TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:

Of course, OAD&D's XP system promoted the gaining of treasure above all else. :) At least there are plenty of ideas in the 3E DMG for changing the XP system, and more online.

Is that comment due to (a) the rate of advancement in 3E, (b) that XP is given only for overcoming monsters, (c) some other reason, or (d) some combination of (a), (b) and/or (c)?

On a related topic, what are the highest level OAD&D characters you've played or DMed? (That have started at a low level and worked their way upwards, of course!)

How are your sons enjoying being World Famous Game Designers? ;)

Cheers!

Indeed, the wealth was featured--most realistically if one considers human motivations. If you, the real you, were an adventurerer, what would miotivate you more that the lure of riches? Sure, altruistic things, honor, patriotism and the like come into play, but most adventures are based on the lure of treasure. Note also that casting spells earned XPs, as did successful performance of various class abilities not related to fighting. But enough comparative analysis.

I have played a PC of over 20th but less than 30th level. Advancement of that particular character came because of long play and some pretty clever stuff done therein, if I do say so myself. I have DMed for some higher level PCS, and my observation was that the players really didn't have the expertise to have gained such level in my campaigm. the highest level ever gained in my campaign is around 20th, Some players could have gotten above the level their best PC had attained, but they preferred to play several, as I have always done, and keep the levels lower.

AS for Ernie and Luke, there was much grumbling over the amount of owrk needed to create a large module. Bith were quite proud of their final result, and I thought justly so, as THE LOST CITY OF GAXMOOR was a lot of fun to play. Ernie is too involved in his day job now to do more design work, Luke also, but I am encouraging them to complete the adventure with a LOST UNDERCITY module. Maybe Luke will manage it, but not in short order, shall we say...

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
Great thread you have going here Gary! I'm enjoying it tremendously...

I am DMing a new campaign and have some new players, one a fellow by the name of Chris Zephro who played with Luke quite often back since Jr. High School ( in LA ). I was wondering if you might have any stories I might embarrass him with, or if you know of any particular monster phobias of his... :p

Also, as a longtime D&D Fanboy, I have always respected and feared the great Demon DEMOGORGON, and have been dissapointed that he has seen such limited print since 1E ( None of my players have ever lived through an ecounter with him BTW ). Do you rememeber Demogorgon's origin? Did he spring from your twisted, yet brilliant mind? Any details about his creation and/or usage in your gaming would be appreciated!

Thanks and Regards,

Joe Stoken

Heh, Joe, I remember well and fondly Chris and the others that were Luke's buddies, stayed overnight "up on the hill" and played "ninja" and other kids' games there as well as AD&D with me as the DM. A really great group of lads even when they work me up at 3 AM banging on a big gong that was just below my bedroom.

In those days, Chris always wore a blackj T-shirt with some heavy metal rock band featured on it:)

The most notable adventure I can come up with immediately is the one where I had the party in an Oriental-type setting, and as they were involved in play what should happen but Arabian music starts playing from somewhere in the house, and shortly thereafter a real live belly dancer appears. Heh:D It was Luke's birthday, so I hired same for his and his friends' entertainment. All the lads were indeed most fascinated.

BTW, Chris is lately in touch with Luke again after a hiatus of some years. Ken Sato, another of the gang, was also in touch some years back but has not been heard from for some time. Chris and I have exchanged a couple of emails just recently.

As for Demogorgon, I fond the name in mythical demonologies, devided to make him the biggest of the demon baddies, and made up the detailsand the stats. He shouldn't be too difficult to translate into 3E, if you are now playing that...just a lot of detail work.

Cheers,
Gary

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day Gary!

I've just been using your Random Dungeon tables in the 1E DMG to create an "on-the-fly" dungeon for my players, due to a couple of decisions they made that surprised me.

Lots of fun was had by all - I must thank you heartily for those tables, and the additional suggestions for tricks in the DMG appendices! A couple of 'elevator' rooms have confused the mapper mightily, and the final encounter with an intelligent throne with the powers of sex-change, gem-granting and teleportation have led to a cliff-hanger where the mapper has been teleported off onto a solo quest. The other characters haven't yet realised he has the only map... ;)

XP for casting spells in OAD&D? I must have missed that, as I've never seen it used - or perhaps it's one of the many features of your campaign that wasn't in the original rules. :) Not that it matters!

Gaining treasure is muchly on the mind of my players at the moment, as they've finally reached a position where they each want their own stronghold, whether monastary, castle, thieves' guild or similar. And of course, such things are expensive! And I'm making much reference to the few paragraphs in the 1E DMG about terrain clearing, and the 3E Stronghold Builder guide for costs...

One thing that I've been wondering recently is if you read any of the newer fantasy or science-fiction books, or are you too busy with creating or other things?

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottGLXIX said:
Thought I’d join in on the interrogation. I’m curious about this quote from the DMG, “In my own Greyhawk Campaign there have been 9 demigods, 3 demon lords, and a handful of Norse and other gods involved in the course of many years of play. Once or twice there has been divine intervention--and twice the powers of the infernal region have come at the mention of a certain name....”. The 9 demigods would be the famous 9 that Robilar released, one of the demon lords is Frazz-Urb Luu, I know Zeus made a cameo during the same encounter, but he chose to ignore the Unnamed’s plea for help and left him to the demon lord’s tender mercies. Were Lolth or Zuggtmoy included here? I heard a story of a young Robilar being saved by “divine intervention” when he was about to meet his end at the hands of two wights. I’m guessing one of the powers of the infernal regionmay have been Asmodeous when Erac’s Cousin made his pact. Could you provide any more information on who the powers mentioned above may have been? The demon lords and the powers of the infernal region are the ones I’m most curious about.
Ciao,
Scott

Scott, are you sure your laundry list is complete? Bah! (and LOL)

The 9 demigods/gods are indeed those released by robilar.

Frazz-Urb Luu was freed by Erac's Cousin and a paladin, heh-heh-heh. I intend to tell that little tale in a DRAGON zne column. Yes, Zeus made a brief appearance than and left with a shrug, none there honoring him.

Lolth never made any appearances, but Zuggtmoy did. When Robilar freed her (yes, he again loossed another deital figure) she was grateful, took him off to her layer of the Abyss to be one of her favored servants... Robilar, and he was a veteran adventurer at this time, was not a happy camper then.

I don't recall the tale of Robilar's rescue from the wights, but I can relate something more amusing.

In one tournament session at a Autumn Revel, as I recall, a team managed to bring Asmodeus to their location. In desperation, one of their number called for a diety opposed to that devil to come to them. Being a kindly DM, I had ORcus arrive instanter. Oddly, the party were not in the least happy that I allowed such "divine intervention." I suppose it is because the two Evil beings took stock of the situation, saw no reason to fight amongst themselves, and simply divided up the "spoils" between them and left...

As has been noted often, being careful what one wishes for, pleads for in the above case, is a good idea.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hypersmurf said:
Gary,

I've always thought it was fantastic the way you provided some of the "game mechanics" details in the afterword of Saga of Old City. Wish you'd continued the practice with the other novels :)

But there was one in SoOC that didn't make the afterword. Gellor is gifted with a sword that purported to be invisible when wielded. I loved the idea - I don't recall it actually being showcased "in use" in the novel, but the concept was great.

Did you use a similar item in one of your own games? And if so... what sort of game mechanics were involved?

-Hyp.

Thanks Amigo:)

After ARTIFACT, I was precluded from adding AD&D material to the stories, of course.

As for the invisible sword that Gellor had, it was not in play in my campaign--not to say I hadn't maybe placed one somewhere;) Aside from its plusses to hit and damage, the weapon allowed its wielder to see any otherwise invisible foe and to attack first in any normal exchange. Of course there was a command word for it to come to hand--pretty hard to locate your invisible sword without that... If it was within range of the possessor's voice it woulc fly instantly to that own's hand.

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day Gary!

G'Day MAte!

Almost missed yoour post as it came sandwiched between my current string of replies.

I've just been using your Random Dungeon tables in the 1E DMG to create an "on-the-fly" dungeon for my players, due to a couple of decisions they made that surprised me.

Lots of fun was had by all - I must thank you heartily for those tables, and the additional suggestions for tricks in the DMG appendices! A couple of 'elevator' rooms have confused the mapper mightily, and the final encounter with an intelligent throne with the powers of sex-change, gem-granting and teleportation have led to a cliff-hanger where the mapper has been teleported off onto a solo quest. The other characters haven't yet realised he has the only map... ;)

Happy to hear that, and I did indeed use the same for more than a few "scratch" adventures done on the fly. I feeely admit I love to DM dungens where exploration is at least as important as the encounters, solving the problems and defeating the tricks and traps a major feature of the whole.

Rob had some very nasty stuff like that in his dungeons, and I swan I am still at a loss as to one. It seemed every time my PC would pick up a loose gem--usually not more than 1-100 GP value, but sometimes greater, so the lure was irrestible--he'd soon be teleported to some other place, sometimes a most unpleasant one. Never did figure out if it was the gems proper or some other nearby thing that activated the transferrance:(

XP for casting spells in OAD&D? I must have missed that, as I've never seen it used - or perhaps it's one of the many features of your campaign that wasn't in the original rules. :) Not that it matters!

Now I could swear that's in the rules somewhere, maybe UA? Anyway, we always played it as 100 XP per level of the spell cast--usefully in an adventure or to assist someone during or after, so clerics were rewarded as well as m-us.

Gaining treasure is muchly on the mind of my players at the moment, as they've finally reached a position where they each want their own stronghold, whether monastary, castle, thieves' guild or similar. And of course, such things are expensive! And I'm making much reference to the few paragraphs in the 1E DMG about terrain clearing, and the 3E Stronghold Builder guide for costs...

Right! Having a base of operations changes the whole thrust of the campaign. Be prepared for more solo adventures, and ready the forces of hostile NPCs to assail those places :D

The subject wasn't treated in great detail by me bacuuse of lack of hands-on experience of considerable sort. With a mix of groups being DMed for, the state of each was such that most were stil adventuring in dungeons, cities, and the outdoors, Only a few PCs had attained sufficient wealth and level so as to look towards establishing their own strongholds.

One thing that I've been wondering recently is if you read any of the newer fantasy or science-fiction books, or are you too busy with creating or other things?

Cheers!

Not many of the contemporary fantasy authors interest me. Vance still writes, and he is still my favorite. I like the "Diskworld" novels, of course, and believe me, there is something like "Luggage" now in the lists of Extraordinary Items" to be found by Avatars adventuring in the LA game universe:)

I am about half of the way through a Harry Turtledove alternate history novel now, WORLDWAR. I find it a tad choppy so I need to read more slowly than usual, but so far I really enjoy it, so I'll likely be picking up all of his alternate history works.

Cheerio,
Gary

clockworkjoe

First Post
threemore questions: Which monster from d&d beside dragons and the various infernal species are your players scared of the most?

What was doing the cameo on futurama like?

And where did the beholder come from?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
clockworkjoe said:
threemore questions: Which monster from d&d beside dragons and the various infernal species are your players scared of the most?

What was doing the cameo on futurama like?

And where did the beholder come from?

When it comes to the relative degree of fear amongst players caused by monsters, that depends on the expertise of the players, the level of the PCs, and the situation. As I have mentioned, I have made a goodly number of players with low level PCs fear and respect the kobolds in my uppermost dungeon level. Usually, though, the unidentified monster(s), undead when there is no cleric in the group, or NACs are the banes that cause nervous responses.

Fact is, when I was playing a PC a couple of years back we encountered a wind walker, and my 19th level m-u was not prepared for that, couldn't recall the means of dealing with that critter, and I was not exactly comfortable with the situation ;)

In the FUTURAMA show episode I appeared in cartoon illustrated likeness, with my voice. I was part of a team led by Al Gore, and with me were Stephen Hawking and Nichelle Nichols. I can't really describe it adaquately, so you need to see it.

The beholder was the original conception of Terry Kuntz, Rob's brother, a regular in the early days of my campaign. I developed it a bit, but it's essentially his work;)

Cheerio,
Gary

ok

my questions..

how do you remember all this stuff about what you and the other early guys did? I'm lucky if i can remember more than two campaigns ago.

if you got one wish, what would you wish for? :) hehehe.. and how would you WORD it? :D

joe b.

Last edited:

Tarek

Explorer
Lendore Isle

I know Len Lakofka did a lot of work on the Suel and on the Lendore Isle area, but I was thinking maybe you'd know the answer to this question:

The city of glass/Gates of Glass on Lendore Isle were meant to be used in the event of some "ultimate calamity." Do you know what that calamity was supposed to be?

Also, the recent Living Greyhawk Guide had a line about Boccob worrying about the slow decline of magic in the Flannaess and his suspicion that Tharizduun was behind it. Was this "decline of magic" part of your original campaign, or was this a theme introduced by recent writers?

Finally, for this round of questions anyway :), what was the origin of Tharizduun? (apart from the module Forgotten Temple, that is :) )

Tarek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases