Questions concerning Chaos Magic (Mongoose)

Berandor

lunatic
I've got two questions concerning Sam Witt's Chaos magic:

1) How do the movement effects work? Is it a teleportation effect, or do you just move very fast?

2) In the examples, minor movements are given a DC of 5. Which is correct? 5, or 15?

Berandor

Sam Witt

First Post
I don't have my books here with me, but I'll try to get you an answer tonight.

I believe, but could be misremembering, that there are two ways that a movement effect can work. If the character is essentially just moving really, really fast, then it the effect has a lower DC than a movement effect that teleports the character.

The discrepancy in the description may be based on this, but I'll have to check the book more closely tonight for a real answer.

Sam Witt

First Post
After looking at my book, here's the way I'd rule it:

1> Movement effects involve teleportation - the target disappears at one point and re-appears at another without crossing the intervening distance. Movement effects that provide extra actions do not involve teleportation, obviously.

2> The correct DC for a minor movement effect is 15.

Now, that said, you could probably introduce this variant:

Movement effects with a range of close can have a Casting DC of 5, if the target actually crosses the intervening space. So, if your target is basically thrown 25' by a movement effect, but is not teleported, then the DC would be 5.

Characters moved by chaos magic should not incur attacks of opportunity as a result of the spell and will stop if they are moved into a square that contains another creature or their path is blocked.

That's just off the cuff, but it should work with a little adjustment.

Remove ads