TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mortaneus said:
Two questions:

1. Regarding Necropolis, what is the possibility that we might see a World of Darkness conversion for it? Personally, it seems like it would fit quite well into the setting, especially with White Wolf's current emphasis on the middle east. An ancient evil buried beneath the sands?

2. Have you ever considered writing an autobiography?

1. That's a question to ask Necromancer. I'll venture here, though, that it's a negative, as I suspect they licensed the material from WotC for D20 conversion only.

2. Actually, I have been asked this often, and for years. That has caused me to do some preliminary work in recalling my early childhood in Chicago, and a bit of it later on, from age eight, in Lake Geneva. However, as I have a pretty good memory, and not a lot of spare time to write, the material is fairly detailed but spotty in coverage of the years. That is, mainly outstanding episodes in my childhood memory are covered without comments on much of how I got into playing games at age five, how WWII impacted me, all that sort of thing. So, to sum up, yes, and I have a few dozen pages done, but it's not really an autobiography yet, just a lot of recorded incidents and the like.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Edgar said:
Four questions:

1. To what degree, in your opinion, has D&D returned to its original roots (style and spirit-wise)?

2. What are your feelings on the D&D products that have been produced over the past 15 years or so (esp. Forgotten Realms)?

3. Who are your favorite D&D artists (then and now) and why?

4. How does it feel to be back producing D&D-related material?!! :D

Okay, and here goes:

1. There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.

2. Actually, as I've been pretty busy creating other gaming material during the past 15 years, I haven't the depth of experience to give a reasonable commentary on such products.

3. Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, my favorite artists are Trampier, Elmore, Parkinson, and Easley. Hmmm... I think I am forgetting someone here, but such is life. As for why, well, that's like asking why I like quail with artichoke sauce--a matter of taste:)

4. It is certainly fun to produce material for the D&D gaming audience again. because of course that's where I come from.

Gary

Sir Edgar

First Post
Can you talk more about the style and spirit of D&D and AD&D during the 70's and 80's, especially during conventions and such? What were your favorite moments and what did you enjoy most about the atmosphere then? How was playing and creating for D&D different from how it is now?

Maraxle

First Post
Maraxle said:
Your Lejendary Adventures system sounds interesting. Does it support the Open Gaming License, or something similar, for 3rd party creations? Is there an equivalent of the D20 license available, or in the works?

I apologize if this is considered "common knowledge", as it is not common to me. ;)

Just in case you missed it...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Edgar said:
Can you talk more about the style and spirit of D&D and AD&D during the 70's and 80's, especially during conventions and such? What were your favorite moments and what did you enjoy most about the atmosphere then? How was playing and creating for D&D different from how it is now?

I could spend a good bit of time doing that, speaking to the difference in style and spirit, but that's a pale exercise. The only way one can really grasp the difference is to play each game.

The main differences in the older works I did and 3E are style of writing, reliance on archetypes, limitatations on character advancement, availability of and creation of magic items, and general single-class play for human characters.

Play is mainly reliant on rules. I ignored those I write when DMing if the game called for that, and in all added what was logical in terms of the game environment to play. Thus much of adventuring was not "by the book," but rather seat of the pants play by DM and players alike.

Rules lawyers are unmentionable...

Creating adventures is something that generally relies a lot on the system bases, rules, monsters, eivironments, etc. In regards to the first named, the more rules one must pay close attention to, the more difficult it is to create adventure material.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Maraxle Wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Lejendary Adventures system sounds interesting. Does it support the Open Gaming License, or something similar, for 3rd party creations? Is there an equivalent of the D20 license available, or in the works?

I apologize if this is considered "common knowledge", as it is not common to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case you missed it...

Thanks!

Indeed I somehow missed your post.

The LA game material is not covered under any form of open license. However, with TLG we are working on a permission form and agreement so as to allow the use material found in the "Gygaxain" Fantasy World series of reference books, the CANTING CREW and subsequent volumes. After all, that's why the works were conveived and written in the first place, to assist other authors and designers kn creating material of their own :D

I'll have to query Troll Lord in regard to getting the permission statement done in proper legal fashion..right after I post this, in fact!

Cheers,
Gary

Harlock

First Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Harlock
Are you related to the Gary character from the movie "Weird Science"?

If you could change one thing about your life, would Dave Arneson be dead?

Who is your favorite game designer? Other than yourself, you egomanical old man!

Col_Pladoh said:

First, I suspect thay character was likely based off of someone more like you.

Second, what a rude fellow you are. Of course I wish no ill whatsoever to Dave! As an aside, I don't waste time recriminating, let alone considering the immutable past.

Third, as you don't know me in the least, your characterization is pathetic. More importantly, as you fail to indicate what sort of game, I can not possibly attempt an answer,

Gary

Oh come now, Mr. Gygax. It was all in good fun. I could make some mean spirited retorts but obviously this would start a flame war extraordinaire. If you're touchy, it's understandable. I'm a bit mischievous. And for the record, Gary was actually a funny character and a geek and I proudly wear both of those badges.

If you want serious questions: What kinds of things can we expect from you in the future (RPG wise so there is no confusion)?

Are there any D20 games other than fantasy types that have caught your eye, say superheros, modern/future, wargames?

Are there any up and coming RPG writers that have caught your eye that we should watch out for?

I'll leave it at that for now.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Harlock said:

Oh come now, Mr. Gygax. It was all in good fun. I could make some mean spirited retorts but obviously this would start a flame war extraordinaire. If you're touchy, it's understandable. I'm a bit mischievous. And for the record, Gary was actually a funny character and a geek and I proudly wear both of those badges.

Hey! You poosted the in a manner that called for a reply such as I gave you. so don't admonish me for your initial attidure, eh? :eek:

If you want serious questions: What kinds of things can we expect from you in the future (RPG wise so there is no confusion)?

Are there any D20 games other than fantasy types that have caught your eye, say superheros, modern/future, wargames?

Are there any up and coming RPG writers that have caught your eye that we should watch out for?

I'll leave it at that for now.

Sure, and I am happy to answer your queries, Harlock, and in the same spirit as they are asked. so it's all comradely now ;)

The projects I am considering have ben named in my various responses above. there are certainly two modules coming--CASTLE WOLFMOON and HALL OF MANY PANES. Not mentioned previously are a number of works for the LA game system that will be releasing this year and on through 2003--maybe into 2004--an adventure and sourcebooks for the 20 pantheons of deities in the LEJENDARY EARTH World Setting and details of special areas of that world.

As for D20 RPGs in other genres, I just don't have much time for playing--too much work to get done. Thus I miss a lot of stuff. For example, I really want to try a campaign of DEADLANDS, play some miniatures again, etc. That gives me something to look forward to when I retire--playing games instead of writing game material all the time.

As for new writers, other than those with whom I happen to be working with on some new product, I again must confess a lack of time for perusing much in the way of gtaming material. the research material I need to read, and some fiction for relaxation and inspiration, pretty well fill what spare time I have.

Gary

Harlock

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As for new writers, other than those with whom I happen to be working with on some new product, I again must confess a lack of time for perusing much in the way of gtaming material. the research material I need to read, and some fiction for relaxation and inspiration, pretty well fill what spare time I have.

Gary

If you swing toward evil on the alignment scale you could always become a reviewer when you retire. Sure, I know the obvious objections but hear me out. Reviewers get free RPG books (or since you mentioned fiction you could possibly try that) to read and review. You have name recognition with fans and writers. As a reviewer you don't have deadlines nearly as tedious as a writer. Obviously you cannot review every book some hack sends you and people would respect that. Which leads me to my next couple of questions:

What do you plan to do when you retire?

What do you do now as a break from writing? Of course reading previous responses I am not quite certain a "break from writing" may exist for you.

DDK

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
That said, I am not giving up. I thought perhaps to do something modest based on the old work, and if that proves to be successful, moving ahead on the development of additional material, much as the original dungeons were created.

That would totally ROCK! If only I were worthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases