• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Questions about globe of invulnerability 5e

Croesus

Adventurer
When asking questions about a specific spell, I find it's always useful to include the full spell description (if it's in the basic rules).

Globe of Invulnerability
6th-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (10-foot radius)
Components: V, S, M (a glass or crystal bead that shatters when the spell ends)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

An immobile, faintly shimmering barrier springs into existence in a 10-foot radius around you and remains for the duration.

Any spell of 5th level or lower cast from outside the barrier can’t affect creatures or objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Such a spell can target creatures and objects within the barrier, but the spell has no effect on them. Similarly, the area within the barrier is excluded from the areas affected by such spells.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the barrier blocks spells of one level higher for each slot level above 6th.

As can be seen in the description, the spell only affects spells based on where they are cast. A caster just outside the globe casts fireball, the globe blocks out the spell effect. A caster inside the globe casts fireball, the globe has no effect.

Of course, the caster could move outside the globe (since it's immobile), cast fireball (and be affected), then move back inside the globe. That might be an interesting tactic for a caster immune to a specific element...

edit: One other thought. I don't believe a caster could use his familiar to deliver a touch spell through the globe. The caster is still outside the globe, so the spell can't affect anyone within it, even if the familiar then enters the globe. Similarly, a caster who casts vampiric touch outside the globe could not then enter the globe and use that spell on someone within the globe. Hmm, this could get very confusing...

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I also like to reiterate the "immobile" nature of the globe. That is very important. It makes for a great "defend this spot" kind of spell or for a big fight in an enclosed area...but its not walking spell invincibility.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I also like to reiterate the "immobile" nature of the globe. That is very important. It makes for a great "defend this spot" kind of spell or for a big fight in an enclosed area...but its not walking spell invincibility.

Yeah, but that bugs me. In 1st edition there was no mention of it being immobile.

So the ancient evil wizards would cast it and move around the battlefield, raining destruction.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, but that bugs me. In 1st edition there was no mention of it being immobile.

True, but a lot of spells have been adjusted since 1st edition:) Ultimately it is still a ridiculously good defensive spell for a big fight, especially ones against major spell casters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads