Pathfinder 1E putting a glaive head on top of a magic staff

orion90000

First Post
my players have a tendency to think watt out side the box. the latest question is " can I put a blade at the top of my staff?

I'm thinking that he could enchant a glaive head and mount it. require him to pick up an exotic weapon proficiency. then I thought I should multiply the cost of enchanting the weapon 1.5x. I kind of feel that part is a bit harsh.

since any enchantment on the glaive head will not improve the hardness or hp of the staff. thoughts?

I guess my first question is: Why does he want to do this? Is it because it will look cool? Or does he want to run around poking things with the glaive blade? Or ... some other reason!?

If it's just because "It will look awesome!" then really, just let him go ahead and do it.

orion90000

First Post
I guess the concept of a polearm/staff of fire is cool to him. I don't have a problem with him doing it. I'm just thinking how to make it work. Treating it as a double weapon makes sense or more appropriately like shield spikes, a separate thing being mounted onto a non-weapon that can be used as a weapon. I guess I answered my own question then.

Well I would let the player enchant the pole end of his glaive into a staff of fire. He has a glaive for combat, requiring appropriate martial weapon proficiency, and if he wants to blast there is magic stored in the haft. It has a very "magic knight" feel to it and, in my mind, sounds and looks cool. I wouldn't adjust the price or anything. And if anything he'll be at a bigger disadvantage should he have his weapon sundered or stolen or lost.

I did something similar in a 3.5 game where I let a warlock her warlock scepter and staff of fire together and there were no balance issues there.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, mechanically there are various things to consider.

First, the quarter staff is a double weapon, though rarely if ever have I seen anyone use it as such. But a glaive is not a double weapon.

But a glaive is a reach weapon. A quarter staff is not a reach weapon.

If you mount a blade on the end of a pole, like a quarter staff, isn't that a spear? Glaives do d10 damage, spears do d8 damage.

So, with all this in mind, I would suggest a short glaive. It does d10 damage, has no reach, and probably can't be used as a double weapon, though having reread your second post, I'm wondering now if this is supposed to be a glaive-staff of fire? I'm tempted to call this shenigans. Does the person putting these two weapons together have Craft Magic Staff AND Craft Arms and Armor?

orion90000

First Post
neither, but he didn't have to. some one else can. from my reading, a staff is 4-7 ft long, as long as a shaft on a glaive. a quarter staff doesn't have tech because of how it's held.

Remove ads