• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quarterstaff, shield and polearm master

First 44 seconds of this video. Makes for a fun demonstration of what you could do with a quarter staff one handed.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ygRholyh5g[/video]

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
First 44 seconds of this video. Makes for a fun demonstration of what you could do with a quarter staff one handed.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ygRholyh5g[/video]

Hmm it seems to me like the first 44 seconds of that video makes for a fun demonstration of what you can do with a spear one handed.

A quarterstaff is a poor thrusting weapon IMHO. A spear is maybe the best thrusting weapon there is.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hmm it seems to me like the first 44 seconds of that video makes for a fun demonstration of what you can do with a spear one handed.

A quarterstaff is a poor thrusting weapon IMHO. A spear is maybe the best thrusting weapon there is.

I dunno, I sure wouldn’t want to get poked with a big heavy stick.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Of course not, but which would you rather not get poked by if you were going to get poked by one a big heavy stick or a spear?

big heavy stick. Broken ribs heal longer than a stab wound.
of course none of these are pleasant and both can do significant additional damage, I would not underestimate being poked with a heavy stick tho

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
big heavy stick. Broken ribs heal longer than a stab wound.
Except if that stab wound kills you. Heavy stick has a much poorer time of reaching a vital organ.

Sure you can crush skulls swinging it, but can you do that poking one handed?

of course none of these are pleasant and both can do significant additional damage, I would not underestimate being poked with a heavy stick tho

I certainly won't underestimate it, though I definitely think one was more effective as a combat weapon than the other.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Except if that stab wound kills you. Heavy stick has a much poorer time of reaching a vital organ. Sure you can crush skulls swinging it, but can you do that poking one handed?

After the errata change, how many people using polearm mastery and shield are using a normal quarterstaff for the job now that a fighter-type can use a spear for the task? It seems to me that the only people who'd want to use a quarterstaff and shield instead of spear and shield are the people who can cast shillelagh on the staff but not the spear. Once you're using magic on the staff to boost your damage, I think it's safe to assume that the ends of the staff are at least as dangerous as a spear point to be hit with. And you wouldn't need to swing the weight of it hard enough to crush skulls, you're not using physical movement (strength) to do damage, you're using your magical ability based on wisdom or charisma.

I don't have a problem visualizing someone using a shillelaghed staff to do spear-style fighting, and I think that's the only set of people who are likely to use that particular combo now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads