Resource icon

Quick & Memorable NPCs in 1 page 1.0

No permission to download

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
toucanbuzz submitted a new resource:

Quick & Memorable NPCs in 1 page - Rule of 3: visual, auditory, mannerism

An old Dungeon magazine article proposed a "rule of 3" for NPCs that would stick in player memory much more effectively than a raw physical description such as "you see a blue-eyed barmaid." This tells you nothing useful, generates no interest, and will quickly be forgotten. However, with a quick 3-pick, I can get (1) visual: absurd accessory, (2) auditory: speaks in whispers / weird laugh, and (3) mannerism: animated by violent talk. From there, in 30 seconds or...

Read more about this resource...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Love free resources. And fun ones, too. Rolling for the traits might slow @toucanbuzz down, but having to decide which ones I want, and then getting non-random-remorse afterward, slows me down 🤓

jgsugden

Legend
The best tool that we, as DMs, have in creating memorable PCs is our typical inability to act well.

I have a list of NPCs in my game. Next to each name I write the name of a memorable person or character from film or real life. Then I write two obvious features they have. When the PCs meet the NPC, I do my best to have the NPC act like the character I listed. Due to my horrid acting skills, this results in an unrecognizable, but typically consistent, persona for each PC. Then I can subtly reference one or both of the physical traits (which is often mentioning that the thing is missing) and the PCs feel like there is consistency.

Remove ads