Quantum Leap Reboot (spoilers allowed)

R_J_K75

Legend
On the contrary, I think that updating to current times and issues is a good thing. The original series did a good job, for its time, in opening up perspectives. That's a worthy pursuit.

My skepticism is that NBC has had a really crummy record with scifi shows for quite a while now. La Brea. Debris. Powerless. Heroes Reborn. Emerald City. Constantine. Believe. Awake. Do No Harm. Dracula. All cancelled after one season.

They've had Manifest run for three seasons, though I didn't like it much. They had The Good Place, but that's more because Michael Shur is awesome than any merit of NBC's.

One totally awesome show they had, Timeless, they went and cancelled, it got revived for a second season by, of all things, Sony pushing for it, and then cancelled again (but at least gave it a wrap-up TV movie, for which I was grateful).
That was my point, the new "Equalizer" is a good example of a reboot/reimagining that was cancelled iirc after 2 seasons. I agree that QL could update new episodes to the 80s, 90s and 2000s as the original focused on the 50s, 60s and 70s mostly. IDR the last episode of the first series but remember where I was watching it. I vaguely recall it being wonky and disjointed.

Ryujin

Legend
That was my point, the new "Equalizer" is a good example of a reboot/reimagining that was cancelled iirc after 2 seasons. I agree that QL could update new episodes to the 80s, 90s and 2000s as the original focused on the 50s, 60s and 70s mostly. IDR the last episode of the first series but remember where I was watching it. I vaguely recall it being wonky and disjointed.
Many seem to miss what was great, or even just the point of the original, when trying to reboot/reimagine an old series. Look what happened when they tried to reboot "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." They went for a dark & gritty remake where Kolchak was a tortured soul, who was directly impacted by the paranormal things that he covered. In the original series Kolchak was essentially an in-frame comedic narrator, shepherding the viewer through the story. The reboot didn't last a season.

If it's as Morrus says, essentially the original made today, then it should do pretty well just based on nostalgia.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thats what I was thinking too. Personally, I'd be surprised if it sees a season 2 let alone make it through the first. I think this is clearly a case of not every show needs a reboot. I could be wrong; hope I am so I'll give it a shot.
Have you seen it?

R_J_K75

Legend
Have you seen it?
I have not. I watched the Bills v. Titans game last night on NBC. It ended 10:15 or so. The new Quantum Leap was on NBC too at 10PM EST, so by the time the post-game show was over They didnt show it as the news comes on at 11. Sure I can catch it on Peacock. And the 10PM Monday night time slot is going up against Fear Thy Neighbor

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have not. I watched the Bills v. Titans game last night on NBC. It ended 10:15 or so. The new Quantum Leap was on NBC too at 10PM EST, so by the time the post-game show was over They didnt show it as the news comes on at 11. Sure I can catch it on Peacock. And the 10PM Monday night time slot is going up against Fear Thy Neighbor
I don't know what most of those words mean.

But for somebody who hasn't watched it, "...personally, I'd be surprised if it sees a season 2 let alone make it through the first. I think this is clearly a case of not every show needs a reboot" seems a bizarrely strong opinion. Maybe try watching it before proclaiming judgement? It's fine.

Remove ads