Questions

Caliber

Explorer
Hello all. As the past few of my posts might have indicated, I am starting to play in a Sci-Fantasy DS-FS-SW (DragonStar-Fading Suns-Star Wars)

Anyway I have a few questions about this.

1) Would you let a Sonic weapon do damage within the area of a 15' Silence spell? What about a Laser weapon inside a Darkness spell?

2) Would a Laser go through a Wall of Force? You can see through the wall, so obviously light passes through. Does cohearent light?

3) Not really along the Sci-Fantasy vein, but does anyone else allow spellcasters to receive bonus 0th level spells for having high ability scores? It seems odd that talented spellcasters can cast more 1st level spells than 0th level spells. Seems goofy to me.

If anyone else can think of some possible Magic-Technology interaction funny bussiness, please post them here too. I plan on sending my group all responses from this thread so that we will all be prepared. :D

Thanks again.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Caliber said:
1) Would you let a Sonic weapon do damage within the area of a 15' Silence spell? What about a Laser weapon inside a Darkness spell?
I think I recall WotC saying that Sonic works within Silence.

3) Not really along the Sci-Fantasy vein, but does anyone else allow spellcasters to receive bonus 0th level spells for having high ability scores? It seems odd that talented spellcasters can cast more 1st level spells than 0th level spells. Seems goofy to me.
Know the Extra Slot feat from T&B? Buying it can lead to the same thing - e.g., having more 5th- than 4th-level spell slots. So why not? :)

Caliber

Explorer
Personally our group does it to satisfy everyone. Half of us are hardcore Sci-Fi and the other hardcore Fantasy. I would be happy to play without the spaceships and laser blasters but such is life. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do know what you mean about the Sonic attack Darkness. A spell in either FRCS or MoF states it. I am leaning towards using that as a basic for Lasers slicing through darkness.

I guess no one wants to comment on this. Ah well. Thanks. :D

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Questions

Darkness said:
I think I recall WotC saying that Sonic works within Silence.

Actually, I just had a look at the silence spell description in the PHB, and it explicitly blocks sonic attacks.

Caliber

Explorer
What about invisibility? Would a laser go through an invisible person?

I will have to go look at the Silence spell description. I guess I should have looked there first but since we all know the was WoTC organizes its info ... :D

Thanks!

gfunk

First Post
Caliber said:

2) Would a Laser go through a Wall of Force? You can see through the wall, so obviously light passes through. Does cohearent light?

Wow, some very interesting questions.

1) I agree with Hong, I remember that little diddy under the Silence spell in the PHB.

2) This is a really good one. I would argue that the Force effect would stop all of the thermal effects of the laser and only the "light" itself would make it through. This is somewhat like a Dragon breathing on the Wall -- other side would certainly light up but no heat would come through.

3) If I'm not mistaken, there is a feat that let's you cast more 0 level spells. Most of these spells are weak enough so that many have house-ruled them to let PCs cast them w/o limit.

Caliber

Explorer
I like your explanations gfunk. Consider them sent along to the group.

I don't know of the feat you are talking about, but I guess there very well could be one. I know there is a Psion feat that gives them extra 0th level powers per day.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
1) No.
2) No. Lasers are like rays IMO.
3) Sure, you can do this if you want. Not too useful at high levels, but I've considered allowing bonus 0th level spells equal to bonus 1st level spells.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: Re: Questions

hong said:

Actually, I just had a look at the silence spell description in the PHB, and it explicitly blocks sonic attacks.
There are some spells that say otherwise, though...

Remove ads