Quick Item Creation Question

poop

First Post
I'm a player, trying to figure out some item creation prices with my DM is without access to the internet, or books.

In the case of an Axe +2 that is keen and flaming, is the pricing:

+4 weapon (total market modifiers) for a cost of 32,000

or

+2 weapon + 1 for keen + 1 for flaming for a cost of 12,000

The correct answer is most appreciated.

Wait, another question just popped up....

Does the +2 from the adamantine enhancement count towards overcoming damage reduction?

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
The total weapon's bonus is +4, so the market cost is 2000 GP * (+4) ^ 2 = 32,000 GP.

As far as I know, the +2 enhancement bonus from adamantine will overcome damage reduction.

dcollins

Explorer
Adamantine's no good versus damage resistance that requires enchanted weapons to beat it. The adamantine's "natural enhancement" is not the same as an "enhancement" bonus. (Like "armor" and "natural armor" bonuses, but failing to stack like masterwork bonuses combined with "enhancements".)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Alright, I want proof of that statement.

This seems like the distinction between "armor" and "natural armor". They both get disregarded when it comes to touch attacks. Maybe the "enhancement" bonus and the "natural enhancement" bonus both work against DR as well. Just seems to make sense to me, but if you can find it in the rules one way or the other, let me know.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Maybe the "enhancement" bonus and the "natural enhancement" bonus both work against DR as well. Just seems to make sense to me, but if you can find it in the rules one way or the other, let me know.

I'd be inclined to let both work... and the DMG entry, I think, could be interpreted either way.

But MMp9 under "Damage Reduction" states :

"A magic weapon or a creature with its own damage reduction can sometimes damage the creature normally".

and

"For example, the werewolf (DR 15/silver) takes normal damage from weapons with +1 or better magical bonuses, but not from non-magical weapons made from material other than silver".

Both those quotes would seem to exclude adamantine.

-Hyp.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I don't think you can lump adamantine in with "non-magical weapons". I'm still of the opinion that it would work, otherwise it might be a better idea to invest in only magic weapons and not bother with special metals.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm still of the opinion that it would work, otherwise it might be a better idea to invest in only magic weapons and not bother with special metals.

That's generally my opinion too...

I don't think you can lump adamantine in with "non-magical weapons".

... but isn't that sort of their whole "thing"? It gets bonuses to attack and damage, but it's a "non-magical weapon made from a special material"?

-Hyp.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

... but isn't that sort of their whole "thing"? It gets bonuses to attack and damage, but it's a "non-magical weapon made from a special material"?

-Hyp.

That's kind of my point. An adamantine weapon isn't just a "non-magical" weapon. It's special and has its own attributes due to the metal it is made out of. It's a non-magical weapon that also has a *natural* enhancement bonus, as opposed to a magical enhancement bonus.

dcollins

Explorer
The Sage has ruled in this regard a number of times, that the "natural enhancement" of adamantine weapons is distinct from magical "enhancements". Adamantine does not satisfy the requirement that armor/weapons with special abilities need "at least a +1 enhancement bonus" (DMG p. 179, 183). It does not satisfy the requirement that monster with DR be attacked by a weapon with an "enhancement bonus" (DMG p. 74).

Unfortunately I don't have an exact source I can direct you to for those rulings, so that's as much as I can add to this thread.

Remove ads