Question about "If Thoughts Could Kill"

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it has been answered before (I did a quick look before)...

I noticed that "If Thoughts Could Kill" was a 10th level adventure... However in other discussions on this board, it sounds as if there were alternate rules with this adventure that might be useable for beginning psionic characters. Is this so? Should I purchase this if I don't have any characters even close to 10th level?

Thanks for any advice...

omedon

First Post
Well if you like psionics, then I would. Bruce R. Cordell himself has said that if he were to rewrite the Psionics Handbook today that he would include the new rules in If Thoughts Could Kill. They give the psion a lot more versatility, so he is less of a one trick pony, while still maintaining game balance.

$5 dollars isn't really all that much for a great rules improvement, I bought it myself primarily for this reason, the adventure was an added bonus for me. Plus when your characters do reach 10th you'll have a great psionic adventure ready for them.

enrious

omedon said:

$5 dollars isn't really all that much for a great rules improvement, I bought it myself primarily for this reason,

I just bought it for exactly this reason and I'm not disappointed.

kenjib

First Post
It also converts most wizard spells to powers, which means that you also have an alternate, mana-based, magic system at your disposal with a little minor fiddling and cut-and-paste between the wizard and psion classes.

Last edited:

I guess my main question was, is this for 1st level players or only 10th level and beyond? (I wasn't very clear in asking, sorry) Judging by the answers it seems I could use it for the beginners. Hmmn... print or pdf? I actually prefer print... hmmnn

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
The adventure is solely for 10th and beyond (its kinda hard to find level ones with access to scrying and teleport).

The "optional" rules will greatly encourage the survivability of your psions until that level, however.

I would very strongly reccomend purchasing the book if you are going to allow/encourage psi characters.

Selganor

Adventurer
If you need a good intro-adventure for psionics I guess you should pick up "Of Sound Mind" by this board's Piratecat.
I just finished playing it (and will soon run it for my other group) and must say it is really a GREAT way to introcude psionics into a campaign which has not yet used any psionics whatsoever. And if you find out that the players HATE psionics you can get rid of it after the adventure as easily.

HTH

Selganor

http://karathis.2xs.de

Remove ads