• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about reserve feats

matthewajg

First Post
Does anyone have the details on a reserve feat like Fiery Burst but for electrical energy? What is the prereq? What is the damage dealt, range, etc.? Can anyone help out?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It's in the same book as Fiery Burst. It's called Storm Bolt, does damage in a 20 ft. line instead of fiery burst's ranged burst, reflex for half damage as you'd expect. Same damage and save DC calculations as Fiery Burst, though the prerequisite spell level is one higher, I think.

Personally, if you just want the best elemental reserve feat, storm bolt is NOT it. Twenty feet is often too close for comfort IME. If you're already a lightning mage, then it's worth just for the +1 CL, of course. The latter is the reason to get it, though. The best part of Fiery Burst is that no one can tell you caused it if you're smart about it. Plus...fire burns things. ^_^
My favorite is the acid one, though (again, same book -- Complete Mage).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Storm Bolt is brilliant for a Cleric (with the Air domain) or a Druid, though. Any full-caster who would be comfortable tanking and has a bunch of [Electricity] spells available.

Cheers, -- N

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Cleric, sure. Druid, I disagree on. Storm Bolt requires you to be CL 5 at least, so barring bonus feats, you're getting it at level 6 or later. Druid level 6 feat is literally taken by you-know-what. Similarly, I think any feat taken after that is better spent on either feats to improve wildshape/expand wildshape options, flight-based feats like Flyby Attack, or the Monor Shapechange reserve feat. At the bare minimum, that last feat is like a refillable Improved Toughness. And druids can easily keep a spell prepared to power it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads