Purchasing RPG product, Retail or Online?

Bass Puppet

First Post
Over the last couple of years I have been going to a local Retail Game store here in So Cal. I don't try to associate with some of the people there because I am afraid of the them (they are scary). And some even smell real bad. Anyways, I don't let that interfere with me driving out there and doing my part by supporting them. Here is why I will only purchase ONLINE until I find a better store.

1. I ALWAYS feel like they copy the mannerisms of "The Comic Book Guy" in the Simpsons. "I know everything" and because you don't you, you are wasting my time.

2. Today when I arrived at 10:30 (They open at 10) they were closed and the individual who showed up to open the store 10 minutes after I arrived, seemed bothered by me waiting for him to open the store. I also waited patiently for another 10 minutes before walking in. (He forgot to turn the Open sign around)

3. When I asked for a particular product, most of the time they don't know what I am talking about or they tell me some off the wall. I ONLY PLAY D&D.

I won't name the Store because this is just my experience and again I believe in supporting your local Gaming store. So, if there is any Gaming/Hobbey store in the Long Beach Area that you would personally recommend please let me know, until then, I will be supporting the Wizards through Online services.

I would go to Wizards of the Coast Retail Store before I would go back to that store, at least they are friendly and they smile when they say, "Masters of The Wild?" What game is that for?

Crothian

First Post
I like to look through the product, so i usually only go to the local stores. Most of the time they are knowledgible, or if they don't know they know someone who is. I don't expect everyone who works at a gaming store to be familiar with every d20 book, let alone every gaming book.

The biggest problem is the people who game there. The clerks will talk to these people while ignoring the customers. It's really bad at the biggest gaming store around here. The funny thing is, the small gaming store that has a very small gaming selction (they have a bigger comic and minature section) has the best customer service. He always stop.ps what he's doing to talk to the customers. He knows every product he has, granted it isn't many. I think he will haev a selcetion of 2 dozen titles in all.

Rabelais

First Post
Retail/Online

I'd like to talk about a couple of gaming shops in my area that don't necessarily fit the profile. Online shopping is great, it's cheaper, I know for a fact that you can save several bucks per book buying online. What you really miss out on is connecting with the locals.

I'm not sure what policy is on naming names, but here are two of the shops in my area that I'd gladly give some of my hard-earned legal tender.

I like my local games shop "Rainy-Day Games" Beaverton, Oregon. The owner always comes out from behind the counter to greet customers. He's Johnny on the spot when you have questions. He's got several acolytes running around pricing things and making sure that the pay-for-play computer network is up and running. I train customer service skills for a living, and everytime I've been in there I've been impressed.

I used to go to Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland, but that's a good 20 miles away from me, they're great for customer service too. They're run by an older couple. One side of the shop is modeling and hobbies, very comprehensive if you're into that sort of thing. (personally I'm not, I had a bad experience with super-glue at a young age) The other side is typical gaming stuff. (Too much Warhammer for my taste, but I've always hated that game with a passion bordering on mania) Very friendly.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
I'm lucky enough to have a dandy store nearby. They have dozens of play-tables, every product under the sun (and not just RPG stuff, but minis games and wargames too) and a polite, helpful staff. The owner isn't out to make a profit or even a living at it; he's got other businesses he uses for his income, and runs the shop for the good of the gaming community.

So I only buy online when they don't have it... which is rarely.

Christian

Explorer
Well, (a) I don't really like ordering things online, and (b) the Lone Star Comics chain does a pretty decent job as a gaming store, despite being mostly comics-oriented, and I like supporting the local businesses.

And I really am going to make the drive up to Denton one of these days soon ... I hear there's a pretty decent game store up that way. :D

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
My local game store... Well... They also can quite often have the If They Don't Play it it Must Be Crap. I remember I was buying a few Deadlands products about a year ago and the guy behind the counter acctually said, "You would be better off burning your money than buying that." So most of my buying is done online, unless I have to go there and buy something.

DMaple

First Post
A2Z said:
The closest gaming store for me is across the CAN/US border. :( I do all my shopping online now.

Ain't those parole requirements a pain?

My local shop is through the Mersey tunnel £2.40 round trip not including parking. I tend only to visit it if I'm going into Liverpool anyway.

I've ordered stuff online on a number of occasions but usually only if the local shop can't get it.

Last edited:

Remove ads