Purchasing RPG product, Retail or Online?

Schmoe

Adventurer
I drive about 1/2 hour to a local game store. It used to be one of those comic/game stores that was very poorly run: horrible service, horrible organization, poor selection. It was purchased by one of the employees and a partner, and they've totally turned it around. They put a tremendous amount of work into the store, and it shows. IMHO, they've got one of the best game stores in the Baltimore/Annapolis area, albeit small. It doesn't hurt that I've become good friends with the owners, but I always feel dirty any time I buy gaming material from some other location.

Dollars are votes, use them at your discretion! :)

Mixmaster

Explorer
(for some reason I've never seen gaming books in a B&N store, but they sell them online)

They're there..... under Sci-fi / Fantasy.

I just tried TalonComics for the first time last week, and I've got a decent store in NYC (Compleat Strategist). They're made some changes and stock all 3rd Ed D&D/d20 books. Their customer service I would say is a little "distant."

I've also another place I purchase online, and I'm happy with them also. It takes a while to receive, but their customer service is good.

Ayrk

First Post
Reading all these stories about the Unfriendly Neighborhood Games Store reminds me preceisely why Shannon and I started Back Alley Comics.

I'd drive all over town trying to find a particular game or supplment only to be stymied. I remember when Feng Shui first came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. None of the 4 local stores had a clue what I was talking about. I ended up mail ordering it.

The best part is the largest comic store in town has not 1 but 3 owners (all brothers) who are exactly like the "comic shop guy."

So it was out of this desperation that we opened our own on-line game shop. I imagine there are quite a few shops out there that started for the same reason.

Gotta love the free market.

Erik

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Mixmaster said:
(for some reason I've never seen gaming books in a B&N store, but they sell them online)

They're there..... under Sci-fi / Fantasy.

It's quite possible that some B&N's stock gaming books, but the ones I've been to (in Rochester, New York and San Diego, California) don't carry them in a dedicated section or in the sci-fi/fantasy section (as I'm usually in a B&N to pick up a new fantasy novel or two, I think I'd notice).

Remove ads