Question about 1e MM2

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
In the listing of Devils it shows a list of dukes and major devils in service of the Arch-Devils. Some of them had an * next to their names. What does this signify? I can't find anything that explains it.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Off the top of my head, I think it means that that particular devil is just a very tough pit fiend. None of those *names have a write up, correct? I believe it says somewhere in the Devil intro that this is the case.

Amazing what info you can retain from 15 years ago.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Kid Charlemagne said:

Actually, it's amazing that I can remember the attributes of a bullywug, but for the life of me I can't remember a thing about two years of high school French.

Talaysen

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:

Actually, it's amazing that I can remember the attributes of a bullywug, but for the life of me I can't remember a thing about two years of high school French.

That's cuz you're never gonna USE high school French, dude! And if you try, French people are obligated to be even more rude to you.

Really. It happened to my mother the last time she tried to speak French to a waiter in a French restaurant. At Disney World, of all places...you'd think Disney World would be the one place on Earth where the French would be NICE to you, but NOOOO...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Kid Charlemagne said:
Off the top of my head, I think it means that that particular devil is just a very tough pit fiend. None of those *names have a write up, correct? I believe it says somewhere in the Devil intro that this is the case.

I didn't see anything showing what the asterisk was for, but that sounds right. I notice that it shows Moloch with the asterisk.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:

I didn't see anything showing what the asterisk was for, but that sounds right. I notice that it shows Moloch with the asterisk.

Moloch is *not* a tough pit fiend, but an archdevil and the viceroy of Baalzebul, ruling one of his two layers of Hell for him. He had unique stats and a description listed in the 1e MM2.

Not having MM2 in front of me, I would hazard a guess that the asterisk (*) by Moloch was a typo?

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Okay, I have the book in front of me, and I looked a few times, there is nothing that says what the * means.
If you look at page 45 under Plane: Ruler: Moloch has a * after his name.
He does not on page 44.
The reason you ask?
He is a "Grand Duke" and Viceroy to under Baalzebul and not and "Arch Duke".

Now for the List on page 44, my guess is all the Ones with * are infact pit-fiends because they all look weak.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Thanks. I've been organizing the Hells for my campaign and have been making lists of who rules what and what named devils are under what Arch Devils. Since I'm bypassing all the 2e Planescape Bloodwar stupidity I need 1e stuff to find info.

Thanks again!

Remove ads