Quick Beholder Question

Stoat

Adventurer
The bog standard level 9 beholder has the following power as a triggered action:

Random Eye * Ray At-Will
Trigger: The beholder is conscious and an enemy starts its turn within 5 squares of it.
Effect (No Action): The beholder uses one random eye ray against the triggering enemy.

Am I correct that the beholder can use this power multiple times per round? In other words: paladin starts his turn, zap! rogue starts his turn, zap! cleric starts his turn, zap!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I have run 1 beholder and fought one beholder in 4e.
Each killed one PC.

Which is about the same lethality as earlier editions. I consider fighting them to be like a russian roulette game withe the party.

The bog standard level 9 beholder has the following power as a triggered action:

Random Eye * Ray At-Will
Trigger: The beholder is conscious and an enemy starts its turn within 5 squares of it.
Effect (No Action): The beholder uses one random eye ray against the triggering enemy.

Am I correct that the beholder can use this power multiple times per round? In other words: paladin starts his turn, zap! rogue starts his turn, zap! cleric starts his turn, zap!

Yes. It's not an immediate action (1/turn) or free action (only 1 attack/turn). It's "no action" at-will, so use literally at-will. It's actually worse than an aura in some ways (since the beholder can miss), but of course, it does more damage/has nastier and more unpredictable effects than an aura would.

bargle0

First Post

Random Eye * Ray At-Will

Yes. It also means the beholder can use Random Eye while stunned, dazed, and dominated. Killing the beholder is always priority #1 at my table, since it's hard to incapacitate them and focus on sweeping up any helpers.

Remove ads