D&D 1E Question on Death Abilities for 1E Monsters

SubDude

Explorer
I want to use some of my older monsters from the AD&D Monster Manual. Not sure how some of these ought to work with the new Death Saves rules....

1. Green Slime "will attach itself to living flesh, and in 1-4 melee rounds thereafter turn the creature into green slime (no resurrection possible)." Given that a melee round is now 6 seconds instead of 60, I assume it will take ten times as many rounds. But my question is how does this effect get translated into D&D 5E effects? Assuming the slime isn't scraped off or otherwise removed, does the victim get any Death Saves, or what?

2. Rot Grub "will viciously burrow into any living flesh which touches them, for they greatly enjoy such fare to dine upon. The victim must immediately apply flame to the wound (1-6 hit points damage per application) or have a cure disease spell cost upon him. Otherwise, the rot grubs will burrow to the heart and kill their host in 1-3 turns." Same issue, any kind of Death Save apply?

3. Yellow Mold "spores shoot out in an asphyxiating cloud.... Any creature which is within this could will die... unless it makes a saving throw versus poison."

I'm sure that there are other monsters that don't deal actual damage points. What's a good way to handle these sorts of situations?

Shiroiken

Legend
Green Slime exists in the DMG, along with Yellow Mold IIRC.

I miss the Rot Grub, and would suggest the following:

AC: 7, HP 1 (1d4-2)
Str: 1 Dex: 6 Con: 6 Int: 1 Wis: 2 Cha: 2

Action
Burrow: When adjacent to exposed skin, the Rot Grub may attempt to burrow into it. The target must make a Dexterity Save DC: 13 to reflexively draw away from the initial bite. If a creature has a Rot Grub burrowed into it, it takes 1d4 necrotic damage at the start of each of their Turns. As an Action, a creature can make a Wisdom/Medicine check DC: 15 to remove 1d4 Rot Grubs by cutting them out or burning them (dealing 1d4 piercing or fire damage to the target).

I'm sure this needs some refinement (as well as a CR), but it should help get you started.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6790261]SubDude[/MENTION] Green Slime and Yellow Mold are in the 5e DMG.

Basically, 5e handles these as ongoing poison damage at the start of each of the creature's turns unless preventative measures are taking (e.g. scraping the slime off, burning/freezing the slime, exposing it to sunlight/radiation).

Remove ads