D&D 5E Races with floating bonuses: Designing from scratch

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'd remove racial ASI but go with a race-as-classes instead!

Class: Elf
Archetype: Bladesinger, High Mage, Wood Warden, Arcane Archer, Tempest

Class: Dwarf
Archetype: Dwarven Defender, Runepriest, Cavern Strider, Battlerager, Vault breaker

Class: Halfling
Archetype: Hurler, Sheriff, Burglar, Dog Rider, Chaplain of Arvoreen

etc etc
I have a feeling like that about 90% of new players aren't going to be happy with that.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
And both of them are inferior wizards compared to dwarves or custom lineage!
Which is why I'm not using that system and am instead going to do this:
Move it mostly to background and class. Everyone gets a total of +3 to their Ability Scores at level one, one from their race (based on their races/subraces boosts, which they choose), one from their background (Soldiers can choose a +1 to STR or CON, Scholars can choose a +1 to INT or WIS, etc), and one from their class (Wizards get a +1 to INT, Fighters get a +1 to DEX or STR, etc).

This should satisfy everyone. Race still matters, but your background and profession matters more.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I mean, we just got a system that lets you be just as good a wizard as an orc as you could be as a gnome. There's no way the community would accept that.

Who's to say that in this potential system there's no half-orc archetypes that is as good a spellcaster than the gnomes' caster archetype?

The half-orc could have a Stormsinger or Rage Mage archetype that could be on par with the gnome's Mist Caller or Phantasmagorist.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Who's to say that in this potential system there's no half-orc archetypes that is as good a spellcaster than the gnomes' caster archetype?

The half-orc could have a Stormsinger or Rage Mage archetype that could be on par with the gnome's Mist Caller or Phantasmagorist.
I didn't say that they wouldn't be as good at their roles as the other classes, but I don't think that the community in general would like restricting classes to race.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I didn't say that they wouldn't be as good at their roles as the other classes, but I don't think that the community in general would like restricting classes to race.
I'm going to agree with this. I remember playing old versions where you were an elf/dwarf/etc& it felt very constrained. Splitting it to race/class was a big improvement

Remove ads