• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quick thought on Barbarian Rage

JC99

Explorer
I was thinking about how this ability will work in the new system, and I hope they avoid both a straight up + to str/attack/damage and using the advantage mechanic, which it seems the're trying to remove from class abilities somewhat (the change to Fighter's Indomitable Will comes to mind.)

My hope is that Raging Barbarians will get an additional damage die to their weapon, making, for example, a Greatsword deal 3d6 and a Greataxe deal 2d12.

Of course I'm no mathematician or game designer, so I anticipate being ripped to shreds.

Abstruse

Legend
I can't remember how they were done in the playtest, but based on their current mechanic paradigm, I'd bet it'll be adding bonus dice in some way to attacks and damage (Advantage on melee attacks and +1d4 scaling with level damage) at the cost of Disadvantage on all saves and non-Strength/Dex/Con Ability checks, as well as granting Advantage to attacks against you. With levels, you'll probably get additional benefits like damage reduction or temporary hit points or whatever mechanics they go with.

jadrax

Adventurer
I can't remember how they were done in the playtest, but based on their current mechanic paradigm, I'd bet it'll be adding bonus dice in some way to attacks and damage (Advantage on melee attacks and +1d4 scaling with level damage) at the cost of Disadvantage on all saves and non-Strength/Dex/Con Ability checks, as well as granting Advantage to attacks against you. With levels, you'll probably get additional benefits like damage reduction or temporary hit points or whatever mechanics they go with.

Last play test version I saw, they got Advantage on Str Checks, got bonus damage between +2 and +4 and got double their level in Temp hit points. But, you could not take reactions.

I did not think it was great tbh.

obsid

First Post
The base rage is not that great in the playtest (a little damage, a little Temp hit points). But the rage is the base upon which the class builds. So with Reckless Attack at 2nd lvl you can get constant advantage on all melee attacks while raging (with the only downsides being you must attack every turn and you cant take reactions like opportunity attacks if they run away).

But say you didn't want to play the melee barbarian (as reckless attack only applies to melee attacks), then at lvl 3, and you get the Barbarian Path of Path of the Totem Warrior (halk). You can now get advantage on all dex based attacks so you can just sit back and shoot at people constantly from a distance and have advantage on every attack roll (are you really going to use that reaction much when your at a distance? Are you really not going to be attacking every turn anyway?).

That's the real power of raging (and you get at a fairly low lvl2/3 if you want to multiclass into it).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Last play test version I saw, they got Advantage on Str Checks, got bonus damage between +2 and +4 and got double their level in Temp hit points.

Using the character's proficiency bonus for extra damage would map onto +2 to +4 fairly cleanly, I expect.

Samurai

Adventurer
If the characters in Wizard's Amulet 5e are accurate, it works like this:

Berserker Rage: Krel can enter a berserk rage on his turn, as
a bonus action. When raging, he has advantage on Str
checks and saving throws, does an extra 2 points of damage
with melee attacks, and takes only half damage from
slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning attacks. The berserk
rage ends when Krel is knocked unconscious, when a full
round passes in which he neither attacks an enemy nor
takes damage, when he chooses to end it, or after 1 minute,
whichever comes first. He can enter a berserker rage
twice between long rests.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If the characters in Wizard's Amulet 5e are accurate, it works like this:

I like that more than temps. I've always felt temporary HP seem too much like some weird forcefield. The Basic PDF comes very close to describing them that way.

I wish they'd described them as "while having temporary hit points, you become particularly lucky and adept at ducking, weaving, and rolling with impacts so as to take extremely minimal physical injury from all sources of harm"

Instead we get "Temporary hit points aren't actual hit points, they are a buffer against damage, a pool of hit points that protect you from injury."

So a force-field. Right.

Samurai

Adventurer
I like that more than temps. I've always felt temporary HP seem too much like some weird forcefield. The Basic PDF comes very close to describing them that way.

I wish they'd described them as "while having temporary hit points, you become particularly lucky and adept at ducking, weaving, and rolling with impacts so as to take extremely minimal physical injury from all sources of harm"

Instead we get "Temporary hit points aren't actual hit points, they are a buffer against damage, a pool of hit points that protect you from injury."

So a force-field. Right.

I also like half damage from weapons because it leaves the Barbarian open to magical attacks, and gives a possible reason why Barbarians hate/fear magic while being able to wade through swords and clubs with less concern.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I also like half damage from weapons because it leaves the Barbarian open to magical attacks, and gives a possible reason why Barbarians hate/fear magic while being able to wade through swords and clubs with less concern.

Yes, this too! I like the imagery of a Barbarian with bruises, cuts, and a couple of arrows sticking out of him) but HE JUST DON"T CARE.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads