Quantum Leap Reboot (spoilers allowed)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I meant is in the new show, we have a new leaper. Or at least the new main character is leaping into various people now.

Oh, I get what you mean.

Unfortunately, as far as we know, there's only one Quantum Leap Accelerator - the one both Sam and Ben use. That would seem to be a limit on how many people are jumping around helping the world.

Hades#2

Explorer
I watched this last night and it was okay. I hope, like some shows, it gets better as the writers figure out the characters. In the original they rarely showed the future where Al, Ziggy, Gushi, etc were. If I remember correctly, in the 1st episode of the original, Al couldn't tell Sam anything to avoid Sam messing up past events he wasn't supposed to change.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Why is his grilfriend not telling him she's his girlfriend? Is there some law of Temporal Secrecy they haven't mentioned which will cause the world to blow up if he knows?
Not mission critical? She said she was meant to be the Leaper. Did they say what her background is yet? She's probably former military. She's compartmentalizing her emotions, and is helping him the way she knows how, keeping it secret.

What streamer is it on in the UK? Do you have Peacock?

I watched the pilot last night. It's ok, but I have reservations. It has some glaring weaknesses that a lot of modern television has these days. I liked the characters but felt the pace was a bit too break neck. I liked in the original they slowed things down and let Sam cook in his new reality. We got to live vicariously through him as he figured out what has happened to him.

So, the air of mystery is clear here. Why did Ben blow off his engagement party and jump himself? We get just a few nibbles, but its going to stay that way because now he has amnesia. Each episode we will get a little piece of the puzzle. This is a very intriguing beginning to a series. It is also rife with pitfalls. You reveal the mystery too soon, and the show becomes boring and viewers have little reason to stay tuned. You drag the mystery on and people lose interest as good guys become bad guys and bad guys become good guys and you even get to the reverse etc...

Will they avoid the traps? Maybe, but most network television runs face first into these buzzsaws lasting 1-2 seasons. I guess we will see.

Do you know where it is streaming? I didn't realize it aired. I might check out the first couple of episodes just to see how it is.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Appears to be on CITY-TV in Canada, so their streaming service here. I think that I get that as part of my cable bundle, but not sure.
Sounds like Peacock and Comcast cable. Comcast owns Peacock and NBC so they made it available for free to those with the cable service.

R_J_K75

Legend
Here's my take. Watched the first episode on Peacock and shut it off after 10-15 minutes. I thought the plot was just awkward, two thumbs down.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I watched the pilot last night. It's ok, but I have reservations. It has some glaring weaknesses that a lot of modern television has these days. I liked the characters but felt the pace was a bit too break neck. I liked in the original they slowed things down and let Sam cook in his new reality. We got to live vicariously through him as he figured out what has happened to him.

So, the air of mystery is clear here. Why did Ben blow off his engagement party and jump himself? We get just a few nibbles, but its going to stay that way because now he has amnesia. Each episode we will get a little piece of the puzzle. This is a very intriguing beginning to a series. It is also rife with pitfalls. You reveal the mystery too soon, and the show becomes boring and viewers have little reason to stay tuned. You drag the mystery on and people lose interest as good guys become bad guys and bad guys become good guys and you even get to the reverse etc...

Will they avoid the traps? Maybe, but most network television runs face first into these buzzsaws lasting 1-2 seasons. I guess we will see.

Having watched 2 episodes -

With 2 plots (The Ben leaping plot and the lab/mystery plot) they have to cut the time they show Ben in his new reality.

Personally, not a fan of the "Why did he do it..." workplace plotline. It will take away (probably a third+) from every historical A plot and it just doesn't (IMO) add much. Do the writers REALLY think they'll be able to maintain tension than Ben (and others) have a "nefarious" agenda that's been hidden? I don't think so (and wouldn't like it if there was one). Of course, that's because I heavily dislike jigsaw plots/mystery boxes (most of the time) which is what the B plotline is shaping up to be.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, interesting tidbit.

In the second episode, the new astronaut, Samantha Stratton...

In the pilot of the original series, Sam leaped into Tom Stratton, an X-2 test pilot. Sam saved Tom Stratton from dying in a test flight, and saves Stratton's daughter from being stillborn.

That daughter was named Samantha.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases