• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions concerning Chaos Magic (Mongoose)

Berandor

lunatic
I've got two questions concerning Sam Witt's Chaos magic:

1) How do the movement effects work? Is it a teleportation effect, or do you just move very fast?

2) In the examples, minor movements are given a DC of 5. Which is correct? 5, or 15?

Berandor

Sam Witt

First Post
I don't have my books here with me, but I'll try to get you an answer tonight.

I believe, but could be misremembering, that there are two ways that a movement effect can work. If the character is essentially just moving really, really fast, then it the effect has a lower DC than a movement effect that teleports the character.

The discrepancy in the description may be based on this, but I'll have to check the book more closely tonight for a real answer.

Sam Witt

First Post
After looking at my book, here's the way I'd rule it:

1> Movement effects involve teleportation - the target disappears at one point and re-appears at another without crossing the intervening distance. Movement effects that provide extra actions do not involve teleportation, obviously.

2> The correct DC for a minor movement effect is 15.

Now, that said, you could probably introduce this variant:

Movement effects with a range of close can have a Casting DC of 5, if the target actually crosses the intervening space. So, if your target is basically thrown 25' by a movement effect, but is not teleported, then the DC would be 5.

Characters moved by chaos magic should not incur attacks of opportunity as a result of the spell and will stop if they are moved into a square that contains another creature or their path is blocked.

That's just off the cuff, but it should work with a little adjustment.

Remove ads