Quest Cards - Good or Bad?

My opinion of quest cards is:

• Poll closed .

malraux

First Post
So I'm wondering other GMs have tried quest cards in their game. I'm giving them a try in my EtCRavenloft4e game. Thus far, I've decided that they have a place in the game. Since the module is pretty non-linear, I think they help to keep everyone remembering the goals. Anyone else give them a try?

Attachments

• Questcardexample.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 335

fba827

Adventurer
I have not tried them but it seems like an organized way to do it if your group likes card (like power cards or cards for magic items).

My groups simply keep a list on paper (noting what needs to be done, whose quest it is, whether it's tentative/completed/etc). But my group also doesn't tend to like power cards (we feel better with the powers written out on a single paper -- guess we just aren't that 'tactile')

Though, I do like the added graphics to the sample cards you have there. So that might help bring the quest to life rather than just something cold and emotionless on paper.

malraux

First Post
Though, I do like the added graphics to the sample cards you have there. So that might help bring the quest to life rather than just something cold and emotionless on paper.

Its a good way to show off the artwork from the book without just turning the book to the group.

Syrsuro

First Post
The RPGA LFR Story Awards are, in essence, a form of Quest Card since many of them indicate that the character has completed one or more steps of a multi-adventure quest.

Carl

wedgeski

Adventurer
I haven't yet found the PC's have enough quests to require cards and I don't want to do it for the sake of it. However, those are really nice. :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Quests cards are great for our games. As we have some 10 session per year with each campaign, adventures tend to take a loong time in the real world. Thus, players have a hard time remembering details of the session. (I'm amazed at to what my players deem noteworthy! :mad:) I tensd to give them quest cards at the beginning of the next session after they agreed to the quest.

malraux

First Post
The other things I've noticed with my group: first, including the art helps with memory. It seems like the players remember a bit more about each element of the quests when they can reference the card. Second, it seems to help keep the group organized from week to week. The cards are in the order that they want to try to accomplish them, so there's no rehashing of debates from the previous week about what they want to try this week.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Huh... I remember reading about this idea but it went in one eye and bypassed my brain and leaked out my ear I think.

But now that you mention it, I think it's a great idea. Even in committed groups who pay attention and care about plot, it can be a task and a half to keep everyone on track and remembering what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Will definitely consider for the future. Pages to the rescue again!

malraux

First Post
Huh... I remember reading about this idea but it went in one eye and bypassed my brain and leaked out my ear I think.

But now that you mention it, I think it's a great idea. Even in committed groups who pay attention and care about plot, it can be a task and a half to keep everyone on track and remembering what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Will definitely consider for the future. Pages to the rescue again!

It gets a small mention in the DMG, and was the subject of much derision when it came out in a preview article.

What I do hope is that once WotC starts putting out more complicated adventures (like the upcoming Giants adventure), they offer stuff like this for download and printing.

Remove ads