Race: Elflings

IcyCool

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I'd rather get rid of weapon familiarity for this race entirely, as neither elves nor halflings have it. Sure, as pointed out earlier, there are precedents for giving a half-race benefits unique to that race, but weapon familiarity is ultimately a cultural trait.

A fair point. Perhaps, given that this race has such extraordinary dexterity, you could give this race a straight-up "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Two-Bladed Sword)"?

Dungannon

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Overall, the race appears as though the race receives a bit much in benefits. I'm not sure if I like them at medium size. Maybe a Frail Build ability (opposite of Powerful Build), if they must be medium?
Please explain, as I'm not familiar with "Frail Build" or "Powerful Build".

Knight Otu

First Post
Powerful Build is an ability that half-giants from the Psionics rules have. It essentially allows them to function as though they were one size category larger than they actually are in a number of circumstances.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Dungannon

First Post
Okay. What I'm thinking is, the Elflings are slim & slender (-2 to Str & Con), weighing less than other races of their height. This reduced weight allows their movements to be smoother and quicker (+2 Dex), thus the 30' movement rate.

Dungannon

First Post
Okay, I've updated the proposal in the first post. One thing I can't decide on is the Favored Class. I'm thinking rogue or bard, but can't decide.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I'd rather get rid of weapon familiarity for this race entirely, as neither elves nor halflings have it. Sure, as pointed out earlier, there are precedents for giving a half-race benefits unique to that race, but weapon familiarity is ultimately a cultural trait.
I agree. In normal 3.5, elves, halflings, etc normally have to spend a feat for Weapon Familiarity in their racial weapons, and it is still an advantage for them as compared to just take the EWP. Giving it out for free would be even moreso, and triply so for two races worth.

Personally, I don't see why we need anything more elf/halflingy than the tallfolk halfling in the SRD.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I agree. In normal 3.5, elves, halflings, etc normally have to spend a feat for Weapon Familiarity in their racial weapons, and it is still an advantage for them as compared to just take the EWP. Giving it out for free would be even moreso, and triply so for two races worth.

Personally, I don't see why we need anything more elf/halflingy than the tallfolk halfling in the SRD.
How about a note that they can take feats available to either Halflings or Elves? This solves the problem with weapon familiarity, as they can take the feat later if it's an issue.

I don't think they should be medium. How about small, but drop the -2 strength? Frail Build might be acceptable, but they just don't seem like a medium race.

The 30' base speed bothers me a bit as well, as they're a bit short.

How about a bonus to save vs sleep if you don't grant imunity? Maybe a +4 (Since it's racial, it wouldn't stack with the +1 unless you specificly mentioned it would, but that's not a big deal)

The sterile makes sense, and explains why they are rare and have little of their own culture.

Favored class, I think Rogue makes more sense than Bard. They're more outcast so they would be more likely to develope rogue like skills.

I'd adjust the hight range a bit to bring down the variance. 1d8 should be enough, and a fairly broad spectrum still for such a short race. it will aslo fix their weight issues a bit.

I think they should get something racialy unique, otherwise I realy don't see the race filling a needed void in the world. Couple thoughs on that:

I know you mentioned survival and heal bonuses earlier, perhaps the nature of the elfling is one that is more attuned to nature, give them a few skill bonuses that way, and make them favored class Ranger.

Perhaps there is a particular thing that suits them well, and they get a particular bonus feat, like Run for example (This would let you make them small but with 30' of movement, as they move quickly and gracefully, and their legs are built to move their body well)

Just some random thoughts, in no particular order.

Dungannon

First Post
Just a reminder, I've shelved this proposal with intentions to restructure it. I hope to have a suitable proposal for a similar, yet unique race in about a month. No more half-breeds, this'll be a whole new race.

Patlin

Explorer
Dungannon said:
Just a reminder, I've shelved this proposal with intentions to restructure it. I hope to have a suitable proposal for a similar, yet unique race in about a month. No more half-breeds, this'll be a whole new race.

Look forward to seeing it!

Remove ads