WOIN [Question] Types of SOAK and Magic?

Drekin

Villager
Hello
More Drekin questions, hurray!

"There are three types of Soak: natural, armor, and special (which includes Soak granted by magic). The different types of Soak don’t stack with each other; you use the best available. For example, if you have 5 natural Soak and 8 armor Soak, you apply 8 Soak any time you are struck by an arrow."

The text is from the O.L.D. corebook. I was wondering if the SPECIAL SOAK mentioned, such as from abjuration magic, stacks with other types of SOAK.
If you have Armor SOAK 5 and cast a spell of +3 SOAK do you then have 8 SOAK?

Secondly, does Special SOAK work against any type of damage?

Please advise
Drekin

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The text is from the O.L.D. corebook. I was wondering if the SPECIAL SOAK mentioned, such as from abjuration magic, stacks with other types of SOAK.
If you have Armor SOAK 5 and cast a spell of +3 SOAK do you then have 8 SOAK?

That question is directly answered in the text you quoted.

Secondly, does Special SOAK work against any type of damage?

The SOAK's damage types are defined in the effect, again specifically explained in the text. For abjuration spells it says: "This enables the target to withstand the damage type of the secret".

Drekin

Villager
That question is directly answered in the text you quoted.
I'll assume that means it doesn't and I'm just a bit too thick. However is it then correct that any exploits that provide +X SOAK and doesn't specify type, stacks with all types?

The SOAK's damage types are defined in the effect, again specifically explained in the text. For abjuration spells it says: "This enables the target to withstand the damage type of the secret".
Withstanding. Cost 1 MP per +2 SOAK.
This enables the target to withstand the damage type of the secret; it does not deflect it away. Affected creatures gain a bonus to their Soak score vs. any selected damage type equal to the MP spent. To gain Soak against all damage types, the cost is 1 MP per +1 Soak instead, and the spell uses abjure self.

Can the "against all" also work against Psychic, which states that it can only be SOAKed where specified. Is "all damage" specific enough?

Remove ads