reason. If we leave it here, it very well may use it as bait, much like a fancy dagger, especially if we leave it on the side directly under his home."

After pulling the treasure up the eight feet to their side, the Gentlemen Delvers decide to leave the items there for future retrieval. They then finish their climb down and make their way cautiously across the ravine. The choker scrambles away from the group as it makes its way across the bottom of the ravine, its black eyes reflecting the light of Renraw's torch-staff as they pass.

The group makes their ascent of the far side of the ravine. Looking back across the rope bridge, they see the treasure they left behind and Renraw makes a sad little noise in the back of his throat as they head down the next passage.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It twists and turns for almost a thousand feet before opening to another larger cave to the north: The chamber is about 15 feet in diameter with a 10 foot high ceiling. The floor is dusty and covered with fine rock debris only disturbed by the tracks of rats dragging harnesses and sacks. The west wall glints with reflected light from Renraw's staff off of numerous crystals embedded in the wall.

Katadid scans the cavern nervously for any movement or any place that another creature could be hiding.

Renraw scans the area and attempts to ascertain why the map may have been marked with a black pyramid.

What appeared to be the east wall turns out to be a 10-foot high ledge, upon further examination. A chimney appears to lead up above the ledge, leading up, presumably, to the sky. On the north wall is another passageway, leading out of the cave.

Kat taps Ragglus on the shoulder and points toward the ledge. Kat flaps his arms in a bird like motion and points to the chimney.

Ragglus approaches the ledge cautiously from below, keeping an eye out for any obvious ways to rise or climb up.

Renraw finds a nearby rock and chucks it up to the top of the ledge, chuckling to himself.

A voice suddenly booms though the cavern, much louder than could be managed by the shrunken Gentlemen Delvers: "WHO DARES DISTURB THE HIDDEN SHRINE OF KRAN? WHO WILL SUFFER HER INESCAPABLE WRATH?"

"Oh, dear gods," Renraw chokes on his chuckle, his knees beginning to tremble. "Wait, 'her?' Chandler, that's your cue!"

"Shrine," Kat mutters. He grabs Renraw's shaking arm. "Kem! Your books! Does Kran sound familiar in any way?"

"Kran?" Renraw repeats nervously. "Kran?"

"Lady Kran," Tock calls out, "No one of significance disturbs thee, and no one of insignificance does so purposefully. We are simple smallfolk lost in these immense yet beautiful caverns. Know thee, oh holy one, a way out?"

A light of recognition quickly flashes in Renraw's eyes and he leans in to whisper something to Tock.

"Priestess and holy knower of faults, we bow before thee!" Tock continues, nodding at Renraw's whispered message. "Let our faults be known and put upon your altar of knowledge! This one, Cmelak, is full of avarice and anger. My cousin here is feeble of spirit and body and unable to communicate like normal men. The big one is also very angry, and also slow of mind. And I am unable to resist the wiles of femalekind."

"Anger?" Renraw snarls.

"F-feeble?" Katadid gasps.

"Madam, if I may," Renraw says, stepping forward, "Another fault of my companion's is that he speaks out of turn. My spirit harbors no undue anger, oh knower of secrets. If I have a flaw, it's my concern for these others in my company may sometimes hinder my judgment."

Katadid raises an eyebrow.

"FOOLS! RETURN THE WAY YOU CAME, OR FACE THE FULL FORCE OF KRAN'S FURY!"

"May we ask exactly how Kran's fury shall be dispensed? Spells? Webs? Tentacles?" Kat shrugs at the shocked looks of the other Delvers. "What? I'm just asking."

"LEAVE NOW OR LEARN TO YOUR HORROR!"

"Oh, well, that's helpful," Katadid mutters.

"Oh, for," Renraw growls in exasperation. "We have submitted our failings, wise lady, but the feeble one, he has this tic ... if we leave now, we'll be subjected to the gods alone know. We humbly ask what price passage?"

"WHAT LIES BEYOND IS NOT FOR YOUR EYES! MY PATIENCE IS AT AN END! LEAVE NOW OR BE DESTROYED!"

"Actually, there is gold back there," Katadid ponders aloud. "Maybe an offering."

"We're NOT giving her any gold, so just get that out of your mind right now," Renraw snaps.

Kat looks up at the ledge and chimney and tries a hunch. He has had a language banging around in his head for ages, spoken by odd creatures he saw occasionally.

"W-would you be one of the fey folk?" he asks in Sylvan.

"I AM BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION!" A voice booms, in Sylvan, in Katadid's mind.

Kat takes a clear step back, blinking in shock.

"See? I mentioned that avarice!" Tock calls out. "I myself am sick of these new gods, like that usurper Lothian. I search for truth in the way only Kran may give. May I please be your servant and student? I offer you all my worldly possessions. And the greedy one."

"Okay, that does it!" Renraw snaps, face red at the number of times he's been called "greedy" in the past minute. "I've had it with the lot of you! This woman is nothing more than the lonesome cave-dwelling priestess of the dead god of crotch rot, and the bunch of you are nothing more than ungrateful, parasitic, glory-hounding rednecks, and you never would've made it out of the barony without me! And now you're going to give me up? Like that? I knew I couldn't trust any of you! Now, I'm going to go see what's at the end of this gods damned cave and there isn't a single thing any one of you can do to stop me. Have a nice day, oh knower of secrets."

Renraw purposefully marches to the opposite end of the cave to the other exit.

"FOOL!"

There is a noise of wings being unfurled and suddenly the other Gentlemen Delvers see something dark take wing, flying between Renraw's light source and them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Katadid blinks as the dark shape moves across the light. It only takes him a fraction of a second to assemble the silhouette into a full creature, one he'd previously spotted on the shoulder of an alumnus visiting Redhurst when he was a student.

"Oh, dear," he says, the color draining from his face. "DRAGON! PSEUDODRAGON! SCORPION TAIL! POISON! BAD! BAD!"

"Rodger, no! don't summon your powerful hawk!" Tock screams, beginning a magical song of summoning.

"Dishonesty is also among the bearded one's faults, madam!" Renraw shouts over his shoulder. "I summoned no hawk. Now good day!"

The wizard turns tail and runs for the exit.

"'Slow of thought?'" Ragglus mutters.

Looking back over his shoulder, Renraw recognizes the pseudodragon for what it is as it flies at him, although his masters back at St. Feldin's never described them as being quite so dark-scaled or looking quite so vicious.

A cry rips through the air and a celestial hawk flies at the pseudodragon even as a blur of color explodes from Katadid's hand. With a snarl, the dragon resists the effect of the other wizard's spell.

Ragglus' tiny bow fires true, though, and the pseudodragon roars with anger as the tiny arrow embeds itself into the dragon's scaly flank.

"No one strikes Blackspine and lives!"

Its eyes bright with light reflected from an unearthly source, the celestial hawk screeches and attempts to smite the dark-scaled pseudodragon, but misses, buffeted away by the dragon's leathery wing. The bird screams in outrage, whirling for another attack before it vanishes in a moment's time.

"Die, intruder!" Faster than Renraw's wide eyes can follow, the pseudodragon's stinger-tipped tail lashes around, stabbing the wizard in the chest before pulling free once more.

The wizard is about to respond -- probably by begging for his life -- when he finds himself wondering what sort of poison would be in a pseudodragon's stinger. Surely they covered this at St. Feldin's. Why, he can picture the class perfectly ...

The rest of the Gentlemen Delvers see Renraw's face go slack, and he collapses to the ground, asleep.

Blackspine turns towards the others and roars.

"Oh," Katadid backs up quickly behind Ragglus and hopes the hawk can manage to distract the pseudodragon well enough. Ragglus switches to his shield and spear as quickly as he can, anticipating that they'll be next.

Tock begins to sing:

"The one to slay that dragon
Gets a tasty flagon.
Then the loot we'll all be draggin'
and that bailiff I'll be shaggin'.
The mead bought by the rest,
For proof that he's the best.
Distract it if you can,
So I can heal our cannon man.
And if Renraw is dead,
WE WILL PAINT THIS CAVERN RED
With the blood of that foul beast
Watch out, bitch, we're pissed!
"

The hawk darts at the pseudodragon again in the chamber, a giant roc in comparison to its summoner. But the pseudodragon protects itself by beating its wings furiously to keep the talons away, and when Blackspine looks again, the hawk has vanished back to where it came.

The pseudodragon begins an incantation as Tock sings and Ragglus prepares for melee combat.

"A spell? They shouldn't ... they can't," There's a flicker of recognition on Kat's face. And then terror. "SPREAD OUT, NOW! OTHERWISE HE'LL BURN US ALL!

A spindle of energy streaks from Katadid's fingertip, wounding the chanting Blackspine. More importantly, the spell has the desired effect: the dragon's spell is interrupted and wasted. Blackspine roars in frustration.

"AT LEAST 16 FEET APART! DON'T GIVE HIM ANY GROUPS TO TARGET! HIT FROM A DISTANCE!" Katadid yells out the instructions on the run as he moves further away while reaching for a scroll.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Renraw awakens to find Blackspine devouring Katadid feet first. Tock and Ragglus lay dead in burnt, bloody piles.

"Rodger! Hope! Save! Awesome!" Katadid beams, despite the fact that he is now legless.

The room begins to fill with light as Renraw makes complex gestures with his staff, which now appears double its normal size and burns intensely like a miniature sun. The pseudodragon looks up from its snack and squints. Katadid raises an arm to shield his face.

"Bright. Mighty. Unbelievable ... friend."

"Perhaps I was wrong in thinking I could dispatch you so easily," Blackspine admits.

"Perhaps you were, villain!"

As the rejuvenated wizard begins chanting, the pseudodragon bites off Katadid's other leg and brandishes it menacingly like a club. The beast approaches Renraw slowly at first, attempting to size him up, but before it can glean anything useful, it is slammed into the cave wall by a force it cannot begin to comprehend.

"What magics are these?" it demands, pinned.

"Io the Aloof sends his regards," Renraw smiles.

He calmly and neatly props his staff upright against the cavern wall before strolling over to what was once Ragglus and fishing the fighter's sword from the mess, whirling it in a few warm-up swings.
"Now, are you going to drop that leg, or am I going to -- yah!"

Renraw throws up his mighty blade just in time to block a blow from his friend's severed appendage.

"So that's how it is. Have at thee, fiend!" he cries.

Parry and thrust, advance and retreat: It is a fencing match the likes of which Blackberry Ridge has never witnessed. Suddenly, the throngs of villagers surrounding the event roar in delight. Only Katadid seems less than thrilled by what he sees.

"Walking. Problematic."

Renraw and Blackspine's weapons meet loudly at the top of a wide arc, sending the two of them spinning back to back, where their instruments again clash between them. But this time, the wily wizard sees an opening. One devastating swipe sees Blackspine separated from its stinger, and the creature cries in agony.

"Now will you yield, now?" Renraw cries, bloodthirsty. Bits of the psuedodragon's tail flesh dot his face.

Blackspine's outward bravery melts away to reveal what the beast has been feeling all along: abject fear.

"Have mercy on me, invincible warrior! I had no idea with whom I dealt!"

Renraw sneers, slipping his foot underneath the severed tail and flipping it into the air with a deft motion. He drops the sword and catches the tail with both hands, driving it directly into Blackspine's eye, thrusting it into his brain.

"Not even a REAL dragon," Renraw grunts, twisting the stinger and killing Blackspine, to everyone's joy.

Women from the town surround Renraw and try to kiss him, but he swats them away impatiently.

"Not yet, ladies! There's still work to be done!"

With a few graceful arm motions, Tock and Ragglus find themselves restored and standing, shocked to be intact and wearing shining white clothing. They clamp arms around Renraw's shoulders. Tock begins to compose a song. Ragglus throws the wizard into the air and props him up on his shoulder for the crowd to see. Confetti blows through the air. Trumpeters find Tock's key and begin to follow along. The crowd chants "SMEE!" and "LAK!" alternating in unison.

Renraw waves to everyone, arms extended gratefully and face blushing humbly.

"Can I?" Katadid asks, tugging on Ragglus' pant leg.

"Eh? What's this, Chaplin?"

"Wants to tell you something," the resurrected fighter grumbles.

"Oh!" Renraw exclaims, just now looking down at his friend. With a wink, magical sparkles surround the younger man, knitting his legs back on and replacing his clothing as well. "I'm sorry that took so long, Leach."

"Not," Katadid says, grateful, but still shaking his head.

Renraw hops down off Ragglus' shoulder, extending his hand out to Katadid.

"Well, what is it then, my friend?"

"I wish I was as smart as you," Kat whispers in Renraw's ear.

And so, even with the psuedodragon's poison coursing through his veins and a gaping, oozing wound in his chest where it was delivered, the prone and unconscious abjurer smiles.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Both Tock' and Ragglus' arrows find their mark, thudding into the dragon's chest one after another. Blackspine's spell is ruined again and he roars with anger.

Katadid completes his spellcasting and the words vanish from the scroll. He watches the words evaporate and looks up. Kat considers the situation carefully, then rushes up behind Ragglus and slaps him on the back before retreating back again, digging out a sling stone with his other hand.

Ragglus feels his muscles bulge with new power as readies his spear. Before he can attack, though, an arrow streaks from Tock's bow, striking Blackspine once more. A stone from Katadid's sling a moment later does not hit the mark, however, flying off wildly, never to be seen again.

Blackspine charges Ragglus, his stinger pounding heavily into the warrior's shield, but the barb is unable to deliver its poison.

"Die, intruder!"

"C'MON, BITCH!" Ragglus roars in challenge, the renewed strength fueling him like adrenaline. Seeing his chance, he stabs with the magical spear, but it slides along the pseudodragon's scales, never sinking into flesh. "That's all you got?"

"Let's not give her the chance," Kat purses his lips and narrows his eyes. He thrusts out his palm and green mist begins to swirl around it, coalescing into a sizzling orb of liquid. Rearing back, Kat prepares the glob of acid at the dragon.

Ragglus jabs at Blackspine with his spear, drawing blood.

"Argh! Enough!" And with that, Blackspine flaps his wings, lifting up and away from the group, flying toward the chimney in the roof of the cave.

As he flies away, his voice getting fainter and fainter, the Gentlemen Delvers hear him ranting as he flees: "You're no match for what lies beyond! I'll let that idiot kill you!"

Ragglus laughs heartily, banging the spear against his shield a few times.

"Damn me if that weren't exciting!"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Katadid watches Blackspine fly away in confusion, the orb of liquid dripping away unused around his hand. He thinks about what the pseudodragon's words could mean as he stumbles over to Renraw, mumbling the entire time.

He is able to stop Renraw's bleeding and, taking the sleeping wizard's pulse and performing a few other checks, he guesses that Renraw will sleep for four more hours, although they could probably slap him awake in another 30 minutes or so.

He abandons the older wizard and begins a manic search of the cave.

Scratching his whiskers and looking up at Blackspine's now-abandoned perch, Ragglus uses his rope and grappling hook to try and make his way up there.

All Katadid finds are the tracks of rats dragging packages between the two exits. It takes him a little while to realize it, but the northern passage is large enough for a man, albeit a man on all fours, to travel through.

Just like the dragons Ragglus has heard about in Tock's stories, Blackspine apparently liked to lay on his hoard. Since he's about four feet long, his hoard doesn't quite look like the emperor's treasury, but it's still a welcome sight to the cash-strapped warrior: There's a pile of assorted coins, including several pre-Imperial antiques, a gold signet ring, a silver brooch, a pair of metal bracers decorated with a design too faded to discern in the dim light and a potion in a flask.

Tock follows up Ragglus' rope. He sees open air in the chimney above Blackspine's ledge, but no sign of the evil pseudodragon himself. The bard then puts his tiny arms inside the bracers. The bracers shudder a moment, as though rattled by an invisible hand, and then contract to fit Tock's miniature wrists. Beaming at his new acquisition, Tock tries putting the ring on a finger, but the ring remains its own size, meaning that he can get his entire hand inside if he wishes.

Kat looks up toward the ledge where he sees Tock hustling about.

"Tock? W-what's up there?" he calls up. A thought suddenly occurs to him and Katadid begins to make frantic noises: The Gentlemen Delvers have less than 20 minutes before the effects of the potions begin to wear off. "Tock! Too late! Ragglus!"

After his frantic half-formed sentences are deciphered, Ragglus and Tock shove the treasure off the side of the ledge and then descend to the ground once more. The group then heads into the northern passageway, which seems huge to them at their current reduced height, Ragglus carrying a softly snoring Renraw over his shoulder.

The next chamber is huge, at least 30 by 40 feet. The ceiling is perhaps 10 feet high and there don’t appear to be any exits other than the one the Gentlemen Delvers used to enter. To the north is a smooth black altar about 10 feet wide and four feet high. A large book rests on the altar. Flanking the altar is a pair of twisted pewter candelabras adorned with black candle stubs, currently lit. Hanging on the wall behind the altar are five human skeletons, arms manacled over their heads. Each wears a rusty chain shirt and carries a long sword at its side.

"Skeletons," Ragglus mutters like a curse, turning to spit as he recalls their adventure at the Tulgey Barrow, back home.

"BOOK!" Kat squeals.

Tock has to physically restrain Kat from trying to clamber up to the top of the altar.

After Rags dumps Renraw off his shoulder and onto the ground, he walks back to Blackspine's lair to drag the treasure back to this room. The sound of Tock and Katadid attempting to slap Renraw awake punctuates his journey.

"Renraw!" Katadid barks, as he slaps the wizard. "Wake up!"

"I'm awake!"

"He's still sleeping, guys!" Tock grins, slapping him again.

"Really?" Kat blinks, slapping Renraw in turn. "He looks like he's-"

Tock slaps Renraw.

"Starting to-"

Katadid slaps Renraw.

"KEEP GOING, BIRD!"

Tock slaps Renraw.

"Right."

Katadid slaps Renraw.

"Enough, gods damn you all, enough!" Renraw shakes off his cohorts, standing up and backing away from them shakily. "What happened? Where are the ... where are the women?"

"They're probably getting themselves ready for m--for us," Tock corrects himself. "Let's finish this."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The top of the altar is too high for Katadid to see except when distant, so he's unable to search there, but as he circles it, he sees the altar appears to be made of obsidian, and spies, near the rear of the altar, just beneath its upper lip, is what looks like a concealed compartment. It's too high for him to reach at his current height, however.

"Hmm."

The candelabras standing beside the altar are twisted in shape and seem to suggest both birds and something more sinuous, like a dragon, but aren't strictly representational either way. Katadid guesses they might be worth some money, if one could find a way to transport five-foot high candelabras easily.

Finally, referring to the map, he locates a secret panel in the wall concealed to look like flowstone. It presumably leads to the next cave on the map.

"Renraw? Mage hand?"

"I'll decide what spells I cast and when, thank you, Leach," Renraw huffs, casting mage hand. "Now, for a look at that book."

The leather bound book scrapes forward across the altar and then thumps onto the floor near the Gentlemen Delvers, falling open as it does so. The inside pages all appear to be encrypted in the same way as the work order the group found previously. At a glance, the format appears to have both dates and regular text throughout the book.

"Ah," Kat exhales. With a blissful look on his face, he kneels down in the center of the book between the open binding. At normal size, it would only be his eyes, but at this height, his entire body darts across the pages as he attempts to decipher the text. He calls for Ragglus to turn the pages as needed.

It is indeed the same cipher as the work order found earlier and the book appears to be a man's journal. Beyond telling he's someone from Blackberry Ridge, it's not immediately obvious who he might be.

"Should be easy enough," Katadid mutters.

With much turning of pages and Katadid tracking tiny dirty footprints back and forth across the page, he deciphers the journal as the rest of the Gentlemen Delvers listen with bemusement.

The journal belongs to someone calling himself "Card Firmer Then," which the author concedes is a silly pseudonym to use, but at the time he chose it, he was "still newly reborn in your secret embrace, Kran."

The author is outraged that, with the death of the previous bailiff, "that stupid girl" was chosen as the new bailiff by the duke, and not him, "despite all I have done for that wretched fop." Despairing, he had found this cave while wandering the hills north of Blackberry Ridge. Within was the dead body of a hermit, apparently a priest of Kran. Finding the secret door in the rear of his cave, the author found the hidden shrine and the cave system beyond. The voice of Kran herself had spoken to him, and he turned away from the church he had always served, but which had failed him in his desire for more power. Finally, Kran sent Blackspine to him as a servant and familiar.

Reading further, Katadid discovers the author jumps around in time: About a year and a half ago, a dwarf trapper named Tarn Tetherknot arrived outside the palisade walls of Blackberry Ridge, saying he needed to speak to the author and the bailiff. But upon revealing that he had been bitten by a werebadger, the soldiers in town drove him off.

Realizing the werebadger could be an asset, the author set off in pursuit of Tarn, eventually finding him and extending an offer of help, including a promise to cure the dwarf. The offer, of course, was a lie. In the meantime, the author set Tarn to robbing the town, using a simple cave system beneath the town that connected to a hidden shrine the author had previously found.

The author brags about hiring the Azzak twins in secret to expand the cave system and install traps and then betraying them, "for the best secrets are the ones that are kept," and animating their corpses to guard the complex.

The stolen goods are transported through the cave system by rats controlled by Tarn, using the author's magical panpipes. These are periodically packaged together and sold in Goblin Falls and Stonecrown. The monies are to be used to hire the Black Reavers to fall upon the town and kill the new bailiff, Arabelle. Once she's dead, Card Firmer Then will rally the troops and the goblins will turn and flee, having been paid well to do so. He knows the goblins can be trusted, since he had previously hired them to kill the last bailiff with a poisoned arrow as well.

This plot, the author is convinced, will force the duke to raise him up to bailiff this time around.

Katadid looks up to find both Renraw and Tock quietly discussing the flaws in the plan and how they would have done things differently.

"Of course! OF COURSE!" Kat babbles as he paces back and forth. "The silver sling stones were hidden in the water in case he ever needed to get rid of Tetherknot. Just north of town would make a dwarven excavation easy to connect to the well, where the moisture would attract rats. And the person whose journal it is: He said he changed his faith. The high priest, Richter, OF COURSE!

The other Delver's jump back at Kat's outburst.

"An anagram! Card Firmer Then is Manfred Richter!"

He pauses, thinking.

"Hmm. The Maidensbridge Abbey nuns, this man. Lothian has poor judgment."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"That means the cave he originally discovered is beyond that door," Katadid says, looking worried. "But something this damning won't be left unprotected. We should be careful."

"What're we doing?" Ragglus asks, yawning after the longest bedtime story in the world was read to him. "Killing Anagram?"

"Killing?" Kat looks shocked. "We could give the book to the girl, I thought."

During Katadid's recitation, Renraw had dismissed the effects of the shrinking spell and had amused himself by removing the hipbones of the dangling skeletons. That done, he casts an abjuration on the nearby passage to alert the Gentlemen Delvers if anything moves through it.

"I have to do everything around here," he grumbles to himself.

As Renraw finishes his spell, Katadid touches the altar, and the half-skeletons dangling behind him suddenly rattle to life, pulling themselves from their shackles. As they are now without legs, they collapse to the floor, but crawl after the tiny wizard with one hand, while swinging their longswords with the other.

"Ah HA! I've saved us again!" Renraw barks, dancing a gleeful jig. "These legless rotters haven't a chance!"

"AAAAAH!" Kat runs away from the giant legless skeletons, screaming the whole time. He ducks under an enormous rusted sword that practically takes him off his feet from the rushing wind. He concentrates on dispelling the shrinking effect even as he begins muttering the first words of a conjuration incantation.

"Couldn't have taken their arms off too?" Ragglus chides, equipping his shield and flail, crossing to stand near Katadid.

"I didn't see you rushing to help!" Renraw scowls.

Renraw blasts the first skeleton with a dart of force, blasting it to bits. Katadid's splash of acid a moment later has a similar effect, even as the wizard climbs onto the altar in a panic.

Singing, Tock tries to grow, preparing to knock a skeleton's head off with his quarterstaff.

Renraw also decides to whack at them, kissing the magical flame of his staff and readying himself for some good bonks.

Ragglus sees everyone starting to pop back up to regular height, and tries to will himself back to the same. He'll attack anything left to hit with his flail, if any.

From his perch, Katadid fires a ray of frost at one of the half-skeletons, but to no avail: It's like the undead warrior doesn't feel cold at all. Below, Tock swings his quarterstaff at one skeleton, but the skeleton manages to parry away his blows. Beside him, Renraw manages to land a glancing blow. A moment later, Ragglus finishes the job that Renraw started.

Two skeletons continue crawling forward.

"Oh," Katadid says with disappointment, pulling out his sling. His sling stone thunks off the skull of the nearest skeleton with a hollow sound.

Renraw, enraged at Ragglus' glory hounding, tries to box him out of the next one and takes another swing as he does. But despite his confident sneer, he misses with both ends of his quarterstaff. Perhaps because of Renraw's elbow in his ribs, Ragglus misses with his flail.

The skeletons lash out at his legs, but Rags easily sidesteps the swings.

Tock's singing gets a little strained as he concentrates and tries to really whack one good.

Renraw sighs and sidesteps, conceding to Ragglus and bowing reluctantly, eyes rolling wildly.

Katadid hears a snicker from Renraw as his sling stone goes wide.

Tock steadies his staff with both hands and tries again to whack one of the buggers, almost forgetting the chorus. His quarterstaff glances off a crawling skeleton's chainmail. This time, it's Ragglus who snickers.

Renraw finds a remote corner of the cavern and sits himself down to watch.

"Call for me if you need me!" he shouts.

"Our dragon slayer," Ragglus murmurs as he catches a glance of Renraw retreating to the corner of the cavern. With a grunt, Ragglus smashes one of the crawling skeletons before it can hack at him again.

The remaining skeleton ineffectually swipes at him, before being shattered with the backstroke of Ragglus' flail.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
With the skeletons gone, Katadid leans over and flips open the concealed compartment, spotting a leather sack inside. Before he can reach for it, though, Renraw's alarm spell activates, and the sound of a frantically tinkling bell fills the air.

From beyond the crack in the door, the Gentlemen Delvers can hear the muffled sounds of a male person casting a spell.

"Ragglus!" Katadid squeaks, leaping off the altar and digging through his bag of scrolls. He looks up at the doorway, listening intently. "It's a defensive spell, obviously ... Richter!"

Kat quickly finishes reading the scroll and slaps a hand on Ragglus' broad back before taking cover behind the altar.

Ragglus whips open the door, his muscles bulging with magical strength, revealing an elf with twisted features, like someone melted half his face. One bloodshot eye stares from a socket that looks as though someone has peeled away the flesh in strips. Half of the elf's head is hairless, while the other half has black stubble like that of a man's beard.

The elf wears a breastplate bearing the Tarsisian Imperial crest and clutches a curved dagger of obviously ancient make and is covered in a shimmering translucent field.

He barks something in a language none of the Gentlemen Delvers know.

A moment later, Renraw's needle of force screams through the air, piercing the elf in the leg. Tock's arrow whistles by a pointed ear.

"Kran will bathe in your blood for that!"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kat is shocked at the horrific elf's appearance, but his threat quickly shocks the wizard back to reality.

"Kem! Take cover!" Kat admonishes.

The elf begins casting a spell as the Gentlemen Delvers attack, Katadid's sling stone going wide, almost striking Ragglus as he closes the distance between himself and the stranger.

Renraw completes his incantation before turning and running to the far cave tunnel, and another bolt of force streaks from his fingertip, striking the elf. Although his face twists in pain, he does not stop casting his spell.

With a grunt, Ragglus stabs the elf, penetrating the energy field around him and sinking his sword tip into the spellcaster's thigh.

But again, the elf's concentration does not slip, and he completes his spell: A wolf with black fur and burning red eyes appears on the altar of Kran. The otherworldly wolf looks between the two Gentlemen Delvers crouched behind it for a fraction of a second, and then attacks Katadid, its jaws closing on his sleeve, but the wizard just misses having the black teeth close on his flesh.

Singing about "the ugly elf" who can do something impossible "with himself," Tock Chandler stands and lets fly another arrow before turning his attention to the wolf attacking his cousin. The arrow goes wide, and the elf yells something again in the unknown language as he proceeds to back down the corridor, out of sight of any of the Gentlemen Delvers but Ragglus.

Ragglus trails the retreating elf, pressing the attack on what he assumes is an advantage.

Tock takes a step back and fires on the wolf while singing,

"Kill the wolf, it won't take long,
Ragglus will pursue the elf while strong,
I've waited my life for some elf poontang,
And now a male, harrow elf, I find -- dang!
We'll skin him and save the fair bailiff.
(I just thought of a tasty banjo riff!)
Let's do this quick and help the brute.
I hunger for something cute!
"

Renraw appears crestfallen when he believes himself out of options, but when he nervously puts his hands on his hips, he feels something pressed to his stomach, held there by his belt. It's the dagger the group pulled from the spider's trap. He'd insisted it was his, and now he's glad he had: It is to be the instrument of Katadid's rescue. Katadid, perhaps his only friend, despite being lesser in every way when compared to Renraw.

He pulls the weapon from his belt as though it is St. Daris' hammer. His eyes gleam with unhinged intensity. He imagines driving it straight into the wolf's heart and charges.

"NYAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Katadid's sling stone seemingly goes straight up, and drops on the altar with a thunk. But his cousin makes the shot of a lifetime: The arrow pierces an eye of the wolf, burying itself deep inside the creature's brain. The wolf collapses and then, with a quiet sound, it vanishes, leaving a stink of rotten eggs behind as it returns to Hell, leaving Renraw screaming over it, holding his dagger.

"NYAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaarrr?"

Renraw slows his manic charge. Not knowing what to do with this sudden burst of energy, he simply alters course and continues running in the direction Rags and Kat headed, dagger out.

Kat coughs at the stench and turns to his cousin.

"T-thank you," he says, obviously shaken by the close call. He seems about to say something else and then remembers something. He looks around and sees the fighter gone, but hears the shouting from further down the tunnel. "Ragglus!"

Kat darts off into the tunnel, hard on Renraw's heels.

"Ye best not mess with me or mine,
Yon creatures dark and foul!
Your life will be your wretched fine,
No one will hear ye howl.
If Ragglus hasn't killed you yet,
I'll help him draw your blood.
'Cause we're the best you've ever met,
The Delvers are just that damn good.
"

As the elf withdraws, Ragglus takes a swing but misses. The elf is simply running too fast. Cursing, he follows at a distance.

The elf bellows something in the foreign language again, and this time, Ragglus hears a reply, even as he moves into another cave. He sees sunlight coming in from the cave mouth at the far end and then someone moving to stand in the mouth of the tunnel.

As Ragglus clanks after him, the elf yanks a potion from his belt, rips off the seal and gulps it down. He grins nastily as he wipes a wrist across his mouth, his wounds closing almost entirely. He drops the empty container to the floor.

Before the other Delvers can make it into the main cave, an arrow streaks at Ragglus, and then a second a moment later.

The first hits soundly, but the second jabs into Ragglus' neck, and blood gushes down his chest around it. He slumps to the ground and does not move.

Remove ads