TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Beckett

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Anyway, right now I am very vexed at them because it is unlikely that they will have my 3-5 player card/boardgame of the 100 Years War, King of England - King of France puiblished for release at GenCon as promised :]

Cheerio,
Gary

Drat. I had hoped I'd be able to see that.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Gary!

I've just had a good weekend - played two new excellent board games: Dirk Henn's Shogun, and Glenn Drover's Age of Empires III. The latter is really interesting - it's actually very much an Eurogame, and an excellent one at that. :)

And I also got to DM my very first session of oD&D! The loss of a couple of players from my regular Friday campaign for the next 12 weeks indicated that I should put it on hold until they returned, so I turned to oD&D to fill the void. Actually running the game showed me that the essential experience of D&D: exploring the depths of the underworld - hasn't changed all that much (well, not the way I run it, I guess), even though the rules are now quite different.

I do have one question: How on earth did 1st level PCs survive? As most beginning characters would die in one hit, I can only assume that they made great use of ranged combat and spells to survive the first level... although superior armour would help. (Poor Sarah began with only 30 gp after rolling a 3 on 3d6 for her starting funds!)

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Particle_Man said:
As a fan of the trolls, I have learned to cultivate the virtue of patience. There will be other Gen Cons.
Tell me about it...

I have had mss. in their hands for years :mad:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day, Gary!

I've just had a good weekend - played two new excellent board games: Dirk Henn's Shogun, and Glenn Drover's Age of Empires III. The latter is really interesting - it's actually very much an Eurogame, and an excellent one at that. :)

And I also got to DM my very first session of oD&D! The loss of a couple of players from my regular Friday campaign for the next 12 weeks indicated that I should put it on hold until they returned, so I turned to oD&D to fill the void. Actually running the game showed me that the essential experience of D&D: exploring the depths of the underworld - hasn't changed all that much (well, not the way I run it, I guess), even though the rules are now quite different.

I do have one question: How on earth did 1st level PCs survive? As most beginning characters would die in one hit, I can only assume that they made great use of ranged combat and spells to survive the first level... although superior armour would help. (Poor Sarah began with only 30 gp after rolling a 3 on 3d6 for her starting funds!)

Cheers!
I have played Shogun, and it was okay...if a bit willy-nilly in tactics and strategy, likely proper considering the setting. Have not seen the Age of Empires III game, although we did play the Civilization card game last week, and it was enjoyable.

In OD&D the 1st level PCs did do several things to help extend their chnaces--hire men-at-arms, use missile weapons (including flaming lamp oil, that is kerosene), and run away when things appeared to be too dangerous to stay and fight.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The Trolls have made some progress and hope to have the game as their major release for the NY Toy Fair...next year :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

KRBourgoine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Piratecat,

Just don't hold your breath. the trolls have way too many projects on their publishing plate to manage the Gord hardbacks in expeditious manner.

Anyway, right now I am very vexed at them because it is unlikely that they will have my 3-5 player card/boardgame of the 100 Years War, King of England - King of France puiblished for release at GenCon as promised :]

Cheerio,
Gary

I, sir, join you in your vexed state. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads