Pulling Off a Dragon Heist in Waterdeep: The Review

Since the majority of official D&D adventures have been set in dungeons (or the equivalent) and wilderness areas, making the latest hardcover adventure, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, a city-based adventure is a breath of fresh air. It's also a great chance to give the Sword Coast's most cosmopolitan city some 5th Edition attention.

WDH-YawninigPortal.JPG

In Waterdeep: Dragon Heist – no spoilers – a half a million gold coins, which are called “dragons” in Waterdeep have been stolen from the city and hidden. It's up to the players to find the stash before the villain can and use it for nefarious means. As with Curse of Strahd, there are options to vary the story, though in WDH the options change the villain, time of year and encounter chains.

Before the players can follow the money, the adventure for first to fifth level characters starts in a traditional place – a tavern. The legendary Yawning Portal is a nice connection between anyone who ran Tales of the Yawning Portal and/or might run the follow-up adventure coming November 2 to WPN stores and November 13 in wide release – Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. The Yawning Portal's claim to fame is the giant well-like opening in the center of the common room that leads down to the first level of Undermountain, the massive complex that lies beneath Waterdeep (the Mad Mage's dungeon).

At the Yawning Portal tavern, the players meet the legendary (as he's quick to tell them) Volothamp Geddarm – “Volo” to his fans. The famed author has a job for the players,which serves as a good introduction to Waterdeep and a chance for them to explore the city and earn a little bit of a reputation. After that task is accomplished, there's a bit of an interlude where the players can gain some downtime while building relationships and contacts within the city. They can also be recruited by various organizations, individually or as a group, which can affect the adventure and their resources.

Then the main plot attracts the players' attention (trust me, they can't miss it), and they learn about the missing money. (I'm avoiding actual spoilers so the article is safe for those unsure as to whether they want to play WDH.) Depending upon the villain selected before the campaign started, the time of year is also set, but the book notes that if, while playing, it makes sense to switch the main villain, the DM should do so while keeping the original time of year.

As a DM who has been running the 5th Edition hardcover adventures since Hoard of the Dragon Queen, I can't wait to finish Tomb of Annihilation and start WDH. I really liked the revised version of Chult (though I have some quibbles), but the ticking clock aspect of it was at odds with the obvious interest in exploring the island. Once we finish the official story, I'll probably use Chult in a future homebrew adventure. But I'm a sucker for city-based campaigns in a fantasy setting and this one is put together much better than Pathfinder's Council of Thieves, in which some chapters – and even maps if you compare the book to the map pack – contradicted it each other.

City-based adventures, especially when the city in question has a vigorous City Watch, can deter murder hobo tendencies in players. WDH has plenty of opportunity for action and combat, but wholesale, casual carnage should be off the menu.

What I especially like about WDH:
  • The pronunciation guide for NPC names (to avoid arguments)
  • Adventure and encounter flow charts (for easy reference and to make it simple for DMs to quickly find the plot thread again if the players go off the rails)
  • Lots of opportunities for role-playing and investigation
  • Factions can really make a difference in this adventure and players can be recruited during the adventure
  • Opportunities for players to put down roots in Waterdeep and have their actions motivated by that
  • The big, full-color, two-sided map of Waterdeep with one side for players and the other for the DM (though I wish the book had a smaller version of the DM map so we can check DM-only material while players are examining their side)
  • Building maps in the book that can be reused
  • The NPC map of the Yawning Portal is charming, especially Matt Mercer's cameo
And, of course, I like the story. Having a choice of four villains not only provides replay-ability (to a degree) but allows the DM to cater to their players' interests or combine it with their own material more.

WDH-interior art.JPG

My only complaint – and it's a very minor one – is that the WDH is less of an Ocean's 11 or The Italian Job heist then an investigation where players are racing against the bad guys. In the heist movies cited while promoting WDH the characters know who has the money. They just need to figure out a scheme to steal it. WDH is more like a Western where someone buried a treasure and then died, forcing characters to find and interpret the location clues before someone else does. It's fun regardless but involves a slightly different sensibility that might be relevant as people make characters.

The book contains some fun Easter eggs. For example, a play mentioned loosely describes Strahd's backstory. Also, Volo mentions his upcoming book a few times – Volo's Guide to Spirits and Specters. Time will tell if that's a future D&D book release. (Please? Pretty please?)

“Volo's Waterdeep Enchirdion” is a chapter after the adventure that provides background on the city, its various wards, law enforcement, holidays, currency, etc. It's a highly useful addition for those unfamiliar with Waterdeep as well as providing DM's easy access to key material. A DM could run the campaign purely with what's in the book or prior source material, such Volo's Guide to Waterdeep or City of Splendors: Waterdeep, can be integrated as long as the major players in the city – like the latest Blackstaff – are updated for the current era.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
is a rollicking adventure that's different than the prior 5th Edition adventures. I really like how the D&D team keeps harkening back to classic locations and/or modules while handling them in new, fresh ways. WDH is a terrific way of updating the City of Splendors.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Last edited:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

jimmytheccomic

First Post
I do worry the ending will be anti-climactic for a lot of tables. I think a common DM hack is going to be "The vault is at the bottom of the Undermountain!", for a cleaner segue/better climax.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I do worry the ending will be anti-climactic for a lot of tables. I think a common DM hack is going to be "The vault is at the bottom of the Undermountain!", for a cleaner segue/better climax.

It does seem like the penultimate chapter should be the PCs losing the race to the treasure and the baddie kind of flaunting their failure in their faces. The final chapter then becomes the heist to actually rescue victory from the jaws of defeat... (also fits a heroic arc nicely).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think all of the 5e adventures have been better than anything they wrote for 3 or 4e. I can't speak to earlier, because I only ran homebrew back then. I've run a few of the classics more recently, and I don't see how they're all that good compared to these recent ones. Sure, they've all got drawbacks, but most of them have had some really good stuff, IMO. So far, I think Dragon Heist is great. Haven't run it all the way through yet, though, obviously. Does that make me "going out of my way to sell WotC's stuff?" I dunno.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This book feels incomplete without Dungeon of the Mad Late, it's other half of the Waterdeep Adventure.

And Chapter 2 needs more none faction quest options. It's either deal with the rival of your Tavern, or just make up missions.
I'm not sure how to handle this chapter if different PCs join different factions, it could divide the party...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I picked this up today at a game store near where I work. Nice place that I never even knew was there until I did a google search. Think I'll be stopping there on lunch once in awhile.

I browsed the book, read complete parts here and there and my initial thought was that Id probably never run this straight through but will probably mine it for ideas and encounters, I may change my mind after reading it through. My main disappointment was that the cartography is very poor in my opinion, both the poster map and the interior maps. Other than that I dont regret the purchase, but unless I overlooked them I was wondering where Elminsters comments in the Volos guide section where.
I am surprised to hear that, I purchased the book in part because of who did the cartography!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thank you for your open-minded review.

Two things never cease to amaze me:
1) the lengths some posters go to sell WotC's stuff for them, no matter the deficiencies or weaknesses
2) the fact WotC never seems able to create a truly great adventure. They most assuredly are the McDonald's of RPG scenarios...

Oh no, watch out, people enjoying things thst you don't and then recommending them! Run for the hills!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am surprised to hear that, I purchased the book in part because of who did the cartography!

I agree. The maps are top-notch. The black-and-white, clear nature of them makes them easy to print out or easy to copy onto a dry-erase mat (whichever you prefer) AND they can be imagined with snow, rain, sun, or whatever they need for the season without the art implying one way or the other. They are overall more useful than a more conventional method. They look more traditional too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I agree. The maps are top-notch. The black-and-white, clear nature of them makes them easy to print out or easy to copy onto a dry-erase mat (whichever you prefer) AND they can be imagined with snow, rain, sun, or whatever they need for the season without the art implying one way or the other. They are overall more useful than a more conventional method. They look more traditional too.

I'm somewhat biased because I know the guy who makes them (Dyson Logos). I highly recommend his blog and his products. He publishes series of maps, each of them with an attached story/background (which you can use or ignore). When I'm making adventures and I need a map for, say, a tower, I just flick through the collection until I find something I like and tada, tower map.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases