• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Qeas/Quest

Sharkon

First Post
Can this spell used against any creature that is not immune to mind affecting spells ? For example can i controll a demon or a non humanoid creature since it says it affects any creature ?

As i read this spell it seems too overpowered... Can anyone say if it actually is like that ?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Looks to me as though the answer is yes, assuming the creature understands what you're saying and you can pull off the 10-minute casting time.

Jacob

Explorer
One of those things that you think doesn't need to be asked, but yes. Anything that is alive and can be mentally effected can be given a Geas/Quest. Please note however: it is not control. That's Domination you're thinking about. Geas/Quest simple gives the recipient a specific task, and should they refuse to seek it, they die. They have a choice in the entire matter, and during that period they can still decide to kill you before undertaking it.:devil:

Thanael

Explorer
Please note however: it is not control. That's Domination you're thinking about. Geas/Quest simple gives the recipient a specific task, and should they refuse to seek it, they die. They have a choice in the entire matter, and during that period they can still decide to kill you before undertaking it.:devil:

Exactly. And the creature also has a choice in the manner in which it seeks to fulfill the geas/quest.

Runestar

First Post
The spell however, does not require a save, which can be problematic when replicated via limited wish (thereby working around the long casting time). Combined with arcane reach, what you have is a 7th lv spell which can potentially disable a foe without need for a save and turn it to your side (albeit at a small xp cost).

CWBush

First Post
Love, love, love using this spell on a particularly cantankerous PC. Had a campaign where the party's leader just flat out refused to play along with the rest of the party and it was seriously disrupting the flow of the game. One Geas later and he had some extra storyline motivation (wanting to get the Geas removed) and we were moving in vaguely the right direction.

Jacob

Explorer
The spell however, does not require a save, which can be problematic when replicated via limited wish (thereby working around the long casting time). Combined with arcane reach, what you have is a 7th lv spell which can potentially disable a foe without need for a save and turn it to your side (albeit at a small xp cost).
At minimum, you are talking a 13th Level Wizard with an Int 24. It's a nice ability you have there, but there's a cost...

1. 500 XP per casting, which I suppose at such levels is small, but...
2. It's not an instant desired effect. Sure, you cast it on the giant, and then he slaughtered you and the rest of the party. He's going to start taking damage the next day if he doesn't do his Quest, but you're already dead, so... *shrug*

All the same, I like the setup of this ability. A nice touch, and clever if you can manage to get the proper wording of the Geas/Quest so that the big bads you need to take out now don't kill you because you wanted to do that instead of Forcecage (or other nice instant or no save spell). The benefits outside of battle though are what really intrigue me.:devil:

Love, love, love using this spell on a particularly cantankerous PC. Had a campaign where the party's leader just flat out refused to play along with the rest of the party and it was seriously disrupting the flow of the game. One Geas later and he had some extra storyline motivation (wanting to get the Geas removed) and we were moving in vaguely the right direction.
Beware the gamer that screams at you for 30 minutes because you're being unfair to him and what he wants to do. Had it. It sucks.

CWBush

First Post
Beware the gamer that screams at you for 30 minutes because you're being unfair to him and what he wants to do. Had it. It sucks.

Thankfully he was able to find a fun way to work with it, and we were good enough friends outside of the game that I could sit him down and explain my logic. He eventually realized his being self indulgent had basically detracted from everybody else's enjoyment of the game.

Jacob

Explorer
Thankfully he was able to find a fun way to work with it, and we were good enough friends outside of the game that I could sit him down and explain my logic. He eventually realized his being self indulgent had basically detracted from everybody else's enjoyment of the game.
You lucked out then. Me, I got a stubborn bully who to this day still thinks I was arbitrary against him and what he wanted to do in the game. Can't quite wrap my brain around that "logic", and I thankfully don't have to. :erm:

CuRoi

First Post
You lucked out then. Me, I got a stubborn bully who to this day still thinks I was arbitrary against him and what he wanted to do in the game. Can't quite wrap my brain around that "logic", and I thankfully don't have to. :erm:

Sounds like some personal issues there...of course we don't know what you did : )

Anyway, on Geas, I once ran an Irish legend influenced campaign where everyone in the party had a Geas. They crossed into the Otherworld at some point and got "Faye Marked" by the inhabitants there. It meant not only a wierd earthly obligation but it also aligned each player with a faction from the Otherworld. It was quite fun actually. Some were harmless, some were pretty open ended.

I think the thing that would make this spell "broken" is a DM applying an interpretation that turns the spell into some form of mental domination or soemthing. Always consider the intelligence of the creature it is cast on, that creature's motivations, their ability to react to the restrictions, etc.

I love these spells simply because they have some latitude built in and can be great plot hooks whether its NPCs or PCs casting them. DMs that don't love it when players cast these ambiguous spells should probably consider a different role at the table : ) Geas, Wish, Divinations, etc. etc.

I can't stand the fact that every spell in the book got put through the "combat only" lens and everything gets defined by its use in combat. (For instance -iIt really kills the utility of some spells when durations are all based on 6 second rounds and such.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads