WOIN [Question] DEFENSE and attribute checks?

Drekin

Villager
Hello again
Drekin has returned with another question!

I remember reading that Defense Scores where just simplified attribute checks, so does that mean an exploit that gives you +1d6 END would give you extra VITAL DEFENSE?

Please advise
Drekin

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Short answer: Yes.

More detailed answer: Defense scores are simplified versions of attribute checks in that they are derived from pre-calculated dice pools, rather than rolling opposed attack/defense checks for every attack. You can do the latter, it's your choice, but the quicker, recommended way in WOIN is to determine a pre-calculated average DEFENSE score based on the size of the relevant dice pools. Compare dice pool to charts provided (p. 72 in NOW rulebook, p. 63 in NEW rulebook). So anything that adds dice to your END dice pool will increase your VITAL DEFENSE score.

Defense is calculated by a dice pool consisting of "attribute, skill, and equipment" limited by regular dice pool limit.

If you have some exploit that just gives +1d6 to an END check, then no. It doesn't affect your defense. 'Cause defense is not an attribute check, it's a defense check. This is just like the INFUSE magic skill not affecting defense.

If you had some exploit that just added +1 to the END attribute itself (and I'm not aware of any exploit with a mechanic like that), then yes. I'd say it does affect your defense score.

Drekin

Villager
Defense is calculated by a dice pool consisting of "attribute, skill, and equipment" limited by regular dice pool limit.

If you have some exploit that just gives +1d6 to an END check, then no. It doesn't affect your defense. 'Cause defense is not an attribute check, it's a defense check. This is just like the INFUSE magic skill not affecting defense.

If you had some exploit that just added +1 to the END attribute itself (and I'm not aware of any exploit with a mechanic like that), then yes. I'd say it does affect your defense score.
And where do you get that about INFUSE magic? Because I can't find anything that says one way or another. Just like I'd ask if INFUSE magic giving +1d6 STR or the Mighty enchantment on armor giving +1d6 STR wouldn't also increase your dice pool with melee weapons? Since that is a STR check

DEFENSE is an attribute check. It just happens to be one we average instead of manual rolling each time.

Okay, badly phrased on my end. Competing terms across a dozen different systems. But defense isn't an endurance check is more what I was getting at. So, a +1dX to ENDURANCE wouldn't affect DEFENSE just because the amount of ENDURANCE figures into DEFENSE.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, badly phrased on my end. Competing terms across a dozen different systems. But defense isn't an endurance check is more what I was getting at. So, a +1dX to ENDURANCE wouldn't affect DEFENSE just because the amount of ENDURANCE figures into DEFENSE.
Vital Defense is an END check. Ranged Defence is an AGI check. etc.

So, an exploit or spell or whatever that gives a +1dX to STR/AGI/WILL/CHA/END checks DOES improve the defense?

So they'd also improve attacks, carrying capacity, and other things tied to those attributes?

I could've SWORN I asked a similar question and got a different answer... Maybe not.

Nope, I was remembering incorrectly. I was just never corrected when making a comment about that increase to STRENGTH not affecting carrying capacity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases