• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Purchasing RPG product, Retail or Online?

Schmoe

Adventurer
I drive about 1/2 hour to a local game store. It used to be one of those comic/game stores that was very poorly run: horrible service, horrible organization, poor selection. It was purchased by one of the employees and a partner, and they've totally turned it around. They put a tremendous amount of work into the store, and it shows. IMHO, they've got one of the best game stores in the Baltimore/Annapolis area, albeit small. It doesn't hurt that I've become good friends with the owners, but I always feel dirty any time I buy gaming material from some other location.

Dollars are votes, use them at your discretion! :)

Mixmaster

Explorer
(for some reason I've never seen gaming books in a B&N store, but they sell them online)

They're there..... under Sci-fi / Fantasy.

I just tried TalonComics for the first time last week, and I've got a decent store in NYC (Compleat Strategist). They're made some changes and stock all 3rd Ed D&D/d20 books. Their customer service I would say is a little "distant."

I've also another place I purchase online, and I'm happy with them also. It takes a while to receive, but their customer service is good.

Ayrk

First Post
Reading all these stories about the Unfriendly Neighborhood Games Store reminds me preceisely why Shannon and I started Back Alley Comics.

I'd drive all over town trying to find a particular game or supplment only to be stymied. I remember when Feng Shui first came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. None of the 4 local stores had a clue what I was talking about. I ended up mail ordering it.

The best part is the largest comic store in town has not 1 but 3 owners (all brothers) who are exactly like the "comic shop guy."

So it was out of this desperation that we opened our own on-line game shop. I imagine there are quite a few shops out there that started for the same reason.

Gotta love the free market.

Erik

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Mixmaster said:
(for some reason I've never seen gaming books in a B&N store, but they sell them online)

They're there..... under Sci-fi / Fantasy.

It's quite possible that some B&N's stock gaming books, but the ones I've been to (in Rochester, New York and San Diego, California) don't carry them in a dedicated section or in the sci-fi/fantasy section (as I'm usually in a B&N to pick up a new fantasy novel or two, I think I'd notice).

Remove ads