• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about being Slowed and Double Moving

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Noinarap said:
Next issue: how do we feel about charging while slowed? It's probably kosher by RAW, but it makes a silly picture in my head.

I'd say no charging. No idea if that's how the books handle it, but that will likely be my ruling should the issue ever arise around the table.

GoLu

First Post
Noinarap said:
Next issue: how do we feel about charging while slowed? It's probably kosher by RAW, but it makes a silly picture in my head.

I think technically you can, since you only need to move 2 squares to charge. I wouldn't feel too bad if a DM ruled the other way.

Hmmm... So what about shifting? Is that considered a movement mode (and thus limited to speed 2 by slow) or is that just something you do? (A lot of the shifting powers are limited to 1-2 squares anyway, or are derived from your speed, but some of the ranger powers let you shift a number of squares equal to your wisdom modifier, which could very well be +3.)

Shabe

First Post
GoLu said:
I think technically you can, since you only need to move 2 squares to charge. I wouldn't feel too bad if a DM ruled the other way.

Hmmm... So what about shifting? Is that considered a movement mode (and thus limited to speed 2 by slow) or is that just something you do? (A lot of the shifting powers are limited to 1-2 squares anyway, or are derived from your speed, but some of the ranger powers let you shift a number of squares equal to your wisdom modifier, which could very well be +3.)

At first look I'd be inclined to say they can shift up to 2 squares, although that could get tricky with some of the slide someone so far and shift adjacent to them, there is no speed there is just a defined start and end of the movement, also when you slide a slowed person due to goading and and feinting past the 2 squares limit, i think its best if we don't think too hard about those situations and only apply the slow effect to anything that mentions move/shift your speed.

webrunner

First Post
Run: Run does not increase your speed, so Slow does not reduce the final square count distance to 2 again (since the "Speed+2" is not "your speed")

Double move: Double move is worded oddly, it depends on how you take the "one speed" section. However, it does say "You add the speeds of the two move actions together" - each move action has a speed of two, and you move using that resultant double speed. It's ambiguous whether that counts as "your speed" for the purposes of slow, but I would say that it's probably smart to err on the side of sanity: slow doesnt stop you from taking two move actions to move 2 each if there's another action between them, so why would it stop you from taking them adjacent? The Rules as Intended obviously make Double Move to be such that you can benefit from the "half square" movements through difficult terrain and through ally squares, not to take super penalties from being slowed.

Ginnel

Explorer
Nikosandros said:
If you are slowed, you can't increase your speed by running, because that would increase your speed.

But if you double move, you move two times in a row your speed, you don't double your speed. Double moving means that you spend twice the time moving, so while your speed remain the same, the distance covered doubles.

a move action Move = Speed
A run action Run = Speed + 2

If speed can't equal more than two and has to be a whole positive number we get

Run = 2+2 or possibly Run = 1 + 2

But basically

Run you move your speed + 2 can be interpretted two ways

either
Run is your speed +2. where you are increasing your speed with that +2

or that
Run is your speed +2. where the +2 is adding only to the squares moved on your run action and is not actually increasing your speed

I'd prefer a clarification in run which says either your speed is increased by 2 for the duration of the run action or, run = move your current speed + 2 squares.

baberg

First Post
There are two situations here:

Double Move - a Slowed Double Move (as defined on p.284) would only let you move two squares because you would add your Speed 2 together with Speed 2, but Slowed says your Speed can never exceed 2. Thus 2+2 = 2, in this case.

Moving twice - If you don't do a Double Move and instead trade your Standard Action for another Move Action, you could move 2 squares, then move 2 squares again.

What's the difference, you ask? Double Moves normally allow you to "break" some movement rules like ending a "move" in an ally's square because it's considered all part of the same "move".

So a Double Move while Slowed is 2 squares. Two move actions while slowed is 4 squares.

You do not have to double move if you move twice in a round. Double move is a specific move listed so that you may add your speed of both move actions together and use this larger move total to do things. This comes in useful if you are a non-elf and wish to shift into difficult terrain. You would "double shift" and now have 2 movement to shift with, which is how much you need for a difficult square shift ( again if you are a non-elf).

If you DEMAND to use the double move while slowed, your speed would be 2 because while slowed your speed is 2. However nothing stops you from taking one move action at 2, and another move action at 2.

GoLu

First Post
Nikosandros said:
I'll reiterate a question that I posed earlier.

What happens to a slowed character in heavy armor?

My hunch (based on page 283 of the PHB)? The character's speed is reduced to 2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads