D&D 5E PvP Class Comparisons

5e. The mage rolls to see how many HP of creatures fall asleep (no save).

Putting aside the PvP issue, that doesn't sound remotely balanced to me. It's like Power Word: Sleep.* Now I recall that "wizard hp" stuff people were talking about. (I only played the first packet.)

*There's probably no way to balance Sleep as a 1st-level spell without crippling it like they did in 4e. I know it's tradition, but I'd rather they drop the spell or raise its level significantly.

PvP is likely an unobtainable goal in D&D. MMOs struggle with this, and they can gave different mechanics when powers are used on players versus enemies. In something like Warcraft, there are entirely different builds for PvP and different gear, so a character built for one wil have difficulty in the other.
Unless a game is designed with PvP in mind, the only way it truly works is rewriting every power.

D&D could handle PvP via a rules module, with variant classes and options. That might be the most satisfying option.

Stormonu

Legend
RPGs like the World of Darkness series (Vampire, Werewolf and the like) are more geared towards intra-party conflict than D&D. Even in games such as these, the power levels between different characters of the same experience "level" can be vastly different and varied. I've seen combat monster Werewolves fall with a whimper before a Vampire character kitted out with mental abilities and all sorts of other things.

For all the different playstyles, D&D is still a group game of players vs. whatever the DM throws in the way. It's have to go in a diametrically different direction than the current incarnation, but considering this iteration is trying to get back to "D&D feeling like it used to", I don't expect that PvP is anywhere on in the designers minds.

I'm not trying to say that its not possible to design D&D as a PvP game, but with it's current expectations - four or more players sitting around for 4-6 hours playing - PvP would be difficult to implement, as all it would take is one player killing another in, say, the first fifteen minutes of the game. You could pretty much expect the rest of the night to pretty poorly after that.

Now, if you could set something up like a MtG vs. (or Bang!), I'm sure it could be a blast - but it probably wouldn't look anything like the D&D we know.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing someone set up a Game of Thrones kind of D&D game with all the backdoor dealing and scheming going on. But you'd probably want a character tree or somesuch so someone who gets Ned Starked doesn't sit the rest of the game twiddling their thumbs.

Argyle King

Legend
Does it not at all seem strange though that one PC of level 3 could nearly kill the rest of the party?

Honestly, I'm at a point where I see it as senseless to even engage in D&D discussions anymore because this thread and others have shown that what I want from a rpg is obviously vastly different than what D&D can (or wants) to offer. Even so, I suppose I'm baffled at how -even in a game where PvP is not a focus- one PC so easily being able to kill the rest is somehow not seen as an issue. I'm likewise baffled at how many of the issues raised in other threads are seen as none issues. Do I expect D&D to be a completely different game? Certainly, I do not. There are different rpgs for a reason. I'm just having a really hard time with the idea that 5th Edition seemingly cannot be criticized without the fault somehow being the person; never the game. I'd like to believe it is not strange for me to find a problem with some the things I find problems with. At the end of the day, I'm starting to feel as though D&D is starting to have some similarities with the Call of Duty video game brand, and I don't mean that in a good way. What I mean by that is that the company can shell out just about anything which bears the brand name, and it will likely be purchased; any complaints about quality will be marked as something being wrong with the user.

I'm just one guy, and a guy on a message board at that. Realistically, my choice to play or not play D&D probably won't matter at all. I suppose the weight of the fact that I seem to be so out of touch with the game of D&D and the fanbase of the game has just recently hit me full on today. I'm not in any way saddened by it or upset. I suppose, I just simply don't understand. I don't understand how I can be the only person who feels the way I do or finds an issue with parts of the game. Since I do seem to be so out of touch, I wonder if participating in the playtest ever really mattered at all. Why did I bother to vote in any of the polls?

It seems I likely chose a poor subject for my thread. A PvP situation is what highlighted some of the issues I see with the game, but it goes beyond PvP. From where I'm standing right now, 5th hasn't provided me with a better game than what I have with 3rd or 4th. Sure, there are aspects of the game I like, but it also seems to have somehow captured the problems that I had with both of the previous editions without really being either. Maybe the full version of the game will be different, but somehow I don't see that it will be. I don't see that it will be because, as I said, I'm just one guy in the crowd. The rest of the crowd seems to want to keep going in the direction the game is going in. That's fine. I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying what they do. Many people likely find it strange that I enjoy some of the games I enjoy. Though, it still somehow surprises me that my current view of D&D; the things I see as problems... that my view of the game is so seemingly radically different from others. It seems strange that there seems to be this attitude that there cannot possibly be a problem with 5th edition; I'm not convinced that attitude is healthy or has been healthy during the construction of a game which asked for fan feedback. That's just the opinion of this one guy; if other people are enjoy it, and the company makes money it, then I suppose I am the one who is doing it wrong.

Thankfully, I live in an age where I can be 'doing it wrong' with a wide variety of other games. That doesn't mean I won't still follow D&D or pay attention. I expect I'll still end up playing the game at some point since many of my friends are gamers, so having knowledge of the game is helpful. I'll also be curious to see whether the faults I find with the game now are things which don't exist in the final product... or perhaps they will, and I won't be alone in feeling the way I do about some aspects of the game after all.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Does it not at all seem strange though that one PC of level 3 could nearly kill the rest of the party?

No. First level magic-user. Sleep. Entire party kill, like that.

But this is a key spell for why the magic-user in AD&D is important: it spends time being worse than the fighter, but can save the party when necessary.

The dynamics of adventuring games provide different dynamics to PvP games.

Argyle King

Legend
No. First level magic-user. Sleep. Entire party kill, like that.

But this is a key spell for why the magic-user in AD&D is important: it spends time being worse than the fighter, but can save the party when necessary.

The dynamics of adventuring games provide different dynamics to PvP games.

For what it's worth, I want neither an "adventuring game" nor a "PvP" game. I want a rpg.

I used the PvP scenario because, as already said, it highlight a problem I see with the current version of the game. I don't expect disparity to be completely eliminated. I'm just having a really hard time believing that the amount which currently exists should be accepted as normal or as good design for the game. I used the 4E example a few posts ago to try to illustrate what I'm trying to say. I don't feel that the way D&D PCs and the math they are based upon interacts with the game world "physics engine" (for a lack of better words) math in a very consistent way. In the case of 4E, I saw a disparity between how the monsters and the PCs interacted with the world they lived in. I was fine with the different rules for PC and non-PC; it bothered me that neither side of the equation seemed to interact with the game world in anything resembling a consistent manner. Now, in 5th Edition, it seems I still have the same problem, but then I also add to that a second level of disparity between PCs with each other. I see that as making a problem I had with the previous edition worse; not better.

So, apparently, I'm doing it wrong, but I find that strange because a design goal was (I thought) to further support multiple pillars of play. However, if there are more assumptions being made about the activities my PC is doing, then I'm having trouble seeing how giving me a more narrow definition of what is correct play supports the goal of more pillars being supported. I'd prefer to see the game give me a wider variety of actions and character choices which are viewed as valid; not make design choices and create disparity, but then say those choices and disparities are intention... that I should be playing a specific way so as to not notice them. So, if there are more things I am supposed to avoid so as to be playing the game right, it seems, logically, that I'm being asked to play the game more narrowly; not being given more freedom to explore other 'pillars of play.'

Am I somehow completely misinterpreting every buzzword used to promote the game? It seems that I am. So, with that in mind, I feel like I've spent several months playtesting and exploring the 5E rule set only to come to the conclusion that I have very little idea about what kind of game WoTC is publishing. Whatever it is, as of the time I type this, it seems that I'm apparently not the target audience.

I want "bounded accuracy" to actually mean flatter math. I very much liked that 4E flattened out the power curve between levels in comparison to 3rd. I had expected 5th to flatten it out more. I learned a while back that that desire is not at all what "bounded accuracy" is meant to mean. My question now when consider it is whether the people designing the game know what they mean by it because sometimes I'm not entirely sure.

I want different pillars of play to be further supported. That doesn't just mean tacking on an overland travel mini-game. While I applauded the idea of skill challenges in theory, their implementation with the rest of the previous edition never really felt smooth to me. I could always still see the cracks between what I can only call 'combat mode' and 'skill challenge mode.' The transition from one to the other never really felt as smooth as it should have. There have been some really good DMs I've played with who found ways to integrate the different parts of the game together, but, by default, some of 4E's parts just never quite seemed like they were part of the same game. I don't want 5th to feel like that. Instead of tacking things on, it would be nice if the base; the core foundation of the rules, was able to support those other pillars.

So, how do either of those things relate to my OP? I believe that actually having a more flat math basis, and also trying to create a rules set which doesn't specifically call out such a specific manner of play and problem resolution would be one in which different classes could be built differently, but still not seem so far apart when a group decided to play the game a little differently. Especially when that decision to play differently than the status quo is prompted by the adventure design of the same company which is designing the game.

So, I'm supposed to play the part of my character, but not making decisions I feel the character would make if it goes against the officially sanctioned way of playing the game, but then I'm going to be given adventures which are designed to put me in situations where it's completely reasonable that I would make decisions that would go against the assumed way of playing the game?

I see a problem there. I'd vastly prefer to play a game in which -most of the time- I can choose what I think my character should do rather than be pushed into choosing what the game thinks I should do. I understand making sacrifices so as to play a group game; I'm not the only person at the table. What I don't understand are the mixed messages I feel I'm getting from the game about what style of game it wants to be and how I'm supposed to interact with it. The language being used to describe the game doesn't seem to mean what I'd take most of the words to mean, and I perceive a conflict between what the mechanics of the game say I should be doing and what the fluff & adventure design thus far seems to encourage.

edit: I find a problem with sleep and D&D style magic too, but, if some of the other threads are any indication, any mention of increasing casting time or adding some other draw back to such spells is against the spirit of D&D. I've been told that casters being able to turn everyone else into dust is how you know the game is working properly.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
Basically, this is how the final encounter went...

The party got to the encounter with the Ice Witch. One of the barbarians in the party felt that some of the people from the towns should be made to suffer and didn't particularly feel the Witch's plan should be stopped. He cut a deal to join her side.

I don't know exact numbers of his character, but I can say he was a mix of Barbarian and Fighter, and focused on two-weapon fighting. His style was basically to throw out as many attacks as he could and then add the rage bonus to all of them.

On the 'good' side; trying to stop the Witch, was my character (halfing rogue/monk mentioned in other threads,) a barbarian, a wizard, a fighter, and a cleric. The wizard -not surprisingly- went down very quickly. What was more surprising was that the regular barbarian also went down rather easily when engaged in a toe-to-toe fight with the traitor. While the regular barbarian was dealing far more damage when he hit, he was getting less attacks. The traitor, between having advantage via rage and a multitude of attacks from TWF had multiple rolls with which to fish for criticals; he also easily made up for his single attacks doing less damage by being able to stack his rage damage bonus on all of the attacks. After dropping both the wizard and the barbarian, the traitor then moved onto my character. The only thing which saved me was that I had a much higher AC (17) than some of the other party members in spite of the fact that I was not wearing armor due to having a high dex and a respectable wis. Really though, even with that, it was just poor rolling on the part of the traitor. I could, to some extend, match the amount of attacks he was putting out, but his damage was higher, and he was still raging and such got advantage on his attacks. In the end, I won out, but just barely, and I contribute it more to his poor rolling toward the end of the session more than anything else.

Had his rolling been marginally better, he would have very likely dropped my character. Then, at that was left was a cleric who was ill suited for melee, and the fighter who had already been badly wounded earlier in the fight. One PC would have very likely killed the rest of the party. While I understand that PvP is not a design consideration for D&D, something about that scenario still seems wrong to me. A lot of things about that scenario still seem wrong to me, and I don't believe it all boils down to "well, that guy wasn't playing D&D right."
A couple things are at play here.
First, this wasn't the first fight and some party members were injured. Which makes a pretty huge difference.
Second, TWF is currently a really good option. It has high damage output and allows more attacks and allows more crits and boosts your AC & initiative. It's a strong power right now.
Third, the barbarian makes for a really good level dip. A fighter McBarbarian or rogue McBarbarian can be very effective.
The latter two are issues that will hopefully be fixed by some revisions to the playtest.

But, really, this kind of slaughter could happen in any game regardless, tabletop or digital. A good player who knows the system and can design a well made character will be able to slaughter a less skilled player. System mastery is very hard to beat.

Even so, I suppose I'm baffled at how -even in a game where PvP is not a focus- one PC so easily being able to kill the rest is somehow not seen as an issue. I'm likewise baffled at how many of the issues raised in other threads are seen as none issues. Do I expect D&D to be a completely different game? Certainly, I do not. There are different rpgs for a reason. I'm just having a really hard time with the idea that 5th Edition seemingly cannot be criticized without the fault somehow being the person; never the game. I'd like to believe it is not strange for me to find a problem with some the things I find problems with.
I can't think of many RPGs that would handle PvP any better.
I can think of many that would be worse, where there is an even greater disparity between combat abilities and characters can die even faster. Or games where there's even greater imbalance and a munchkin can build a character that could kill everyone else in the party... all at once.

At the end of the day, I'm starting to feel as though D&D is starting to have some similarities with the Call of Duty video game brand, and I don't mean that in a good way. What I mean by that is that the company can shell out just about anything which bears the brand name, and it will likely be purchased; any complaints about quality will be marked as something being wrong with the user.
I'd disagree pretty strongly with that. Right now, WotC has a hard time convincing anyone that they're doing good things. People don't have a lot of faith with the company.

For what it's worth, I want neither an "adventuring game" nor a "PvP" game. I want a rpg.

I used the PvP scenario because, as already said, it highlight a problem I see with the current version of the game. I don't expect disparity to be completely eliminated. I'm just having a really hard time believing that the amount which currently exists should be accepted as normal or as good design for the game. I used the 4E example a few posts ago to try to illustrate what I'm trying to say. I don't feel that the way D&D PCs and the math they are based upon interacts with the game world "physics engine" (for a lack of better words) math in a very consistent way. In the case of 4E, I saw a disparity between how the monsters and the PCs interacted with the world they lived in. I was fine with the different rules for PC and non-PC; it bothered me that neither side of the equation seemed to interact with the game world in anything resembling a consistent manner. Now, in 5th Edition, it seems I still have the same problem, but then I also add to that a second level of disparity between PCs with each other. I see that as making a problem I had with the previous edition worse; not better.
I think you're referring to a lack of simulation in the rules. That's certainly an issue some people have. Problems with verisimilitude and the like.

So, apparently, I'm doing it wrong, but I find that strange because a design goal was (I thought) to further support multiple pillars of play. However, if there are more assumptions being made about the activities my PC is doing, then I'm having trouble seeing how giving me a more narrow definition of what is correct play supports the goal of more pillars being supported. I'd prefer to see the game give me a wider variety of actions and character choices which are viewed as valid; not make design choices and create disparity, but then say those choices and disparities are intention... that I should be playing a specific way so as to not notice them. So, if there are more things I am supposed to avoid so as to be playing the game right, it seems, logically, that I'm being asked to play the game more narrowly; not being given more freedom to explore other 'pillars of play.'
That's a little unfair as the game has not been released and is pretty unfinished. We've seen practically no modularity at this point and have few solid ideas what they have planned.
Right now we're seeing the very basics of the game. Which is built around some vary basic assumptions, because they have to base the numbers on something. We'll be able to change the baseline eventually, be able to see the different play styles a little more clearly. But right now that's still in the future.
It's like faulting a game in a beta playtest for not including content that was planned for the first expansion.

Am I somehow completely misinterpreting every buzzword used to promote the game? It seems that I am. So, with that in mind, I feel like I've spent several months playtesting and exploring the 5E rule set only to come to the conclusion that I have very little idea about what kind of game WoTC is publishing. Whatever it is, as of the time I type this, it seems that I'm apparently not the target audience.
Maybe. It's very easy to read what you want to read and not what's been said. I've done it a few times myself and there's been numerous other noteworthy misinterpretations of what has been said.

I want "bounded accuracy" to actually mean flatter math. I very much liked that 4E flattened out the power curve between levels in comparison to 3rd. I had expected 5th to flatten it out more. I learned a while back that that desire is not at all what "bounded accuracy" is meant to mean. My question now when consider it is whether the people designing the game know what they mean by it because sometimes I'm not entirely sure.
You're not wrong, the math is much flatter. A level 20 character has a +11 to attacks opposed to the +20 of a similarly levelled character in 4e, or the +30 of a 3e character. A character's change in accuracy is a whopping +4 to +11, which isn't much. Damage goes up, but then so do hit points. But most of the other numbers don't change much at all.
But it isn't E6 where characters advance for a very brief time and then don't change at all. But E6 was a set of house rules and it should be pretty easy to do something similar for 5e (if they don't release an official version).

I want different pillars of play to be further supported. That doesn't just mean tacking on an overland travel mini-game. While I applauded the idea of skill challenges in theory, their implementation with the rest of the previous edition never really felt smooth to me. I could always still see the cracks between what I can only call 'combat mode' and 'skill challenge mode.' The transition from one to the other never really felt as smooth as it should have. There have been some really good DMs I've played with who found ways to integrate the different parts of the game together, but, by default, some of 4E's parts just never quite seemed like they were part of the same game. I don't want 5th to feel like that. Instead of tacking things on, it would be nice if the base; the core foundation of the rules, was able to support those other pillars.
Agreed.
I do hope we just haven't see more of that because they decided it didn't really need to be publicly playtested. But it does feel that a lot of elements of the game are missing and being ignored to focus on continually revising the classes.

So, how do either of those things relate to my OP? I believe that actually having a more flat math basis, and also trying to create a rules set which doesn't specifically call out such a specific manner of play and problem resolution would be one in which different classes could be built differently, but still not seem so far apart when a group decided to play the game a little differently. Especially when that decision to play differently than the status quo is prompted by the adventure design of the same company which is designing the game.

So, I'm supposed to play the part of my character, but not making decisions I feel the character would make if it goes against the officially sanctioned way of playing the game, but then I'm going to be given adventures which are designed to put me in situations where it's completely reasonable that I would make decisions that would go against the assumed way of playing the game?

I see a problem there. I'd vastly prefer to play a game in which -most of the time- I can choose what I think my character should do rather than be pushed into choosing what the game thinks I should do. I understand making sacrifices so as to play a group game; I'm not the only person at the table. What I don't understand are the mixed messages I feel I'm getting from the game about what style of game it wants to be and how I'm supposed to interact with it. The language being used to describe the game doesn't seem to mean what I'd take most of the words to mean, and I perceive a conflict between what the mechanics of the game say I should be doing and what the fluff & adventure design thus far seems to encourage.
WotC is still finding their footing when it comes to adventures. They haven't really made adventures a focus for... well, ever really. They've always been an afterthought. They've released a few okay adventures and a couple really good ones (Red Hand of Doom and Madness at Gadmore Abby) but most adventures seem to have existed because they felt obligated to release adventures and not because they had a story they were burning to tell. They've hired a bunch of staff that is really good at making assorted types of games, people who know how to design and build card and board and role-playing games. Which are not necessarily the same type of people who are going to write a cracking good adventure.

Argyle King

Legend
A couple things are at play here.
First, this wasn't the first fight and some party members were injured. Which makes a pretty huge difference.
Second, TWF is currently a really good option. It has high damage output and allows more attacks and allows more crits and boosts your AC & initiative. It's a strong power right now.
Third, the barbarian makes for a really good level dip. A fighter McBarbarian or rogue McBarbarian can be very effective.
The latter two are issues that will hopefully be fixed by some revisions to the playtest.

When I've mentioned it as a problem in previous threads (both here and on the WoTC forum,) I've basically met the same response I've gotten here.... that I must be doing something wrong.

But, really, this kind of slaughter could happen in any game regardless, tabletop or digital. A good player who knows the system and can design a well made character will be able to slaughter a less skilled player. System mastery is very hard to beat.

I can't think of many RPGs that would handle PvP any better.
I can think of many that would be worse, where there is an even greater disparity between combat abilities and characters can die even faster. Or games where there's even greater imbalance and a munchkin can build a character that could kill everyone else in the party... all at once.

Sure, it might happen in many games, but I do not feel it should.

It might even be that the scenario would be worse in some games, but that's likely a reason why I don't play (or spend money on) those games either.

As for thinking of rpgs that would handle it better, two that I regularly play come to mind. Those would be GURPS 4th Edition and Edge of The Empire. Of those two, one doesn't even have classes. I'd also venture to say that both games do a better job at handling (and supporting) "multiple pillars of play." Both take very different approaches to doing so, and both are also on very different ends of the spectrum when it comes to things like simulation versus abstraction and grit versus narrative play. Note, I'm not suggest either of those two games are perfect; both have some things about them which can bother me too. I am only suggesting that I feel they can easily flex between the typical team of PCs playing together and PvP occurrences without either falling apart in the same way D&D tends to. If two games which are so differently designed can manage to do it, I'm inclined to believe there are multiple ways of pulling it off, and I'm likewise inclined to believe that having the budget and manpower of WoTC (as opposed to what those companies are often working with) would allow for it to be possible. I should clarify that I'm not expecting D&D to be like either of those games, but it would be nice if D&D managed to become a more consistent and (what I feel would be) more coherent set of rules without huge gaps between some of the pieces being caused just because someone makes a character decision.

While I've (not yet) played the newer Game of Thrones rpg, I'm told it also handles interparty conflict pretty well.

I'd disagree pretty strongly with that. Right now, WotC has a hard time convincing anyone that they're doing good things. People don't have a lot of faith with the company.

I think you're referring to a lack of simulation in the rules. That's certainly an issue some people have. Problems with verisimilitude and the like.

That's a little unfair as the game has not been released and is pretty unfinished. We've seen practically no modularity at this point and have few solid ideas what they have planned.
Right now we're seeing the very basics of the game. Which is built around some vary basic assumptions, because they have to base the numbers on something. We'll be able to change the baseline eventually, be able to see the different play styles a little more clearly. But right now that's still in the future.
It's like faulting a game in a beta playtest for not including content that was planned for the first expansion.

Three things in this quote, so three responses...

1) I see a lot of people say they don't have faith, but then the same people claim they will likely buy the books as soon as they come out.

2) To some extent yes, but it's more than simulation. Simulation implies that I expect the game to be more like the real world or at least seem plausible. It's very true that I do prefer more sim. However, it goes beyond that. What bothers me is that the D&D rules don't even really make sense in the context of D&D's own story. Is there a word for that? Simulation doesn't seem to be it; I don't think verisimilitude is either.

3) The basics of the game are what I have a problem with. Yes, it's an unfinished version of the game, but I assume that the design ideals haven't changed so drastically from now to what will be released later this year that I'll be playing a completely different game. If my problems with the game are with the core of the game, I remain doubtful that adding more modules and options on top of the core are going to help; at the heart of the game is still going to be the same fundamentals that I am currently finding fault with. If the current version of the game isn't meant to give any indication of what the finished version will look like, then I question the point of the playtest.

WotC is still finding their footing when it comes to adventures. They haven't really made adventures a focus for... well, ever really. They've always been an afterthought. They've released a few okay adventures and a couple really good ones (Red Hand of Doom and Madness at Gadmore Abby) but most adventures seem to have existed because they felt obligated to release adventures and not because they had a story they were burning to tell. They've hired a bunch of staff that is really good at making assorted types of games, people who know how to design and build card and board and role-playing games. Which are not necessarily the same type of people who are going to write a cracking good adventure.

Which is making it hard for me to figure out what kind of game they want their product to be. The only exposure I have to 5th edition right now is via the adventures WoTC has written. It's hard to pick up on what kind of game I'm supposed to be playing or how I'm supposed to use the product if I'm not being given a coherent message from the people designing the game. I try to take into consideration that it's a playtest, and they very well might not know some of the particulars, but, even with that consideration, there still seems to be a problem with the game giving me conflicting messages.

Aenghus

Explorer
Is the issue any PvP or incidental PvP?

Very few RPGs, if any, can cope with accidental or incidental PvP, which is harder to cope with than pre--declared PvP. I feel it needs to be known beforehand to all players if PvP is acceptable or expected, and what the limits are. It makes a great difference to what classes are viable and the desirability or otherwise of various build options, and it can be very constraining, as a lot of options valid in a normal game aren't as viable.

I don't understand the allusion to GURPS as better supporting accidental PvP. Gurps PCs can have no combat skills above default, and first strike is very powerful in Gurps. A Spec Ops gurps PC could easily take out a bunch of equal pointed non-combatant PCs with very little risk.

I find the potential of PvP far more effective than the actuality. Tension between PCs can work very well, the actuality of PvP combat not so much, the latter tending to resentment and a series of retaliatory PC murders, especially amongst younger players.

When I've mentioned it as a problem in previous threads (both here and on the WoTC forum,) I've basically met the same response I've gotten here.... that I must be doing something wrong.
I don't know if I'd use the word "wrong" but PvP is certainly not something they had in mind when designing the game, as their first priority was (and should have been) making a team based game. It's not wrong but playing the game not how it was intended, so there are going to be complications. It's like playing D&D as a stealth based intrigue game or running an evil campaign. You can do both but it gets tricky.

Sure, it might happen in many games, but I do not feel it should.

It might even be that the scenario would be worse in some games, but that's likely a reason why I don't play (or spend money on) those games either.

As for thinking of rpgs that would handle it better, two that I regularly play come to mind. Those would be GURPS 4th Edition and Edge of The Empire. Of those two, one doesn't even have classes. I'd also venture to say that both games do a better job at handling (and supporting) "multiple pillars of play." Both take very different approaches to doing so, and both are also on very different ends of the spectrum when it comes to things like simulation versus abstraction and grit versus narrative play. Note, I'm not suggest either of those two games are perfect; both have some things about them which can bother me too. I am only suggesting that I feel they can easily flex between the typical team of PCs playing together and PvP occurrences without either falling apart in the same way D&D tends to. If two games which are so differently designed can manage to do it, I'm inclined to believe there are multiple ways of pulling it off, and I'm likewise inclined to believe that having the budget and manpower of WoTC (as opposed to what those companies are often working with) would allow for it to be possible. I should clarify that I'm not expecting D&D to be like either of those games, but it would be nice if D&D managed to become a more consistent and (what I feel would be) more coherent set of rules without huge gaps between some of the pieces being caused just because someone makes a character decision.

While I've (not yet) played the newer Game of Thrones rpg, I'm told it also handles interparty conflict pretty well.
(FYI, WotC used "pillars of play" to describe combat, role-playing, and exploration. Those are the three pillars. They do want to eventually support other styles of play and types of game, but it's uncertain how different those will be from the base.)

I can't think of many games, tabletop or otherwise, where a knowledgeable player won't destroy an inexperienced player (excluding luck). A skilled chess player can win multiple games at the same time. A good poker player can clear out an entire table. And, yes, a skilled RPG player can slaughter everyone else in the party.

There'd be two ways of designing a game to avoid that.
The first would be a game with high hitpoints where players are very hard to kill, so it's hard for one person to drop two others because it takes too many rounds. 4e might be like this; even an optimized player might be challenged to kill an entire party before they could drop him. But I don't think PvP is any better there, it's just bad in a different way. And in one-on-one fights it'd still be rocket tag where the person to score a good hit wins, usually the first to act.
The second would be a game with much more fragile players that are easy to hit, so an entire party can drop a rogue player.

In both cases customization would have to be limited or have very little impact, or a skilled player will game the system to make an unkillable machine.

Really, D&D would work best as team based PvP. Two groups of 3-5 fighting each other.

Remove ads