• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race/Class combinations and setting implications

cdrcjsn

First Post
Great breakdown of the classes!

I see dwarven shamans though as more as ancestor veneration rather than nature worship, and dwarven druids as caretakers of the underdark/mountain ranges as well as mineral resources rather than tree loving hippies.

Sharkon

First Post
Halflings: Rogues (Artful), Sorcerer (Storm/Chaos Magic), Assassin (Night Stalker)

Are you refering to the assassin heroic path of the rogue ?

Angellis_ater

First Post
Hiya! Nice to see some responses to all of this.

Now since I've been DMing 4th Edition since it was released, I am very well versed in understanding how the Abilities aren't everything and how some race/class combinations can still be effective, especially adding in how certain feats interact with the classes. However, the basic premise of the posts are just that - what if the ability scores defined the roles of the races in the setting. Thus, the above assessments.

Also, an assessment which looks at the 2300+ feats and interacts those feats with the race/class combinations, or just adding in Hybrids into the mix, would make things insanely complex. I choose to keep things just a little bit sane :)

I can agree with the fact that some choices/suggestions are very subjective - as someone mentioned a "Bear Shaman Dwarf" might very well be a conservative Ancestor Shaman more than a "nature/woodsy" type. However, that Wisdom bonus does tend to style the Dwarves as far more mystical than they are portrayed in general "fluff".

@Sharkon: No, I refer to the class "Assassin" as portrayed in Dragon Magazine.

Sharkon

First Post
Hiya! Nice to see some responses to all of this.

Now since I've been DMing 4th Edition since it was released, I am very well versed in understanding how the Abilities aren't everything and how some race/class combinations can still be effective, especially adding in how certain feats interact with the classes. However, the basic premise of the posts are just that - what if the ability scores defined the roles of the races in the setting. Thus, the above assessments.

Also, an assessment which looks at the 2300+ feats and interacts those feats with the race/class combinations, or just adding in Hybrids into the mix, would make things insanely complex. I choose to keep things just a little bit sane :)

I can agree with the fact that some choices/suggestions are very subjective - as someone mentioned a "Bear Shaman Dwarf" might very well be a conservative Ancestor Shaman more than a "nature/woodsy" type. However, that Wisdom bonus does tend to style the Dwarves as far more mystical than they are portrayed in general "fluff".

@Sharkon: No, I refer to the class "Assassin" as portrayed in Dragon Magazine.

can you tell me which one exactly ? i would be gratefull

Angellis_ater

First Post
Just thinking - how does the fluff of the races change if one assumes that the above stated "class-synergy" reflects on the race as well? Dragonborn come across as definite "societal leaders", embracing different ways of the Dragon.

Budalic

First Post
I think you've gotten the eladrin wrong. Due to lack of Int/Con race (not counting MM Githyanki) Eladrin make arguably the best Int/Con Swordmages and Artificers, and they have the best feat suport for Tactical Warlords (and are, IMO, on par with Genasi, or a bit better), while they don't shine so much as Wizards (Humans, Thiefling, Genasi, Deva, Gnome, Githzerai, Shardmind are all better choices, if by a small margin).

What fluff, though, can you get from race that favors Swordmages, Artificers, Warlords and Wizards?

Angellis_ater

First Post
Well, I've been looking exclusively at the Ability modifiers for the Class/Race-combinations and unfortunately, the Eladrin don't have a Con modifier. Whatever feat support might be in existance generally twists these things very much - since some feats are much better than others.

Remove ads