D&D 5E Questions from a DM that's kinda new 5E

nevin

Hero
One of my players is running an arcane trickster. There's a few things he wants to do that haven't come up before for me.

1) He wants to use Silent Image or Minor Image to something like make a duplicate image of a door a couple feet forward so he can crouch behind the illusion, pick the lock, open the door, go into the room, and then close the door. With no one able to see him the whole time. Do you agree that would work? Would a guard at the end of the hall get a save to notice the door 'move' closer?

2) He wants to set up some paid informants in the cities they travel to on a regular basis. How much would you go into this? How much should it cost? How hard should I make this? What kind of checks should be used?

3) He wants to make some poisons to put on his thrown daggers. The rules to craft poisons seem... early unworkable?!? Or maybe we just aren't reading it correctly. Is there some kind of guide to make this easier for us to understand? Also are there any rules on harvesting poisons from snakes, spiders, or whatever?

Thanks in advance.
poisons from natural creatures generally have a short shelf life, and as a DM remember in almost any town, city or kingdom poisons will be illegal or at least socially unacceptable. If it becomes public knowledge that they are using poison it will hinder them socially and maybe even make them a criminal with a price on their head. No "good " character should be ok with it. Even some thieves guilds might kill him for using poison. Getting caught using poison could land him in jail and possibly locked into dealing with the most unsavory people for any kind of business. he might have to go to the assassains guild suppliers to buy basic items because no one else will do business with him. s

I'd probably look at what the creature's natural poison does and let him coat a weapon with it and use the same rules the creature used. DC, damage , etc. I wouldn't let the poisons last for more than a few weeks though. I'd suggest week one full strength, week two -3 to DC , after that useless to maybe a mild sickening effect.

nevin

Hero
some DM's go to the no one knows how to harvest it trope but if you know where the venom comes from, Fangs, saliva etc, it's not hard to harvest. It might be hard to harvest "Safely" depending on the poison though.

Remove ads