Level Up (A5E) Question: Battle Hymn's

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Well, in o5e when you're at 0 hp you're unconscious and incapacitated. Thus you cannot take any action or reaction. Spending HD is not classified as either, but at the same time it's not a regeneration like effect. I don't know if any of this changed in a5e.

Sure, but because the death save may result in dying while spending the HD will always get you back to consciousness and positive HP, I think it's pretty much guaranteed there will always be one choice, i.e. spending HD.
I think in a5e, the death save the hit die spending or even being hit by healing word will give you a le sl of strife & fatigue when whichever brings you back.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Well, in o5e when you're at 0 hp you're unconscious and incapacitated. Thus you cannot take any action or reaction. Spending HD is not classified as either, but at the same time it's not a regeneration like effect. I don't know if any of this changed in a5e.
Maybe this should just be treated as a Rule of Cool thing? Your music is so awesome that it can bring the mostly-dead back to life.

MarkB

Legend
Maybe this should just be treated as a Rule of Cool thing? Your music is so awesome that it can bring the mostly-dead back to life.
The Battle Hymn ability specifically doesn't require targets to see or hear you, so I think we can take it as being an actual magical effect, not just a supercharged morale booster.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I would prefer if the target had to hear a hymn for it to work. These are, fictionally, inspiration,imo. Hard to be inspired if you can't hear, or sense, it

That said, RAW..... No need to hear.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of our horde;
We are trampling out the dungeons where the gold and gems are stored;
We march with prayers, lightning, and our fierce and stealthy swords;
Our party marches on!

Glory, glory, glory, hallelujah...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases