D&D (2024) Races as classes

Orcslayer78

Explorer
So pretty much what people have always done?

"No, really, this is going to be a totally new concept. It's going to be this guy, rebelling against authority, and he's going to be all cool-like. But he's an elf, get it! Not a human. So that's different. Right? And he can dual-wield. Also, blackface?"

....too soon?
probably your people can't roleplay, mine can

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I also disagree with this concept, and dislike the Bladesinger and Battlerager for reasons other then them not being great mechanics-wise, and that's because they're restricted by race. I think some (not all, or even most) Feats should be restricted by race, and class/subclass should always be open to any character race.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And now we hear SJW's want to eliminate "race/racist" races, classes, etc.

Mod Note:

From the EN World terms and Rules:

"...You MAY NOT use the terms "agenda", "ideology", "politics", or "propaganda" in relation to the inclusion of people slightly different to you in gaming products or other media, use pejorative terms such as "social justice warrior" or "virtue signalling" to dismiss the opinions of those you disagree with..."

So, you're done in this thread.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
The idea of races as classes is just quite dumb. Although the races may vary from the standard human culture in certain ways, not every member of the society could possibly have the exact same skills, abilities and specializations and still survive as a society.

For the concept of a "racial class" to be relevant, you would first need to propose that there was such a thing as "The Human Class". Think that is too broad? About the "Canadian" class? What skills and abilities would the "Canadian" class have? Still too broad? Fine-- how about the "Manitobian" class? Or the "Winnipegian" class?

Just how small of a group of people do you think you could really assign a single class and still imagine them actually functioning as a working society and breeding pool of individuals?

And-- no-- assigning them all exactly the same class does not add realism by making them "different" from humans. Having no variety in an entire people who are supposedly running a functional, civilized society turns them completely cartoonish as it becomes impossible for them to realistically function in the world except in cooperation with the other races.
Well off thetop of my head I would make humans feats into the class... so an extra skill, an extra feat, advantage on death saves

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Assuming that we're talking about a theoretical D&D 6e that's less hostile to multi-classing...

"Racial classes" that are about a person of a certain race learning to better use their racial abilities? So, for example, "dragon breath adept" for Dragonborn, that's all about mastering their breath weapon, or "doppleganger's apprentice" for a changeling that's learning to make the most of their natural gifts?

Sure, that might be interesting.

But "racial classes" that are about cultural/taught things (the noted bladesinger and battlerager, for example) shouldn't be race-locked. You can put in the fluff that they come from such-and-such place/culture, and that they are normally taught only to such-and-such folks, but leave it up to the GM to decide if a dwarf can convince an elf to teach them bladesinging.

Don't write rules that enforce lore.

Gadget

Adventurer
Though I may catch flack for it, I quite liked the old "Elf" and "Dwarf" classes from BECMI D&D. Sure the implementation left a lot to be desired in some ways (mostly mechanical), but I've always seen the class system in D&D as representative of fantasy archetypes--rather than professions or detailed representations of whole societies. In that respect, they could easily be seen as the type of character or hero found in a fantasy tale. Now the idea and conception of fantasy has changed a lot since those days.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Though I may catch flack for it, I quite liked the old "Elf" and "Dwarf" classes from BECMI D&D. Sure the implementation left a lot to be desired in some ways (mostly mechanical), but I've always seen the class system in D&D as representative of fantasy archetypes--rather than professions or detailed representations of whole societies. In that respect, they could easily be seen as the type of character or hero found in a fantasy tale. Now the idea and conception of fantasy has changed a lot since those days.
I have been looking at them and can not belive Druid Knight has not been updated

Remove ads