TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, I remember you saying that while you greatly enjoyed playing Metamorphosis Alpha, you felt that Gamma World was somehow lacking. I played 1st edition Gamma World quite a bit back in the early 1980s, but I never played Metamorphosis Alpha (though I own it and have perused it). After comparing the two games, it seems that they are virtually the same except that MA is set in a starship and GW is set on planet Earth.

What is it about Gamma World that you find lacking as compared to Metamorphosis Alpha?
Actually, the rules are different, but so are the latest rules for the MA game.

The "soul" of MA did not translate into the GW game, and the settings are quite different, so that affects overall play.

I must add that I contributed to the GW game, all of the riding beasts therein being of my invention, as is one of the tables of random finds.

About the best I can suggest is for you to actually play MA with an experienced GM...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Dave Sutherland has gone home . . .
Amen, Brother.

The gathering was quite large, saw a number of people U hadn't talked to in years, and it is likely that a perpetual scholarship fund for an art student will come out of it. Dave would be very pleased :)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Aelryinth said:
Mr Gygax, a little history help if you will...

The rakshasa in the original Monster Manual can be killed instantly by a shot from a blessed crossbow bolt. Assuming this is based on historical Indian mythology, where did you find this weakness? It seems the original Ramayana story line has Rama using an arrow or spear to kill Ravenna, and I know someone who is interested in hearing where you got this particular weakness with crossbows from.

Thank you!

==+Aelryinth
Heh...

That was covered earlier, here I think, although it might have been on another board. No Matter.

I was a fan of Kolchack, the Night Stalker, when it first aired, and sure enough they had a rakshasa as a monstrous evil on that show. I liked the idea of the demon being destroyed by a blessed wooden crossbow bolt, that being akin to the stake through a vampire's heart, so I went with that in the MM.

Nowadays I'd be less prone to allowing so easy an answer to the threat of a rakshasa, although not many adventuring parties are equipped with a crossbow and blessed bolts.

Cheers,
Gary

scadgrad

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

That was covered earlier, here I think, although it might have been on another board. No Matter.

I was a fan of Kolchack, the Night Stalker, when it first aired, and sure enough they had a rakshasa as a monstrous evil on that show. I liked the idea of the demon being destroyed by a blessed wooden crossbow bolt, that being akin to the stake through a vampire's heart, so I went with that in the MM.

Nowadays I'd be less prone to allowing so easy an answer to the threat of a rakshasa, although not many adventuring parties are equipped with a crossbow and blessed bolts.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,

Wow, yet another Night Stalker fan. Man I remember that being one of the only shows that actually frightned me as a kid. I thought the Rakshasa and the Doppleganger episodes were both truly frightening. Of course, were I to see them today, I'd probably not think so much of them; the lens of nostlagia and all that.

Care to comment on how Castle Zagyg is progressing at this point?

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
This isn't so much a question or a game-related comment as much as it is an opportunity to say thank you, Gary. I picked D&D up when I was younger, and it opened up a lot of doors for me, particularly with reading and history. I'm now studying English Pedagogy at the Masters level, and I suspect that if it weren't for D&D, I might not have gotten interested in reading and writing at all. I still play whenever possible, and it has probably been one of the more defining aspects of my life for the past 18 years. So thank you, for that and for things like this thread; it's an unusual and welcome gesture from an industry personality of any sort, let alone the progenitor of an entire genre!

So...er...how 'bout 'dem Packers? :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
scadgrad said:
Gary,

Wow, yet another Night Stalker fan. Man I remember that being one of the only shows that actually frightned me as a kid. I thought the Rakshasa and the Doppleganger episodes were both truly frightening. Of course, were I to see them today, I'd probably not think so much of them; the lens of nostlagia and all that.

Care to comment on how Castle Zagyg is progressing at this point?
As a lad I was terrified by the events depicted in She, the Return of Frankenstein, and the old Ghost of Dracula films--that I snuck away to see. When I walked home on a winter's night after seeing The Thing, I was keeping well away from the darkly shadowed bushes along my route :heh:

As for the CZ project, the Yggsburgh maps are all done, and the Trolls plan to have it for a GenCon release. I have not been sufficiently well to work the long hours necessary to do the castle and dungeon levels, though. that project will demand long daily hours of intense concentration that I am not yet up to managing.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SpiderMonkey said:
This isn't so much a question or a game-related comment as much as it is an opportunity to say thank you, Gary. I picked D&D up when I was younger, and it opened up a lot of doors for me, particularly with reading and history. I'm now studying English Pedagogy at the Masters level, and I suspect that if it weren't for D&D, I might not have gotten interested in reading and writing at all. I still play whenever possible, and it has probably been one of the more defining aspects of my life for the past 18 years. So thank you, for that and for things like this thread; it's an unusual and welcome gesture from an industry personality of any sort, let alone the progenitor of an entire genre!

So...er...how 'bout 'dem Packers? :p
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It is always heartening to learn how my work aided someone in focusing their potential ;)

As someone born in Chicago, I am a Bears fan first and foremost, and I recall their glory days in the 1940. We lived near Wrigley field where they played then... I have a guilty secret, though:uhoh: I have watched and rooted for the Packers since Bart Starr was the QB, and if the Bears can't make the playoffs, than I am 100% behind the Pack. I am wondering who they can get to step into Favre's shoes, although he might have another few good seasons, he is getting old for a football player.

BTW, having been in Bear's regalia at a Bear-Packer game at Lambeau Field, I was impressed with the general goodwill of the Packer fans after their team really spanked the Bears :eek:

Cheerio,
Gary

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
My manner of operating TSR differed radicaly frm that of the Blume brothers who took over management of the company and ran it into the ground. Then Lorraine Williams directed things so that it was, to the best of my knowledge, at least over $30 million in debt when WotC acquired TSR. I do believe that the method of doing business by Wizards is not one that best serves the D&D game audience or the game itself, but time will tell.

Well, I'm no expert on the marketing of RPG by any stretch of the imagination, but from reading the bits on the background of the various D&D settings that was presented in Dragon 315, I got the impression that TSR spent a great deal of time during the 2e era trying to come up with the next Dragonlance. According to the issue, the original Dragonlance modules and novels were unexpectedly a big hit, and it seems that TSR management wanted another big hit along the same lines. So there were a number of different campaign settings released, each with adventures, expansions, novels and so on. Several people who worked for TSR near the end who later went over to WotC have blamed TSR's bankrupcy on the fact that the different settings essentially fragmented the D&D player base by having too many diverse products but not enough players to support them.

I'm sure TSR's attempt to cash in on the collectable card game fad in the mid 90's with not 1 but 2 different games didn't help either. Their 1996 release schedule had something like two dozen or so splatbooks and adventures for core AD&D, maybe a half a dozen campaign settings each with at least 1 or 2 adventures/expansions/novels being published each month, whatever products (and I think there was at least 3 or 4 of them) they were releasing for Spellfire (TSR's big CCG), several expansion sets for Dragon Dice (their collectible dice game), and probably an assortment of other various products. And all this when they were supposedly having difficulty paying their bills on time.

And the silly decision to sue people who were putting up home brewed material on the web for copyright infringement was a rather boneheaded move that alienated a number of players that TSR couldn't affor to lose at the time.

As for WotC, I think a lot of people are suspiscious of them because of all the screw ups TSR made in their last few years. TSR was run by a bunch of suits who didn't know jack about the game industry and didn't really care what the average gamer thought, and a lot of people seem to think the same thing about WotC. There's also gamers who liked some of the settings that TSR cranked out, but that WotC decided to axe in favor of focusing support on the 2 big settings instead: Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, and some of them are still bitter. Another common gripe is that WotC doesn't bother to publish adventures. WotC was moving away from DM-only material there for a while, since such products have less potential buyers, and there's publishing costs for them to consider. However it seems they've changed their mind on that a little bit as I've read here on ENWorld that they're planning to produce some adventures again soon. WotC's revision of the 3e rules 2 years ago also created a great deal of suspicion that they're only interested in profiting off the game. But on the whole, I think they're doing a fair job with the game. I'd say their biggest problem is not doing enough to promote the game to new players.

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
In my considered opinion, spiked armor is the worst sort of dungeonpunk, worse that multi-buckled designer leather costuming passing for armor :lol:

Well, I certainly agree with you there. I've never been a big fan of the spiked armor, heavy tattoos and body piercing, and excessive buckles that marked early 3e art. The mishmash armor that is shown on several characters that looked liked they were equipped with bits and pieces scavanged from a battlefield was also something that I dislike strongly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases