• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions on Double Move

lin_fusan

First Post
My group got into a debate about double moves and such, and I wanted to see what the community says about it.

I attempted to use a Move Action to Shift out of an enemy's reach and then substituted my Standard action into another Move action to Run out of the fight.

However, people were telling me that I couldn't do that for two reasons:

1) It is considered a Double Move, and Page 284 in the PHB says that if you take a Double Move, you must take the same action twice, ie. Shift-Shift or Run-Run.

2) Disengaging like that causes an Opportunity Attack, which was why I Shifted in the first place.

Thoughts?

Herschel

Adventurer
They're full of bunk. See the table on Page 268 of the PHB. Shifting then moving is taking two move actions, substituting the second for your standard action, and is perfectly legal.

Khime

Explorer
They have their logic backwards, and need to re-read the rules for double move.

Correct: On your turn, you can move twice if you take a move action instead of a standard action. If you take the same move action twice in a row - two walks, two runs, two shifts, two crawls - you're taking a double move (and get the benefits, such as being able to 'end' your first move in a spot you couldn't normally stop, and possibly moving farther in difficult terrain).

Incorrect: On your turn, you can move twice if you take a move action instead of a standard action. If you do this, you're taking a double move, so must take the same move action twice in a row - two walks, two runs, two shifts, two crawls.

And disengaging like that would only cause an OA if after your first shift you were still somehow in a square that would provoke one if you left it. Indeed, they are full of bunk.

Last edited:

lin_fusan

First Post
I think what is tripping them up is the entry for Double Move. They concluded that if I wanted to take two Move actions, then I am taking the Double Move action. And if I am taking a Double Move action, they must be the same action.

I'm wonder why even have an entry there codifying taking the two same move actions? It only leads to the confusion that I have experienced.

Also, I noticed that my group is playing 3.0 rules in terms of opportunity attacks. We get attacks when creatures get up from prone. At first I thought they were house rules, but now I'm not so sure...

IanB

First Post
I'm wonder why even have an entry there codifying taking the two same move actions? It only leads to the confusion that I have experienced.

Because without that entry, you would have to be in a legal position at the end of every move, and thus couldn't, say, go the full 12 squares if your speed was 6 and the 6th square had one of your allies in it.

Dalzig

First Post

The Double Move action allows you to add your speeds together. This applies when going through difficult terrain, moving through allies, and when jumping long distances. If it wasn't for Double Move, the longest you could ever jump would be your speed.

lin_fusan

First Post
Yeah, I just realized why the Double Move entry exists the moment I hit "Submit".

Now I have to convince my gaming group that they're playing 4e wrong. :p

CovertOps

First Post
Also, I noticed that my group is playing 3.0 rules in terms of opportunity attacks. We get attacks when creatures get up from prone. At first I thought they were house rules, but now I'm not so sure...
If they are playing it this way it is indeed house rules. Getting an extra attack just for knocking someone prone would just make it so that every melee type takes as many knock prone powers as they can find. I don't have the books handy, but standing up is a move action that does not provoke OA. Also if someone is standing in your square (enemy or ally does not matter) you can shift 1 for free in addition to standing up.

Remove ads