• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Draw and Shields

One of my players has asked me if I would "allow" quick draw to work for the ready/loose shield actions. I.e., if he took quick draw, would I let him ready or loose a shield as a free action. Two questions:

1) Is this already allowed/implied by the rules since shields can be used as weapons?
2) If not, does anyone see any particular problems with allowing it? My gut instinct was, "Yeah, sure. Why not?" but some nagging thought in the back of my head made me decide to post here, just to be sure.

Thanks!
NCSUCodeMonkey

the Jester

Legend
What an intersting point (shields as weapons).

I'd tend to say no, because readying a shield is a different action than readying a weapon.

Drawing and readying/loosing are distinctly differenct actions, so Quick Draw does not allow the situation you propose. However, I don't think it would be amazingly broken. If you think the player is trying to do it for RP reasons and not just powergaming, it wouldn't be bad. I think it would be best to allow them to ready the shield as a free action, but not loose one (since QD lets you draw a weapon as a free action, but not sheath one).

the Jester said:
What an intersting point (shields as weapons).

I'd tend to say no, because readying a shield is a different action than readying a weapon.
Yes, and hence my hesitation. But if you look at the wording of the actions in the SRD, they're nigh identical:
SRD said:
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.
SRD said:
Ready or Loose a Shield

Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action.
Deset Gled said:
I think it would be best to allow them to ready the shield as a free action, but not loose one (since QD lets you draw a weapon as a free action, but not sheath one).
An excellent point. If I do allow the player to do this, I'll certainly enforce this restriction. Thanks for the help so far!

NCSUCodeMonkey

Storyteller01

First Post
I'd say no, but I tend to add more reality than strictly necessary to my games. Won't kill the game if you allow it though. Might be able to quick don a shield with aid, allowing someone to give up a move action for your free action (a reason for having the squire come along??).

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
My reading is that they can use Quick Draw to produce a shield from wherever they have it slung as a free action, in such a fashion as to immediately be able to smack someone with it. However, they'll still need to take a move action to ready it if they wish to gain a shield bonus.

Conversely, until and unless they do actually ready it, they can simply drop the shield as a free action, rather than requiring a move action to loose it.

-Hyp.

LokiDR

First Post
That is interesting. Though it isn't written clearly, can you bash with a shield you haven't readied? If so, what is the point of the statement "If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round)." which seems to presume you HAVE and AC bonus? What does it look like to use an unreadied shield in a shield bash?

Remove ads