• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Questions about globe of invulnerability 5e

Leo_ASF

First Post
Can a caster counter spell globe of invulnerability?

Can it protects someone other than the caster? since it has 10 ft radius, like stepping in front of a fireball explosion to protect someone

Can an allied caster cast heal or something good trough the globle?

Can you cast from inside the globe?

Has anny effects vs arrows or other physical attacks?

Sorry if this has been asked before :)

Sent from my D6603 using EN World mobile app

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Can a caster counter spell globe of invulnerability?

Can it protects someone other than the caster? since it has 10 ft radius, like stepping in front of a fireball explosion to protect someone

Can an allied caster cast heal or something good trough the globle?

Can you cast from inside the globe?

Has anny effects vs arrows or other physical attacks?

Sorry if this has been asked before :)

Sent from my D6603 using EN World mobile app

You can counter it since you are countering it while it is being cast and so it isn't in effect yet.

Anyone inside the globe is protected from spells cast from outside the globe. If you are standing in front of someone and the area is hit by a fireball, they will only be protected if they are with the globe. If standing behind you but outside the globe, they will take damage.

A healing word cast by someone outside the globe on someone inside the globe would fail. Any spell cast by someone inside the globes does not. The spell blocking effect is one way so any spells cast from inside take effect normally.

The globe has no affect against anything that is not a spell of 5th level or lower so missiles, magical or mundane, will get through.

MarkB

Legend
Since it doesn't prevent physical movement, any creature, allied or not, can step into or out of the globe so long as there is room to do so.

Chris Coates

First Post
So what do we think about friendly fire ...

The description says "Any spell of 5th level or lower cast from outside the barrier can’t affect creatures or objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Similarly, the area within the barrier is excluded from the areas affected by such spells ..."

- So if an enemy wizard outside the globe shoots a fireball the globe blocks it (but as it doesn't block movement, if they move inside the globe and cast it we're all toast). If I cast a fireball from inside the globe though and it explodes just outside the globe (which seems to be fine RAW) does the area of my own spell penetrate back inside the globe because I was inside the globe when I cast fireball? I imagine that I can't have my cake and eat it ... if the spell is designed to block things like enemy fireballs, then the enemy caster is "outside the globe" (rather than taking the "cast" as the point of the target) when they cast fireball at me I'm immune to the effects, even if the target me directly (inside the globe). Therefore I'm "inside" the globe when I target the enemy, and the globe doesn't work to protect me from my own area of effect if I'm too close?

What I'm looking for of course is something that protects me and the party when I throw fireballs into the mix at close range - like a one-way barrier that lets my spells out, but none of the effects back in.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
If I cast a fireball from inside the globe though and it explodes just outside the globe (which seems to be fine RAW) does the area of my own spell penetrate back inside the globe because I was inside the globe when I cast fireball?
Yes, it does. It's not really a question of friends vs enemies, just whether you are inside or outside the globe when you cast the spell.

Remove ads