• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quintis the Warlord, what can he do and when can he do it?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

These look to have some good ideas for a warlord. You could probably take the leadership talent tree to help expand the main class and then use the influence, inspiration, and gambling trees as subclasses.

Force Points acted as action points, similar to bardic inspiration from the bard.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've been meaning to have a look at the star wars saga noble talent trees, it wasn't something that I immediately jumped out at me until you mentioned it. Making extra attack in a similar vein to the revised ranger is a good idea.

I think it does a lot of what the warlord needs to be a full 3 pillar class. I'd structure it like the warlock sans spells, with either superiority dice or something like Ki for maneuvers, and Tactics instead of invocations.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That is pretty much the idea. I do think there are some things there that hadn't been mentioned, like reactionary attack, but overall I mention swse bc it matches better to 5e action economy and wording/format, while doing the same things 4e does.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Yeah, same. After the revised ranger and Artificer, I kinda lost interest in tinkering with this stuff.

I think the recent Artificer and Revised Ranger UAs warrant a second look at the Warlord stuff that was created last year. When DMs Guild went live after the Mastermind and Purple Dragon Knight were released there was something to react against or include in a reworked attempt.

With the recent suggestions of flexibility on the action economy I think there's another opportunity to look at how the Warlord might manipulate it.

raleel

Explorer
I would suggest that Bravura not necessarily get extra attacks. While he is a front line guy, the Bravura is about risk taking. He's the guy who grants advantage and gets advantage. He's the guy who tempts a target to attack him so his buddy gets a free shot.

Also this is a good thread. Lots I am liking.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would suggest that Bravura not necessarily get extra attacks. While he is a front line guy, the Bravura is about risk taking. He's the guy who grants advantage and gets advantage. He's the guy who tempts a target to attack him so his buddy gets a free shot.
He was the aggressive, lead from the front type. There were some Bravura-aimed powers that marked for instance, a little third-string fighteryness. In 5e that maps to Extra Attack, the Fighter's Big Thing.

raleel

Explorer
He was the aggressive, lead from the front type. There were some Bravura-aimed powers that marked for instance, a little third-string fighteryness. In 5e that maps to Extra Attack, the Fighter's Big Thing.

I don't dispute the characterization at all. I just suggest that giving him an extra attack might not be the right way to deal with that. He's definitely front line. And he does have a few powers that mark. But I would suggest that heavy armor makes more sense than an extra attack. Better to survive the times when he willingly would grant advantage to give advantage to others.

Most of his powers involve advantage. Being flanked. Granting advantage. Making the opponent attack him. Moving friends to flank.

Heh. Several powers mark and grant advantage. Maybe straight up give him the option of marking even though it's annpptional rule.

Remove ads