Questions about vampire 5th ed rules

OniDaimyo

Villager
I was watching the LA By Night stream, ran by Jason Carl and I have a few questions. Can vampires no longer soak damage? Non-lethal and lethal can be soaked by vampires...only agg cannot unless you have fortitude? Jasper should of been able to soak up that superficial damage he took in Ep 1 and 2 quite easily. Jason also had those rats be able to see Jasper even though he was obfuscated? Doesn't Obfuscate affect the mind? Thus the rats would NOT have been able to sense him and I know Obfuscate affects smell as well, unless things have been changed since v20 and earlier?

Does every dang power cost blood now? That's rather lame if it does. Are there optional rules suggested to change some things like that?

Thin bloods as a clan is lame. Can they go back to being able to be of any clan?

5ekyu

Hero
66 views and not one person has any answers?

For my view it was the nature of the questions - combo of how stream does it and also references to first and previous eds that made it a bit more of a task than just questions about 5th ed would.

In general, i find direct questions about how an edition does something are more often going to get answers.

I was watching the LA By Night stream, ran by Jason Carl and I have a few questions. Can vampires no longer soak damage? Non-lethal and lethal can be soaked by vampires...only agg cannot unless you have fortitude? Jasper should of been able to soak up that superficial damage he took in Ep 1 and 2 quite easily. Jason also had those rats be able to see Jasper even though he was obfuscated? Doesn't Obfuscate affect the mind? Thus the rats would NOT have been able to sense him and I know Obfuscate affects smell as well, unless things have been changed since v20 and earlier?

Does every dang power cost blood now? That's rather lame if it does. Are there optional rules suggested to change some things like that?

Thin bloods as a clan is lame. Can they go back to being able to be of any clan?

"Soak" - Superficial damage such as normal guns vs vamps or fist vs humans is reduced automatically when applied - so no roll is required - its a % - so on the stream you would not "see it" but it was there. The Fortitude discipline has options a vamp can choose to change that even more. "Rouse Checks" that risk hunger can repair superficial damage.

"Cost blood" - The 5th ed does not track blood levels like previous ed did but instead ties it all into hunger stat. A few low tier abilities do not require "rouse checks" but most do. A "rouse check" can give you more hunger.

Every time you make a roll, some of your dice are hunger dice and what they roll can have pretty dramatic impact - as you might expect.

not gonna dive into the various discipline vs discipline and obfuscate rules.

OniDaimyo

Villager
It was reduced in v20 as well but that's for being a vampire, THEN you still had your stamina roll. Lethal damage isn't automatically reduced. Its soaked with stamina. But in V20 if you punched a vampire the damage is halfed and then soaked. It is not simply just halved, so maybe you are thinking incorrectly?

I did not ask how the stream was being done, I was asking about the rules because at times it seemed Jason was getting them wrong?

If they don't track blood levels then what is the point of being a elder? One of the advantages of better generation is higher blood pool. How do hunger checks work for vampires of a lower generation then?

And I do think he did Obfuscate wrong unless 5th ed changed it and made it weaker. Which is rather lame imo. Obfuscate doesn't affect your physical eyes, it affects the mind so a person walking around with unseen presence is actually avoided unless its really impossible to do so. If someone obfuscated were standing in front of you and you threw a punch, you'd actually subconciously throw it past them or over them. Its not mere D&D invisibility, unless once again, 5th ed changed how it works?

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
For my view it was the nature of the questions - combo of how stream does it and also references to first and previous eds that made it a bit more of a task than just questions about 5th ed would.

For my view, I thought this was a thread about Vampires in 5th edition D&D because I forgot I was on the general RPG forum. Since I haven't played Vampire since 1e, I'm not really likely to contribute much. But since the OP complained that people were viewing but not commenting, I'll take that as soliciting useless but amusing comments like this.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
66 views and not one person has any answers?

This site, like many, gets visited and read by many thousands of people who merely read and don't create an account or post. 66 visitors popping in to look at a thread isn't unusual.

Darth Palpy

Explorer
It's tied to blood potency and generation. With a sufficiently high blood potency (I don't remember right now the number exactly), your disciplines rouse check (for example can be re-rolled, a blood potency 3 giving you the possibility to reroll rouse check up to the second level of discipline, blood potency 5 up to the third level, etc...
Also, there is now only two type of damage, superficial & aggravated. For a vampire, physical superficial damage is automatically divided by 2. To substract damage, the only way is fortitude, at least at 2, which give you the capacity to substract a number of superficial damages equal to your Fortitude rating.

OniDaimyo

Villager
It's tied to blood potency and generation. With a sufficiently high blood potency (I don't remember right now the number exactly), your disciplines rouse check (for example can be re-rolled, a blood potency 3 giving you the possibility to reroll rouse check up to the second level of discipline, blood potency 5 up to the third level, etc...
Also, there is now only two type of damage, superficial & aggravated. For a vampire, physical superficial damage is automatically divided by 2. To substract damage, the only way is fortitude, at least at 2, which give you the capacity to substract a number of superficial damages equal to your Fortitude rating.

So fortitude no longer helps soak aggravated damage?

Remove ads