D&D 5E Questions About Converting Skill Challenges to 5e

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I’d like to ask those of you with some rules mastery in both 4e and 5e for help converting some elements of 4e’s Skill Challenges to 5e. For clarity’s sake, I’m referencing the rules as presented in the 4e Rules Compendium. I’m looking for a (fairly) straight conversion to 5e.

First up is the section on Level and DCs. 5e’s bounded accuracy and static DCs seem to obviate 4e’s DC by level. However, I’d like some thoughts on the matter since there is some variance in level (due to Proficiency Bonus and increasing Ability Scores).

Second, the Consequences section. The Failure subsection mentions the loss of a Healing Surge as one example. Since 5e doesn’t really have a direct equivalent, do you have suggestions for comparable mechanical losses?

Third, sill in the Consequences section. The Experience Point subsection is probably my biggest conundrum because 5e uses CRs instead of Levels for determining a monster’s difficulty to overcome and there is no simple, direct correlation between monster CR and a character’s Level. So, how would you handle assigning a CR (and, hence, XP) for a Skill Challenge?

Is there anything else that you would suggest or advise upon?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
OMG, And to think that I used to like 3e and then PF, but the jargon of PF2 (especially after the refreshing breath of air that 5e is with the natural language) is even more hideous than I remembered from a brief perusal: "There are a few common structures for tracking Victory Points that you might use for your new subsystem. You could come up with a structure based off one of the subsystems below, or you could create your own completely different structure if none of them match the way you’re running your game."

So technical, so decorrelated from the game world, so formal, I already had trouble with the formalism of the Skill Challenges, there is no way I can dig into that monstrosity, but to each his own, I suppose. But I really have enough formalism at work...
I’d prefer the perhaps overly-formal language of PF2 over arguing for 17 pages about the intent behind a casually-placed em dash

Remove ads