Publication?

WerrWaaa

First Post
Have you guys at the Creature Catalog ever thought pf publishing your PDF 'books' as actual books? Many of my local GM's don't like using thing that don't have a front and back cover w/ the d20 symbol stamped on there.

~WerrWaaa

PS. Love the site!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Hadnt really thought about it, but if we did, we couldnt use the d20 logo without altering the monsters.

Monsters from mythology would be fine to use, but ones that TSR/WotC designed and that have no correlation to something in mythology (most of the beholders for example) could not appear (unless we renamed them) for the most part.

Also- even monsters that have a mythological parallel can be "dangerous" to use under the d20 unless their powers are reworked and they are altered from the actual monster.

MythandLore

First Post
Grazzt said:
Also- even monsters that have a mythological parallel can be "dangerous" to use under the d20 unless their powers are reworked and they are altered from the actual monster.
I was wondering about that, what about say a red dragon?
If I make a big dragon that's red and breaths fire and stuff how could there be a problem?
Or an orc? Or an elf?
I still don't understand how all this stuff works. :confused:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
You can make a red dragon, orc, or elf and publish it in a book or module. They are all in the SRD.

Basically- if it isnt in the SRD, you can't use it under the d20/OGL. Anything else, you basically have to invent yourself. Like psionics for example. Before they were included in there, you could not use anything from the PsiHB. You would've had to invent your own system of psionics, psionic power, and psionic feats.

Not trying to shift the focus of the thread, but even I myself am a little unclear on exactly how it all works. A better place to ask is in the d20 Publishers Forum. Some of those guys are great at stuff like this (particularly Clark Peterson...he's a lawyer).

But- if you ever do wanna publish something and it includes something say from a previous edition of D&D (and it is not in the SRD), the best thing to do is to consult a lawyer.

MythandLore

First Post
Grazzt said:
You can make a red dragon, orc, or elf and publish it in a book or module. They are all in the SRD.

Basically- if it isnt in the SRD, you can't use it under the d20/OGL. Anything else, you basically have to invent yourself. Like psionics for example. Before they were included in there, you could not use anything from the PsiHB. You would've had to invent your own system of psionics, psionic power, and psionic feats.

Not trying to shift the focus of the thread, but even I myself am a little unclear on exactly how it all works. A better place to ask is in the d20 Publishers Forum. Some of those guys are great at stuff like this (particularly Clark Peterson...he's a lawyer).

But- if you ever do wanna publish something and it includes something say from a previous edition of D&D (and it is not in the SRD), the best thing to do is to consult a lawyer.
Thanks Scott.

Remove ads