• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question anout adding damage

sunbear

Explorer
I am sure this question has been asked but you know the story.....

When a power says that it does 1[w] damage, no ability mod bonus, just weapon damage, does that mean that you add the magic item bonus to damage? What about damage added by feats? Or power bonuses from other powers?

Example a dwarf fighter with a 16str and the dwarven weapon training feat that is using sure strike, wielding a +2 battle axe, and able to use a +3 power bonus to damage from the warlord alies furious smash is his damage 1d8+7?

Hope I got all that right.

thanks for the help in advance fellows.

Gloombunny

First Post
Damage bonuses from feats, items, other powers, etc are not conditional on the attack having its attribute bonus added. The only difference between "1[W] + Strength" and "1[W]" is that one of them adds the Strength bonus. Anything else affecting the damage affects both of them the same way.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
Any bonus that says it adds to "damage rolls" adds to any attack that has a "[W]" in it. Because that's what the "[W]" means - that you roll a die.

Doomhawk

First Post
If the power has the Weapon keyword and rolls dice for damage, you add the enhancement bonus to damage. An ability without the Weapon keyword doesn't get it, and neither does an ability that deals a flat amount of damage (such as a warlord's Furious Strike).

BWS

First Post
In a related question, when a power deals 2[W] damage, which things get multiplied by two? The dice only? The modifiers? Anything else?

Lensman

First Post
2[W] means you roll twice the weapon damage dice. So a weapon doing 2d4 would do 4d4. Any other damage modifiers are not doubled.

BWS

First Post
That's what I thought. Looking at the damage rules on PHB p.276, I see now that the example does it this way. I just couldn't find the actual rule when I went looking for it.

am181d

Adventurer
Had the same question as the OP last week. Figured it out eventually, but it required a fair amount of head scratching first. The rules in the Combat chapter are not as clear as you'd like.

(There's an example where it says basically, "This ability does 1[W]+STR, so it does 1d10+7, because the Strength modifier is +5 and it's a +2 weapon, which makes it sound like all modifiers are "grouped" with the Strength modifier. Would have better, perhaps, to write it as 1d10+5+2, at least for that example, though given the small number of powers that don't lend an ability modifier to damage, it's a relatively small issue.)

Remove ads