• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'Barra: Into the Emerald Forest

Urko

First Post
Calabas answers more questions

Calabas seems surprised when 'He Has No Name' speaks. He regards the warforged thoughtfully for a moment before replying. "It's a good point. As a matter of fact, no formal treaty exists – I’m not sure if the concept would even have meaning to the poison dusks. Their lands are actually about twenty miles away, so we don’t really have a lot of contact, but what little there is has always been friendly. Up to now. When Mr. Novilderth first set up his plantation about ten years ago, he hired a man by the name of Merritt to survey the area and make contact with any tribes who lived there. Merritt was assured by the Three Feathers that the site was safe and that no tribe had a claim there. We have opened up new fields from time to time, but we’ve always surveyed first, for precisely the reason you mention. Besides which, the last new field was started more than a year ago. We don’t see a connection.”

Sanae might be surprised to hear Merritt mentioned in this exchange; he was the guide for her own ill-fated jungle expedition. Any thoughts she may have on the subject are pushed to one side while she questions Calabas further and hears what he has to say. ”As I’ve said, the attacks are a complete mystery to us, which is why we have hired outside consultants. Mr. Novilderth may be able to tell you something I have overlooked, but as far as we can determine our own operations were routine up to that point and there was no provocation for the attacks.”

“One thing we are certain of is the effects. Loss of life has been minimal, but we have suffered two deaths, out of a total of 59 people at the plantation. At least, that was the case five days ago when I set out for here. The situation may have worsened since then. In any event, Mr. Novilderth considers even one death unacceptable, as I’m sure you can understand. There has also been a good deal of damage. Several outbuildings have been burned and a number of crops, mostly food for the plantation workers, have been stolen or destroyed.”

“As for the...House involvement...”
He looks about, somewhat nervously, to see if anyone else in the salon is paying attention to your party. No one appears to be. He continues in a lower voice. ”The mining enclave was set up about three years ago. Originally, they approached Mr. Novilderth for permission to use his docks and build a road to their site. He was furious to have them so close and came to Newthrone in person to ask the King to deny them permission to mine there. But, as you know, what the Houses want, they usually get. They did set up their own dock, about five miles further upstream. Since then relations have been – what is the word diplomats use for nations that aren’t actually hitting one another with swords? – cordial. We stay out of their way, they stay out of ours. But I believe Mr. Novilderth is of the opinion that they wish to force him out and that this represents their first overt attempt to do so.”

Last edited:

Urko

First Post
A question of motive

Calabas does not seem particularly taken aback by Xavier’s directness. ”I should probably mention at this point that Kolbek Novilderth is a dwarf. Have you known many dwarves, Mr. Veris? If so, I imagine this will explain much. Dwarves tend to consider their property an extension of themselves and any attack on it is an attack on them. They are not quick to forget an offense, and are often willing to go to very great lengths indeed to avenge one.”

As far as Xavier can tell, Calabas seems quite sincere. (I went ahead and rolled a Sense Motive check for you)

Urko

First Post
Expanding on motives

Calabas collects his thoughts for a moment before continuing. "I might add that the rate of pay reflects the risk this mission entails. If I have not made it adequately clear, you will be heading into dangerous, largely unmapped territory to confront a known hostile force. Certainly we hope that negotiation will be possilbe, but that is by no means guaranteed. In addition, although Mr. Novilderth is not asking you to directly confront a dragonmarked House, there is the added complication of their possible involvement and the necessity for delicate reconnaissance in that area. My employer feels that these factors merit a generous reward for the group that can pull this off successfully."

Harvey

First Post
Erin

Erin looks around at the group, impressed with the quality and quantity of their questions. It sounds like everyone will be taking this job, then. Good. I hope by the Host that it turns out to be an easy diplomatic mission. She is holding her ink pen in the air, hesitant to be the first person to commit to the job.

Pebele

First Post
Conditional Consent

Sanae considered everything that had been said before adjusting in her seat and grabbing a pen.

"I will sign this contract, but I reserve the right to break it should I feel that your Master's motivations are not in tune with mine. I care not for the contracts of men, but only for the will of the Church. What you have said does not contradict any of my teachings, so I am not worried."

I care not for the politics of Dragonmarked Houses. I care not for the politics of the lizardfolk. I wish neither any harm, unless they seek to harm me. A means to an end, a way back home, that is all this mission shall be.

She signed on the line of her contract, a very plain and formal signature, and dropped the pen. She waited to see what the others would do.

Yeoman

First Post
After Sanae had signed Xavier picked up a pen and reached for a contract.

"Well, I'm satisfied, hand over that contract."

Being a man of few words, he didn't feel the need to go any more in depth. He put pen to paper in a very tight, orderly signature. If anyone looked closely they might be surprised to find a sense of humor in his signature: 'Xavier Veris, Master Scout'

Harvey

First Post
Erin

As Xavier signs his contract, Erin will also sign hers. "That makes three of us..." she mutters under her breath.

doghead

thotd
'he has no name' warforged warrior

The warforged listens to the messenger's responses. He finds himself satisfied with them. He finds himself wanting to go. He has watched the world go by for long enough. Its time to head out and see a little more of it. He watches as Xavier and Erin sign the contract. He reaches for a copy of the contract. He spends a moment reading over it. Then he takes a quill, and slowly writes the following: warforged, once was Minharath's. He returns the quill to the table. He holds the contract motionless for a moment as ink dries. He hands it to the messenger.

Urko

First Post
Dargin and Shar bow out

As the warforged scrawls his signature, all eyes turn to Dargin and Sharaes. Dargin appears to be deep in conversation with the invisible spirit on his shoulder. Finally, he turns to face the rest of you. "I am afraid that our path lies in a different direction. I wish you the best of luck. What's that, Grandfather?" He listens for a moment. "My Grandfather says to be very, very careful of the Ice Palace. Grandfather, I don't think they know what that means, and neither do I. What do you mean, 'Of course they don't'? Well, I just don't see what point there is giving advice unless you can make it clear. 'I'll understand better when I'm dead?' What is that supposed to mean? I don't see why..." Locked in argument with his unseen ancestor, Dargin wends his way among the tables and out of the hotel.

Sharaes watches them go. He appears torn. Finally, he gathers his possessions and bows slightly. "Please forgive me, but I have an urgent matter of honor that I must attend to. May your ancestors keep you and guide you and may the fates bring your warband victory." Fastening his veil in place, he sets out in pursuit of the halfling.

OOC: It appears that ValenarJaeldira/ByteRynn has disappeared completely. That's too bad, they were both good characters. I will work on recruiting replacements and working them in. Meanwhile, the adventure will continue.

Last edited:

Urko

First Post
The deal is struck

Calabas watches Dargin and Sharaes leave with disappointment. ”Well, four of six is better than I had expected. Hopefully my second set of interviews will be as productive.” He stands and gestures in the direction of the bar. In response, a gnome who had been seated there climbs down from his stool and approaches your table. He is primly dressed and perfectly bald, although he sports a startling white moustache.

”This is Mr. Weven, of House Sivis. He will act as notary.” Weven nods to each of you in turn. Quills are passed around; as each contract is signed, he presses a square rod, about six inches long and tipped with a golden dragonshard, against the paper, producing a complex sigil, which glows briefly. Each contract is next placed in an ornate wooden box, about the size and shape of a lap desk, and when he has all four he slides the rod into a slot in the side of the lid. Weven reopens the box and removes eight pieces of paper. He gives four to Calabas and carefully folds the others and puts them into an inner pocket of his waistcoat. The gnome bows to all of you and departs without ever speaking a word.

”I have taken the liberty of reserving a suite of rooms for you, as well as stabling for your animals. You will find a dinner in your suite that I hope will meet with your satisfaction. I regret to say that I have other duties to perform, so I will be unable to join you, but the staff here have been instructed to be attentive to your needs. I will meet you at the docks in the morning at, shall we say, ten bells? Have a pleasant and restful evening.” Calabas produces and puts on a pair of black silk gloves and gathers up his hat and cane. He seems about to leave when a sudden thought brings him up short. He produces a leather bag from his satchel and tosses it onto the table, where it lands with the familiar clink of coinage. "For your last minute expenses. Please return the remainder to me, along with a list of purchases." With another precise bow, he departs.

There are 100 platinum dragons in the bag. The coins appear new, minted in Korunda Gate.

You’ve got about 16 hours to kill until you leave.

Last edited:

Remove ads