• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Race of snake cats for D&D. is true?

manche

First Post
I was tolf by a local DM that there's a Rcae of naga-likes that instead of having a human top half, they have a feline humanoid top half.

Is there such race or the DM was pulling stuff out of the ***?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
There might well be some 3rd party thing or a unique thing from an Adventure Path that looks like that. Nothing I'm aware of in Pathfinder. Closest thing I can think of is the pipefox.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Strangely the pipefox is a real world animal (kanko) - its a fox with very short legs and and long body, resembling something like a Dachsund. In Japan, folklore states that witches (mahou tsukai) could have a pipefox hiding in the sleeves of her kimono. So I find it odd, that a Bestiary would include a real world animal's name and apply to some quite odd snake-fox. As a designer, I could see adapting a completely fokloric being or concept and giving it a fantastical twist merging a snake and a fox. Obviously a pipefox is mostly unheard of outside of Japan, but that doesn't excuse taking a realworld beast and keeping the name, but replacing it with a fanciful being that never actually existed in Japan (or anywhere). Its like taking an animal like a dog, but now applying a different animal (say a cat) and calling it a dog.

The fictional pipefox, has a long serpentine like body (and often depicted so in anime movies), while the animal its based on the kanko is lythe fox that can easily fit inside a pipe - where its name comes from.

Robert Ranting

First Post
I was tolf by a local DM that there's a Rcae of naga-likes that instead of having a human top half, they have a feline humanoid top half. Is there such race or the DM was pulling stuff out of the ***?
It is called a tatzylwurm, and while not a playable character race, it is a monster from previous editions of D&D. Your DM probably saw the version of it in the Tome of Horrors by Necromancer games, which does have more of an anthropomorphic look to it. Incidentally, this is a creature from real-world germanic folklore, the name meaning "claw worm" in german, and it is pretty well established as a local legend/cryptid in the Alps region, if Google is to be believed.

Nellisir

Hero
It is called a tatzylwurm, and while not a playable character race, it is a monster from previous editions of D&D. Your DM probably saw the version of it in the Tome of Horrors by Necromancer games, which does have more of an anthropomorphic look to it. Incidentally, this is a creature from real-world germanic folklore, the name meaning "claw worm" in german, and it is pretty well established as a local legend/cryptid in the Alps region, if Google is to be believed.

I literally remembered this 60 seconds ago, and came here to post about it. Scooped! :)

So I find it odd, that a Bestiary would include a real world animal's name and apply to some quite odd snake-fox. As a designer, I could see adapting a completely fokloric being or concept and giving it a fantastical twist merging a snake and a fox. Obviously a pipefox is mostly unheard of outside of Japan, but that doesn't excuse taking a realworld beast and keeping the name, but replacing it with a fanciful being that never actually existed in Japan (or anywhere).
It seems like fair treatment, to me. I mean, salamanders are also real, but not quite like their D&D representation.

Remove ads