• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quiver Equivalents

Let's say you've got a guy who specializes in throwing things. Hard.

If he was an archer, he could use the Quiver of Whatsisface to carry umpty-billion arrows, and produce them as quick as a wink. And he could do the same thing if he was tossing javelins at people, right?

What if he wants to use daggers, though? Or throwing axes? Or hammers, even! Or something else I'm not thinking of. Is there an equivalent to the quiver? Visually, I can't even quite picture anything that would work, short of plucking his weapons out of thin air.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
If he was an archer, he could use the Quiver of Whatsisface to carry umpty-billion arrows, and produce them as quick as a wink.
Using the SRD, this would be an efficient quiver. But, let's be clear that he draws them as a free action because drawing ammunition is a free action.

Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
And he could do the same thing if he was tossing javelins at people, right?
No.

Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
What if he wants to use daggers, though? Or throwing axes? Or hammers, even! Or something else I'm not thinking of. Is there an equivalent to the quiver? Visually, I can't even quite picture anything that would work, short of plucking his weapons out of thin air.
Get the feat Quick Draw.

frankthedm

First Post
The D&D system assumes one uses weapons costing thousands to tens of thousands gold pieces in value. Throwing those at your foes is not the grandest of ideas.

Especially intelligent NPCs who know what those weapons are worth. They’ll go out of their way to intercept the weapon and flee.

The one enhancement that lets the weapon come back to you takes a whole round to work. Plus enhancement costs rise by squaring so the price jumps pretty badly.

starwed

First Post
Let's say you've got a guy who specializes in throwing things. Hard.
Then you need to take the thrower PrC from 9swords. The level 4 "lightning ricochet" ability let's you get a full attack with the same weapon. ^_^ There's also a psionic power which let's you do the same thing.
The one enhancement that lets the weapon come back to you takes a whole round to work.
There's a slightly superior enhancement in the XPH:
Teleporting: This ability can be imbedded only in weapons that can be thrown. A teleporting weapon returns through the Astral Plane to the creature that threw it. It teleports into the throwing creature’s empty hand in the round following the round when it was thrown, just before that creature’s turn. It is therefore ready to use again on that turn.
Faint psychoportation; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, psionic dimension door; Price +1 bonus.
Unlike returning, you don't have to stay in the same square to catch the weapon again. (I still don't understand why thrower's are so gimped using core rules.)

Remove ads