• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about the ENworld profanity filters.

Dirigible

Explorer
Hi there;

I was curious about the swear-word filters used on ENworld.
Clearly, they are not context-senstive; I've lost words as innocent as cockeral (c-o-c-k-e-r-a-l) and s:):):):):):) (s-n-i-g-g-e-r), which can be obnoxious but is a necessary evil, I suppose.

Who decided what words were to be on the list? Was it written on an English or American basis (swearwords being a very culture-specific thing, after all)? Both?

Was 'bastard' deliberatly left off the verboten list in order to save us from having to say 'hand-and-a-half sword' all the time? Or because it's not very pungent these days, as cusswords go?

Bare in mind I'm not complaining, I was just curious as the the thinking behind it all.

edit: though I see cockeral is permissable now :)

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
The majority of the words on the list are "American" profanities, and really, there aren't that many. It is customizeable, as in "the :):):):) crows thrice" and Michael Moorcock (I think) still demonstrates.

Generally, it's best not to worry about it, and go back and edit your post down to a softer word if you find it bleeped something you said.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I was always partial to prick-- Prick my thumb vs. "the halfling is an insufferable prick."

EDIT: Well, looks like they both work. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads