• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Put a Symbol on a shield?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If you know you're fighting a nymph, you're generally going to go with "Averted Vision", simply because Blinding Beauty and Stunning Glance are generally going to be known issues. It may never trigger.

...Did you just completely miss that I was joking, or are you trying to rule -mechanics-analyze what I said despite knowing it was a joke?

As for the rules...rules be damned. If there was a topless nymph, ignoring that only 3 core classes actually have the class skill to ID her and know "looking = bad" anyway, I wouldn't be roleplaying most of my characters properly if I chose to have them avert their eyes...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Or you could make the whole class of Symbol spells more costly for casters to use...say, a temporary XP, HD or HP drain for each level of Symbols the caster has active, regained when the Symbol is exhausted.

Thus, the tactic remains fully effective, but it would be much harder for anyone to maintain a whole bunch of them.

Ashtagon

Adventurer
Strictly by RAW, it seems you can. 3e allows the spell to be cast on a surface (including a doorway).

I suspect, though, this may be a loophole they forgot to specifically rule out. They did specifically rule out putting it on a weapon and striking with it ("You can’t use a symbol of death offensively"). The fact that it has specific rules for use as a trap also suggests to me it was intended to be used as a trap, not on a mobile device.

Out of curiosity, I decided to check older versions of the spell.

The 2e arcane spell allows it to be cast "on a surface or a portal" (portal in the broader sense which includes mundane doors). The divine version allows it to be cast "on a surface or in the air", making it useful in different ways.

The 1e divine spell "air or any surface". The 1e arcane spell could only be cast on a portal.

The Rules Cyclopedia ("BECMI") says "The rune may be placed on an object (such as a door or wall) or placed in mid-air. The rune cannot move; if placed on a creature or moving object, it will remain at that point when the surface moves (possibly floating in mid-air)."

So, did the RC intentionally narrow the spell, or just clarify an unintended loophole? Was it sloppy writing from 1e that carried through? Was it originally intended to allow it to be cast on a mobile object? Unfortunately, the guy who originally wrote it is no longer with us. Interestingly, older versions allowed the spell to be cast in mid-air, which 3e dropped.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Unless you are using facing rules I think the party will be in for a big problem. :D

Not really - the spells let you attune them to any number of users during casting, it just makes it take longer. Additionally, if you use Permanency on a Symbol of Persuasion, it doesn't normally matter all that much if they're not immune. Assuming the caster isn't evil.

Crothian

First Post
Not really - the spells let you attune them to any number of users during casting, it just makes it take longer. Additionally, if you use Permanency on a Symbol of Persuasion, it doesn't normally matter all that much if they're not immune. Assuming the caster isn't evil.

The group though could acquire cohorts, followers, allies, NPCs, hirelings, etc after the symbol is inscribed. There are many ways for this to go bad for the PCs. :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The group though could acquire cohorts, followers, allies, NPCs, hirelings, etc after the symbol is inscribed. There are many ways for this to go bad for the PCs. :D

This is why you should always have Contingency: Swarm of Kittens. They'll do a great job of triggering those symbols...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads